kTool (just another software selector)

kenedy

AutoIt script for selecting/installing software.

kTool v1.1a

Source code

Features:

Works in GUI/Silent mode

Can work from GuiRunOnce/cmdlines.txt/Detached

Supports restarting (if any of installed software requires restart, PC is restarted and program execution is continued)

Autologon - if restarts are needed it (optionally) asks for currently logged on user password and writes autologon information to registry. Only required number of logons are written. Currently Win2000/XP only.

Separate software list for each Windows version (95/98/NT4/ME/2000/XP)

Full description

Screenshots:

Main GUI:

gui.jpg

Progress type 1:

Progress1.jpg

Progress type 2:

Progress2.jpg

ChangeLog

Older versions:

1.0c

First version

very nice tool...one thing I would like to say is I notice ktool can have parameters passed to it, maybe you could include a parameter string so that say someone could run ktool 1,3,4,7,8,10...which would in turn silently install the first app header listed in file.ini, then 3,4,7,8, and lastly 10, just a suggestion...I would say something about avlable, but you said not to mention the layout...

maybe you could include a parameter string so that say someone could run ktool 1,3,4,7,8,10...which would in turn silently install the first app header listed in file.ini, then 3,4,7,8, and lastly 10, just a suggestion...

This can be done but I can't imagine situation when this will be usefull. Can you explain it.

ya know what, youre right...because honestly, if you can type it in a cmd window, you could just select the software in the app...so, youre right...not really a good suggestion. Well, then, Id have to say this is **** near perfect (near cuz nothing is perfect ;) )

Suggestions that will make it more functional, on the other hand, will be carefully reviewed, and if I find them usefull - they will be added.

Suggestions:

how about Default Options, Select All, and Deselect All.

Seems pretty useful to me!!

Questions:

1) How many lines can each Program have? Can I have two RunWait commands in a row? 2 DosCommand ? etc?

2) For WaitProcess - am I typing the process name (the same thing i would use, for example, in TASKKILL - the exe in Task Manager?)

3) Could you explain the run from CD thing more clearly?

how about Default Options, Select All, and Deselect All.
I'll think about adding Default Options (or maybe remembering last selection)
1) How many lines can each Program have?  Can I have two RunWait commands in a row? 2 DosCommand ? etc?

Only one of each type. Enough for all the programs I use.

2) For WaitProcess - am I typing the process name (the same thing i would use, for example, in TASKKILL - the exe in Task Manager?)
Yes, the process name from Task Manager
3) Could you explain the run from CD thing more clearly?

If you are running kTool from CD, drive letter is basically unknown and you cant use full paths. So add Append=CD to .ini file and paths will become relative to kTool.exe. (the path to kTool will be appended to command path)

Example. Suppose kTool.exe is in D:\soft. So instead of typing

[someSoftware]

Run = D:\soft\Folder1\SomeSoftware.exe

you type

Run = Folder1\SomeSoftware.exe

Note that that way you lose ability to launch programs from network and other drives.

I'll think about adding Default Options (or maybe remembering last selection)
Default is the most important in that list, I just figured while you were at it, it would make it easier to do the other 2 as well...
Only one of each type. Enough for all the programs I use.

What if, for example, I have a program and an add-on? I'd have to do them seperately?

Also, I can have a list of up to 8 commands for one program (assuming they are all different commands, one of each = 8)

running kTool from CD

This sounds useful. Is it faster/slower than hard drive installation?

What if, for example, I have a program and an add-on?  I'd have to do them seperately?
Yes.

But there is alternative. For installing hotfixes I use:

[Hotfixes]

RunWait = ktool.exe hotfixes.ini

There is no reason to select each hotfix separately so I just launch another instance of kTool in silent mode to install all hotfixes. hotfixes.ini contains

[KBxxxxxx]

RunWait = KBxxxxxx.exe /switches

for every hotfix

This sounds useful.  Is it faster/slower than hard drive installation?

Installing software from CD? Slower.

Uploaded new version.

New parameters in .ini file - AutoSelect and SaveSelection.

AutoSelect - default options

SaveSelection - remembers what was selected and writes that information to AutoSelect

[Config]
AutoSelect = |WinZip 9.0|WinRAR 3.4|Acrobat 6.0
SaveSelection = 1