Media Connect

andrewpayne

@Sanjay:

Edit your post, there are something contradictory

'Windows Media Connect' works perfectly. [cut] 'wmcsetup7.exe' it just starts with the extracting process, and then nothing...
or off-topic:
your similar method for 'Media Player 10', does not work

Sorry about that, post now edited. It should have been 'mp10setup7.exe'.

nilfreds method first didnt work. the installer didnt install anything.

i unpacked the created installer (nilfreds method) and made a new SFX with winrar, and it works,

here my winrar sfx comment:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=StartX.exe /WAIT "msiexec /i WinRMSrv.msi /qb"
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1
Title=Windows Media Connect

thx nilfred for your howto :)

when i run the compiled wmcsetup7.exe file, it just stops at 56% of the extraction process... i used the batch file you've posted. wonder if this is normal.

update: sorry, i didn't noticed that i had a CRC error. ill recompile this one to see if it manifests again.

latest update: :w00t: it worked perfectly unattended! thanks! sorry for assuming too quickly. :blushing:

GM's method worked fine for me...

Well if GM method works, I should try to remove StartX from the installer as it seem to be unnecessary... As I peek in GM script he call msiexec directly, which is known that may or may not work (M$ an also GM states it).

Test results will follow...

hmm. tried running it under svpack.inf but it didn't installed. i heard that before running wmc, it requires that wmp10 should be run first (not just installed)?

here's part of what my svcpack.inf looks like:

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
NETFXSP1.EXE
mswjv.exe
WMP10SILENT.EXE
wmcsetup.exe

an sfx 7zip archive can not call msiexec directly...the reason is whatever command you use in config.txt must be in the archive, its one of the downfalls of 7zip sfx archive...thats the whole reason for startx is 7zip thinks it is executing startx (which is in the archive) and startx executes something outside of the archive (msiexec in most cases)...but youre more than welcome to try calling msiexec directly (even though the help file with 7zip says it cant be done unless msiexec is in the archive)...the reason it is not a good idea to put msiexec into an archive is because its different for different windows...windows sp2 msiexec cant run on xpsp1...and vice versa.

@edmoncu...ive installed wmp10 (not run) and installed wmc right after and it works fine...you might wanna try GM's method and note what happens with that one in svcpack.inf

@Nilfred...do you wanna know one possible reason why youre method doesnt work? Its because in the batch file you can not tell config.txt to be encoded as UTF-8. just echoing that info in there does not make it UTF-8...in fact, the only reason that line is in there is so 7zip knows that is what the txt file is coded as...if you can figure out how to use a batch command and make the config.txt be encoded as UTF-8 that will solve all your problems...I am going to test with wmp10setup and post back my results, but I can almost guarantee this is what is happening and why it isnt installing for anyone.

UTF-8 coded file uses 2 bytes for foreing code page characters, but only one byte for ASCII caracters. So if your file does not contain any 'extrange' character is the same format as ASCII file does.

My .bat uses command extensions as GM's .cmd does, but GM declare it explicitly.

Maybe someone is wander with command extensions disabled by default?

BTW removing StartX is a big error. Please don't do it.

Nilfred...it doesnt matter what the difference between UTF-8 and ASCII is 7zip help file says the txt file MUST be encoded as UTF-8...using the batch file in the way it is written will not encode config.txt as UTF-8...this is why the batch file does not work...this is why people cannot get wmcsetup7 or mp10setup7 to install...I just redid the entire thing and instead of using your batch file, I took the commands out, and made sure config.txt was encoded as UTF-8 and it worked perfectly...what you might want to do, since it seems you want to use a batch file is to include a vbs script that opens config.txt and goes to "save as..." then selects UTF-8 as the encoding, then save and exit vbs script...then continue with rest of batch commands...

For everyone else wanting to use Nilfreds method...edit the batch file and go step by step (note that when it says CALL :something, you need to go find :something, at the end of that, where it says EOF, it means to go back to where the CALL started and continue) and when you make the config.txt file, open it in notepad, and save as UTF-8...another thing you could do is to edit the batch like so

A note...make sure there is a space between ECHO and ; and that there is no space between the ; and !

SET TmpDir=%~dp0tmp
SET BuildDir=%~dp0build\
%~d0
CD "%~p0"
MD "%BuildDir%"
COPY StartX.exe "%BuildDir%StartX.exe"

SET Target=wmcsetup
CALL :make_tmp

SET MsiName=
FOR %%I in (*.*) DO IF /I "%%~xI" == ".MSI" SET MsiName=%%I
START /wait msiexec /a "%MsiName%" TARGETDIR="%BuildDir%" /QB
CD..
RMDIR /S /Q tmp

CD "%BuildDir%"
SET RedistFile=
FOR /R %%I in (wmfdist??.exe) DO SET RedistFile=%%I
CD..
MOVE "%RedistFile%" .

SET Target=wmfdist95
CALL :make_tmp

CALL :make_7z
RMDIR /S /Q tmp

ECHO;!@Install@!UTF-8!>config.txt
ECHO RunProgram="wmsetsdk.exe /DisallowSystemRestore /WMFDIST /Quiet /R:N">>config.txt
ECHO;!@InstallEnd@!>>config.txt
ECHO Open config.txt and save as using UTF-8 as the Encoding
ECHO When finished, press any key
pause

CALL :make_exe
MOVE %Target%7.exe "%RedistFile%"
DEL %Target%.exe

SET Target=wmcsetup
CD "%BuildDir%"
CALL :make_7z
RMDIR /S /Q "%BuildDir%"

ECHO;!@Install@!UTF-8!>config.txt
ECHO RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i %MsiName% /qb\"">>config.txt
ECHO;!@InstallEnd@!>>config.txt
ECHO Open config.txt and save as using UTF-8 as the Encoding
ECHO When finished, press any key
pause

CALL :make_exe
GOTO:EOF

:make_tmp
MD "%TmpDir%"
START /wait %Target%.exe /Q:A /C /T:"%TmpDir%"
CD "%TmpDir%"

:make_7z
..\7za.exe a "%~dp0%Target%.7z" -r -mx=7 -mfb=255 -md=48m *
CD..

:make_exe
IF NOT EXIST 7zSC.sfx upx.exe 7zS.sfx -o7zSC.sfx
COPY /b 7zSC.sfx + config.txt + %Target%.7z %Target%7.exe
DEL config.txt
DEL %Target%.7z

oops! my bad! it worked now using nilfred's method :thumbup

anyway, i noticed, the created archive is named wmcsetup7.exe... perhaps it has to do with the last lines of the code that's posted above (w/c i used):

anyhow, i should've called wmcsetup7.exe rather than wmcsetup.exe on my svcpack.inf. anyhow, its working now. sorry, must've been lack of sleep on my part. :blushing:

Well, I found notepad add 3 byte at start of stream when you save it as UTF-8, everything else is the same along config.txt.

I prefer ultraedit32 for format conversion that did no differences between input and output.

RFC 3629 - UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646 Chapter 6. states that these 3 bytes are a signature for the file encoding. And I interpret it as OPTIONAL since these are striped or ignored by the interpreter.

BTW to mantain the 'unattendedness' of the .bat I suggest to make an empty UTF-8 encoded .txt file, call it 'empty.txt' and replace this line in make_exe subroutine:

with:

COPY /b 7zSC.sfx + empty.txt + config.txt + %Target%.7z %Target%7.exe

empty.txt

... IMMO you must provide a link to download cabarc.exe. :unsure: ...

Are you kidding? Then everyone and their mother would be trying it, and reporting (USER) errors!

In fact, there is no download for CABARC.EXE only, though it is included with many, many Microsoft kits (CABSDK, IEAK, WM Enterprise Deployment, etc.). I figure that those who do not have it probably are not worried about running this from SVCPACK.INF.

Which brings me to your second point. Of course I did not post it until I tested it, and if it would not work in SVCPACK.INF, it is not for me! The reason one sometimes has trouble with MSIEXEC.EXE is not because MSIEXEC.EXE is not "found", but because the *.MSI file must have either the full path specification, or be in the current, working directory. In this case, it is in the current directory, in order to avoid the need for hardcoded paths. Note that MSIEXEC.EXE in NOT included in the final package. CABARC.EXE, on the other hand, IS.

will this work with XPCREATE? also does this update still have to be installed after MP10?