Its not nearly as difficult as the number of steps below seem to suggest (carrying out all of the below will only take 5 minutes in total). If you don't want to make another post saying "doesn't work" following the below EXACTLY will help, lol. Here we go:
Credits: MCT for making the easy INF install.
Note that after your first install of Maxthon once, there's no need anymore to use the original installer in which it came.
Maxthon as default browser on Windows XP (SP1 or higher):
1. Check that the below is existing in your winnt.sif:
[Unattended] OemPreinstall=Yes [Components] IEAccess=off2. Since Maxthon is based off IE and will use its settings too, look-up this topic for IE configuration - IE6 pre-config.
3. Download and install Maxthon manually.
4. Configure it to how you like it (the settings, toolbars, get rid of the "donate" dialogs, etc.)
5. Just before you close it, remember to set this:
We need it since that is what will set the protocols to associate with Maxthon after asking you, upon first-run (you need to click "yes I want to make Maxthon my default browser" when you run it first time after Windows is setup).
"Options >> Maxthon Options >> General >> When Starting"
Enable "Check whether Maxthon is your default browser"
6. Copy away Maxthon's installed folder (C:\Program Files\Maxthon) to elsewhere to have a safe copy.
7. Now put that folder onto your unattended CD - "\$OEM$\$Progs\Maxthon\" folder should now exist.
8. Explanation - The above way, during windows setup, you have it being copied automatically to "%ProgramFiles%\Maxthon"
9. Put the short-cut to Maxthon too - make a shortcut to it on the desktop, and put it as - "\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Maxthon.lnk"
10. Now, the registry entries in next step. Copy and paste the below into notepad:
[VERSION] Signature=$CHICAGO$ [DefaultInstall] AddReg=maxthon [maxthon] ; remember Maxthon setup folder HKCU,"Software\Maxthon","Folder",0x00000000,"%16422%\Maxthon" ;Make Maxthon the default browser from Start Menu ;Set the Start Menu sticky apps HKCU,"Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet",,,"Maxthon" ; Give details for the Internet Browser (as mentioned above) HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Maxthon","LocalizedString",0x00000000,"Maxthon Web Browser" HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\Maxthon\shell\open\command",,,"%16422%\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe" HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Maxthon.exe",,,"%16422%\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe" HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Maxthon.exe","Path",0x00000000,"%16422%\Maxthon"11. Save it as maxthon.inf
12. Now copy maxthon.inf to "\$OEM$\$Progs\Maxthon\" folder on your CD.
13. Add this line to any .CMD (batch-file) which you run at T-12 (through cmdlines.txt):
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %ProgramFiles%\Maxthon\maxthon.inf (this block is to be taken as one line, the page might have given a line-break)14. That's all. Make your CD and it should work. No IE, only Maxthon. Enjoy!
If there's any errors in the above, do post and tell. Hoping this helps....
Edited by prathapml, 18 November 2004 - 04:21 PM.