messenger 5

jobbie

I'm using Xplode.

here's an example of an MSI install:

<execute display='Installing Citrix ICA Client 8.1...' program='%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\ICA 8.1\ica32pkg.msi' arguments='/QN' />

Worked before.. dunno why it isn't working now...

all I did was upgrade to the new XPCreate version, but I doubt that's the problem.

I'm going to take out the clutter, make a new ISO with failsafe patches and one MSI installer..

• 2 weeks later...

MSI Problem solved, it was the acrobat reader that gave control back to the install, but wasn't finished yet.

But still no go for Messenger 5

I made an iexpress package with messenger.msi in it following: http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/IEXPRESS/iexpress.htm

but still no messenger 5, but the messenger 4.7 directory is empty, except for one file lvback.gif so something started but didn't finish (?)

homiebrah did you install 4.7 or did you exclude it in winnt.sif?

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :realmad:

I'm giving up... wmaccess=on, wmaccess=off... no difference... :no:

Still the %ProgramFiles%\messenger directory with lvback.gif in it

I'm gonna install it using RunOnceEx :angry:

Installing it at T-12 just doesn't work.. with either xplode or xpcreate

• 2 weeks later...
MSI Problem solved, it was the acrobat reader that gave control back to the install, but wasn't finished yet.

But still no go for Messenger 5

I made an iexpress package with messenger.msi in it following: http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/IEXPRESS/iexpress.htm

but still no messenger 5, but the messenger 4.7 directory is empty, except for one file lvback.gif so something started but didn't finish (?)

homiebrah did you install 4.7 or did you exclude it in winnt.sif?

SVC-EXE is where mine is.

Still doesn't work :no:

Made iexpress put it in svc-exe xpcreated it with just sp2, no tweaks, no other updates

nothing

installed it using xplode (t-12) just msi with /qn, just sp2, no tweaks, no other updates

nothing

installed it using xplode (t-12) with iexpress, just sp2, no tweaks, no other updates

nothing

installed it with runonceex just msi /qn

works!

installed it with runonceex with iexpress

works!

it just will not install on t-13 or t-12

edit: and oh yeah I was using 5.1 all the time

@Jobbie, if you test it can you tell me if it works for you?

Edited by Glowy

I've IExpressed Windows Messenger 5.1 and placed it in SVC-EXE. While it does give me an error during setup about not being able to write to a registry key, it still seems to install and work correctly.

Anyone know what switch I can use to suppress the error message? Or can someone tell me (in detail) what they've done to install it cleanly using IExpress?

Thanks.

[EDIT]

Hmm, I don't actually know if I used msiexec /qn /i messenger.msi when I IExpressed it... I believe I only used /qn. I'll have to try it with /i.

While it does give me an error during setup about not being able to write to a registry key, it still seems to install and work correctly.

It gives me an error on the registry too, but it isn't installed

error is (translated from dutch so might not be exact):

Product: Windows Messenger 5.1 -- Error 1406. Cannot write value DW0200 to key \Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReproting\DW\Installed. Systemerror. Check if you have sufficient rights to this key, or contact support

eventID: 11406

Source: MsiInstaller

Owkay.. here is what I did,

I opened the MSI with ORCA and removed the key

\Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReproting\DW\Installed
DW0200

and now it installs okay using iexpress. :thumbup

going to try it in SVC-WMS now.

edit: SVC-WMS doesn't work :(

If anyone wants the edited MSI files I can post them here (I made a Dutch and English version)

Edited by Glowy

Thanks for the info. With the information in these posts, I was able to successfully (and silently) install Windows Messenger 5.1 by removing the registry key from messenger.msi using Orca.exe, then packaging it with IExpress using msiexec /qn /i messenger.msi as the setup command, and then putting the resulting file, messenger.exe, into SVC-EXE.

That was the last piece I needed to finish my CD.

Glad to be of some help.

That was the last piece I needed to finish my CD.

same here... now I can get back to updating the software versions...

I've been breaking my head over this one for quite some time.. but I'm glad it's cracked.. Don't really know what the key does. Something with office error reporting, can't be that important. And I didn't notice anything that didn't work.

Still wondering why it worked for homiebrah..