BootSkin Skin Install from RunOnceEx...?

Powerhouse

Ok, so I have been able to install themes for CursorXP, IconPackager, and WindowBlinds (had to use a Reg Key for WindowBlinds to make it totally work), but am not sure how to do the same with BootSkin (1.05). Here are the codes I've been using in RunOnceEx (please note, that each of the *.exe Installs were created with AutoIt 3 scripts).

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /VE /D "CursorXP 1.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\CursorXP\CursorXP_1.3.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\076 /VE /D "CursorXP Skin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\076 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\CursorXP\Abracadabra.CurXPTheme" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\077 /VE /D "IconPackager 2.5" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\077 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\IconPackager\IconPackager_2.50.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\078 /VE /D "IconPackager Skin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\078 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\IconPackager\Abracadabra.ip" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\079 /VE /D "WindowBlinds 4.4" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\079 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\WindowBlinds\WindowBlinds_4.40.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\080 /VE /D "WindowBlinds Skin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\080 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\WindowBlinds\Abracadabra.wba" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\079 /VE /D "BootSkin 1.05" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\079 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\BootSkin\BootSkin105.exe" /f

It appears the BootSkins have 3 separate files (note one like all the other applications).

Anyone have any advice or tips on getting this to work?

What reg key did you need to add for windowblinds...maybe I can add that into the script (automated).

I'll look into bootskin later today...hell I didn't even know about the app till I was surfing thier web site the other day. ;)

Any ways post what you come up with and I'll look into it as soon as I stop feeling like death warmed over....got a nasty cold right now. :(

Oh did those latest edits to IconPackager work out fine or are you still having issues with it?

Wow, ok, 1 at a time....hehehe...

1. Here is the reg key I use to install a theme with WindowBlinds v4.4 (this in addition to the RunOnceEX entry above)...

;----- WindowBlinds Silent Theme install

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\WindowBlinds\WB5.ini\WBLiteFX]

"Skinset"="C:\\Program Files\\GUI\\WindowBlinds\\Abracadabra\\Abracadabra.UIS"

"Skinset2"="Abracadabra"

The reason why I do the reg key, is because WindowBlinds needs you to click a popup tray bubble to apply the skin. Well you can't do this during RunOnceEx, so by adding the reg change, the skin is applied.

2. I found a couple of reg entries for BootSkin, but the problem is, Bootskin wants you to Apply them when the skin is selected. So my current work around is to run the Skin from RunOnceEx...

REG ADD %KEY%\082 /VE /D "BootSkin Skin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\082 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\BootSkin\WinBlue.bootskin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\082 /V 2 /D "taskkill.exe /F /IM BootSkin.exe" /f

Then add this to the registry...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

"INIPath"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\GUI\\BootSkin\\Skins\\WinBlue\\BootSkin.ini"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

This enables the Skin I want. Was hoping there was an easier way though.

3. Actually still having problems with IconPackager and CursorXP. Both popup windows after they are installed. CursorXP brings up the Mouse Properties Screen (from Control Panel). While IconPackager brings up the same window. The workaround is actually easy, after cleanup.cmd is run and the system reboots the folders go away.

blah lost my orginal responce...to foggy in the head and clicked the wrong button...blah

Well I'll look into fixing the scripts again...I don't know why it works for me and not you since we are both USA....very odd.

Any ways I'll do a write up and post some beta scripts for you to try out.

Okay since its been my experince that UIS file names always match the skin name and folder name I've added only one new user var "$SK_1" which should ideally match as I said before. So setting that value will add the values needed for the reg entry.

I've also added in that should the script fine a self extracting WinRar file (sfx) called Skins.exe it will extract it to the installation folder.

The base idea is that since all wba files are just zip files with the file extension renamed...on just extracts them into a folder then use's winrar to rar them then change the rar file into a plain jane sfx file...with no fancy stuff added. then drop the sfx file in with the compiled script and install file and one is good to go.

Same thing more or less applys to BootSkin as well.

I'll post a file with like changes to it as well.

Ok, I have been testing the BootSkin one, and have found a few problems (and stuff I needed to change for my install).

I guess you are installing a version that comes with LogonStudio (I have the freeware version from StarDock's website), as I dont have any of that Logon Studio stuff.

The script works good (and even the Wincustomize Window closes down now), but the Skin part doesn't work correct. Here is what I've done to correct it so far...

1. I fixed the name problem, should be this..

$SK_1 = "WinBlue.bootskin"

2. When the skin is extracted from Skins.exe, it is placed in the BootSkin folder (I changed the location in my install to GUI\BootSkin, and this is where the Skin is placed. However, this is incorrect, BootSkin reads all it's skins from the BootSkin\skins folder.

Ultimatly, what needs to happen is, the file is extracted from Skins.exe, and then executited. This will create the WinBlue folder under \skins, then BootSkin comes up, and you need to just click the Apply button. Then Click Ok when the new window pops up. Then Close the BootSkin Window.

Okay updated the script a bit. Use the same link above.

Okay the skin folder was some thing I goofed on. :)

How ever I don't think we are on the same track about the *.bootskin files....hehe and my head is still floating so...any ways the *.bootskin files are in and of them selves zip files....what I'm purposing you do is take them and extract them into a folder...which should in and of them selves create folders inside that one...which should match the name of the skin.

So if you have a file called WinBlue.bootskin and extract it into a folder called foo, there should now be a folder inside foo named WinBlue-

foo\WinBlue\

Now inside of WinBlue you should have *.bmp and bootskin.ini and maybe another file most likely another *.bmp

That aside...the idea behind the skin.exe is to archive a number of boot skins...that have already been decompressed, and place them where they need to be...I'm fairly certain that BootSkin is just reading the registry for the file to load...and if so then just the reg edit is needed.

Now $SK_1 should just be:

$SK_1 = "WinBlue"

Since its used for the reg edit only...example

"\" & $SK_1 & "\BootSkin.ini"

basically amounts to

\WinBlue\BootSkin.ini

The edit you just posted...would not apply correctly in this case. If is does then I'm dumbfounded as to how.

Well if I got things screwed up...I'll have to look over things in a day or so after I'm done with this cold...my head is total s*** right now :(

Any ways best of luck :)

Ok, the new BootSkin script is working very well. Only problem now is getting the correct Skin to load. Apparently, the two Reg keys listed don't seem to work (it keeps starting with the TimeWarp skin (and I have been unable to find where this setting is in the Registry.

These are the paths I've found so far...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

I'll look tomarrow, if there is a hidden switch I don't know about....

Well, I've tried both BootSkin and WindowBlinds, and am unable to get either to load the skin correctly. I have checked all the registry entries, but it appears there is something I'm missing and can't find.

The Strange thing is, if you actually click on either of the Skins (WinBlue for BootSkin, and Abracadabra - in my case - for WindowBlinds), and then apply the registry tweaks, they work fine. Must be missing some setting in the RAR.sfx files. Not really sure.

Is there a way to have AutoIt run the skin files, and perform the steps necessary to install them as part of the overall script?

So for example, after the WindowBlinds software is installed, the skin you want (*.wba file) is doubleclicked, and run (which requires the bubble in the system tray to be clicked to apply it). Or for BootSkin, when you double click the file, BootSkin comes up, and you need to click Apply, then Ok, to have the Skin installed.

Well I got some idea's of how to go about that...I'll see what I can get coded up.

*Update*

Got some thing for you to play with that should do the trick for WindowBlinds.

Just set $SK_1 to the name of the skin you want to use as it would appear in the skin browser...since thats how its going to find it. :)

I gave it a 4sec sleep "Sleep ( 4000 )" after selecting the skin...to hopefully give it time to load, before closing the browser window.

Just WinRar the decompressed skins like mentioned prior, and SFX it to a executable "Skins.exe" and place it next to the script and you should be good to go.

'Cross's fingers' ;)

I'll look into bootskin later.

Ok, found some new problems with the new WindowBlinds script...

1. #cs before Run causes the script to hang. Removing this causes the script to continue.

2. I get this error, when the Script is just about finished.

Line 0 (File "C:\Install\Applications\WindowBlinds\WindowBlinds_440.exe"):

$wba = FileFindNextFile($search)

Error: File Handle invalid. Make sure that the FileOpen command succeeded.

Oh my god......this cold is going to be the end of me I swear.

Okay for one the right file is now linked above. ;)

Yeah #cs to #ce is stuff commented out, with out needing to put semicolons on every line.

Well try the new script...it "should" work now that its the right one. ;)