Deep Freeze - Protect your Hardrive from changes

Zilevoli

I dont know if you tried this .... but create a shortcut to DeepFreezeSTDEval.exe with the switch -uninstall

DeepFreezeSTDEval.exe -uninstall

This will bring up the install menu only to uninstall.

Thanks huisern, for submitting this.

What the goal of using deep freeze on your own computer ? :huh:

This tools is for office, school, cybercafe computer park...

Deep Freeze, on windows xp (ntfs formated drive) and with the propers bios options ( no booting from floppy, cd rom, pw protected) is almost uncrackable.

But locking your own computer is stupid ! And it downgrade perfomance...

To just quickly restore you setting boot from acronis boot cd. On my system it only take 35 sec, And my c: partition is restored ! With all my program, setting, patch and preferences even my favorites in IE.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone explain this to me?

Boot up with Deep Freeze installed. Delete everything from a frozen drive. Fill the drive with something else (50 movies for example), then reboot.

Deep Freeze restores the frozen drive.

HOW??

Lol... it's really a small world out there.... I've got an interview for a co-op position with Faronics on Monday... lol.

Maybe I'll find out what the problem that people were having with the software was...

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read all the posts on here, but just to let you know we have used Deep Freeze on our public access PC's and had no problem with it. It's worked just fine. Just need to remove BIOS boot to floppy and add BIOS password.

Reboot PC every morning and heypresto, a fully functioning PC again after a day of abuse from the general public. M$ profiles and security, how ever much we locked it down, did not do the job. Somebody always managed to do something on the PC. Now it's locked down, to stop wouldbe "hackers" and the others can play away as much as they like and a simple reboot fixes any changes made.

It gets the thumbs up from me :thumbup

@Nick47

I'm not sure if this is how it works but what I think happens is.....

It creates a second FAT table and uses this for its disk access. Any changes made to the disk are done on the 'clone' fat table but files left as is! So when you reboot it just clones the original FAT table again and off you go.

Not sure if its really how it works but this is the theory we came up with afew years ago when we first looked into using deep freeze.

lol I remember Deep Freeze! My old jr college had that installed on all its systems, and i have to say that it was much better than the nazi-like approach some admins have of turning off EVERY feature in windows (you know who you are...) I just hate going to a library/school/etc. and seeing a system where the only icon on the desktop or startmenu is IE/some other browser and you can't access other files/drives or Internet Options (or at my new college you can't even right click ANYTHING :realmad: ). makes me remember why some people get the desire to hack past security measures in the first place.

truthfully I would like it if more businesses/schools/etc. DID use DF and hopefully with better luck than prathapml had.