kTool (just another software selector)
Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:09 AM
Works in GUI/Silent mode
Can work from GuiRunOnce/cmdlines.txt/Detached
Supports restarting (if any of installed software requires restart, PC is restarted and program execution is continued)
Autologon - if restarts are needed it (optionally) asks for currently logged on user password and writes autologon information to registry. Only required number of logons are written. Currently Win2000/XP only.
Separate software list for each Windows version (95/98/NT4/ME/2000/XP)
Progress type 1:
Progress type 2:
Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:26 AM
Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:41 AM
This can be done but I can't imagine situation when this will be usefull. Can you explain it.
Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:49 AM
Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:38 AM
kenedy, on Sep 23 2004, 08:09 AM, said:
how about Default Options, Select All, and Deselect All.
Seems pretty useful to me!!
1) How many lines can each Program have? Can I have two RunWait commands in a row? 2 DosCommand ? etc?
2) For WaitProcess - am I typing the process name (the same thing i would use, for example, in TASKKILL - the exe in Task Manager?)
3) Could you explain the run from CD thing more clearly?
Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:57 AM
Only one of each type. Enough for all the programs I use.
If you are running kTool from CD, drive letter is basically unknown and you cant use full paths. So add Append=CD to .ini file and paths will become relative to kTool.exe. (the path to kTool will be appended to command path)
Example. Suppose kTool.exe is in D:\soft. So instead of typing
Run = D:\soft\Folder1\SomeSoftware.exe
Run = Folder1\SomeSoftware.exe
Note that that way you lose ability to launch programs from network and other drives.
Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:02 AM
What if, for example, I have a program and an add-on? I'd have to do them seperately?
Also, I can have a list of up to 8 commands for one program (assuming they are all different commands, one of each = 8)
This sounds useful. Is it faster/slower than hard drive installation?
Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:16 AM
But there is alternative. For installing hotfixes I use:
RunWait = ktool.exe hotfixes.ini
There is no reason to select each hotfix separately so I just launch another instance of kTool in silent mode to install all hotfixes. hotfixes.ini contains
RunWait = KBxxxxxx.exe /switches
for every hotfix
Installing software from CD? Slower.
Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:47 AM
New parameters in .ini file - AutoSelect and SaveSelection.
AutoSelect - default options
SaveSelection - remembers what was selected and writes that information to AutoSelect
[Config] AutoSelect = |WinZip 9.0|WinRAR 3.4|Acrobat 6.0 SaveSelection = 1
Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:41 AM
Really like your INI-syntax, very easy to use.
A few small suggestions for future versions of kTool:
- per application keyword 'default=1' for applications that should be installed by default
- global keyword 'autoInstallSeconds=360' will wait for user input till xxx seconds and than start installing the default applications only.
- little typo 'avialable' should be 'available .
- i don't like selecting applications by using the cursor keys, i would like to browse though the list with cursur keys and select with spacebar or double click (for example). Maybe you can fix that?
- sort the application list by alfabet.
Thats it. Hope you like the suggestions.
Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:57 AM
I have serious doubts about usefulness of this.
No. I like the current way. All mouse navigation is kept to minimum.
But then you can't sort them by category.
- ← make xp 64bit unattended
- Unattended Windows 2000/XP/2003
- Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation →