Verifying WinNTBBU.dll

I've started playing around with modifying the Winntbbu.dll file to make custom setup screens and I'm looking for a way to test the file without having to build a complete CD and running through the install.

I'm not looking for a way to check how the screen looks, what happens every now and then is that during text mode, setup will stop and give me a message that the file isn't a Windows setup file when it attempts to copy it to the hard drive.

This will happen even though I run the modifed file through modifype.exe.

So, is there a way to verify the CRC integrity of the file without having to go through the install?

Thanks

its the modified date...if the modified date changes, the file will no longer be copied in txtsetup mode, thereby causing the error you get...you should use reshack, and avoid hexeditors or anything else besides the bbu color changer...other than that, if you do use something else, you need a way to change modified date back to 8/4/2004

mmarable,

You can throw the custom winntbbu.exe file in the system32 folder (for your unattended install) and use the winnt32.exe file to check and see what it will look like full screen. You will not get the progress bar or windows XP information but you can see how most of your customizations will look and if it is not compatible you will get an error message. This will save you from having to run and install to see what your custom winntbbu will look like. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

That work great to run WINNT32.EXE to try your WINNTBBU.DLL !! Since last year, I always run a full install... I have lost about 3 month by testing before find this topic. Thanks runonce ! And run... again !!

Edited by azeqsd