Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

script or command to modify hosts file

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Mman

Mman
  • 8 posts
Hi.
I need a script or a command that can be used in a script that will add a line to the hosts file of a computer with the user's permission.

any ideas?

thanks.
M.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
Do you specifically need the user to say "yes" ? Because if not, then it'd be simple to directly add what you want, into the host file.

But if you do want user to say yes, this will do the task you want, copy/paste into notepad, and save as .BAT:
@echo off
TITLE Modifying your HOSTS file
COLOR 85
ECHO.

:LOOP
SET Choice=
SET /P Choice="Do you want to modify HOSTS file ? (Y/N)"

IF NOT '%Choice%'=='' SET Choice=%Choice:~0,1%

ECHO.
IF /I '%Choice%'=='Y' GOTO ACCEPTED
IF /I '%Choice%'=='N' GOTO REJECTED
ECHO Please type Y (for Yes) or N (for No) to proceed!
ECHO.
GOTO Loop

:REJECTED
ECHO Your HOSTS file was left unchanged >> %systemroot%\Temp\yourinstall.log
ECHO Finished.
GOTO END

:ACCEPTED
ECHO Carrying out requested modifications to your HOSTS file
echo 127.0.0.1   local host >> %WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
ECHO Finished.

GOTO END

:END
ECHO.
EXIT

Its quite self-explanatory. While the rest of the command-line script will do your yes/no part, the below line is what does the actual modification.
echo 127.0.0.1   local host >> %WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
That is, you can "echo" whatever line you want into the HOSTS file, using the double-forward symbol. The location of the hosts file above, is given for win2k/XP/2k3. For win95/98/ME, its located at a different place.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Mman

Mman
  • 8 posts
thanks alot!

the scripy wroks great. I only had to remove the @echo off at the beginning of the code.

GREAT!

NOW - is there any way to run this script automatically through html / xml code so that everyone browsing a certain website will receive the option to run the code?

M.

babai93

babai93
  • 1 posts
Hi, Mr.Prathapml,

Nice script, thanks.

in my scenario I logged in is USER Profile, so how could I run the batch file without having the Admin rights of Admin Password. if i have the Password than I can run it as Administrator. if not than how to do this with the help of Command line which can be embed within the BATCH (.bat) file?

Please let us.

Regards,

Babai Dutta :lol: | 9903010393

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
The HOSTS file is a protected file and can not be modified by a non-administrator user. You would have to run the script as an administrator user in order to modify it.

mbaird

mbaird
  • 1 posts

prathapml,

Is there an automated way to remove a line from a hosts file?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN