RASOR - Textmode Driver Utility

trainee

@trainee

Update: I hope you got my PM, i just got yours only 2 days ago.

Anyways, I got the newest version of RASOR and used it to create a new XPCD.

1. I made my original windows smaller first by using Nlite.

2. I used RASOR next to add both NVRAID and the 3114 drivers.

3. I see that it created all the correct $OEM$ and OemDir directories like expected.

4. I checked the winnt.sif and it put all that info in correctly. One little thing i would like to see changed though is to add a space in between the [MassStorageDrivers] and the previous last entry. It's just for easy reading sake.

For example:

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[MassStorageDrivers]

"3ware Escalade 7000/8000 Series ATA RAID Controller" = "OEM"

to this:

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[MassStorageDrivers]

"3ware Escalade 7000/8000 Series ATA RAID Controller" = "OEM"

It's purely a trivial change, but I like to be able to differentiate my winnt.sif file easily.

5. I applied Bashrat's driverpack ontop of the Nlite'd/RASOR'd cd. His pack has bugs of its own, but I got around them for the time being.

6. I used Nlite to make a bootable ISO.

7. First time i ran the setup i tried installing this new XPCD onto a single drive and everything went perfectly. No GUI errors or popups.. No freezes. It worked great. I checked the device manager and both the 3114 and NVRAID were detected and installed correctly. I also had access to my 3 hard drives connected on them.

8. The second time I made a Stripped RAID 0 array using my two 160GB SATA drives on the NVRAID. I booted up the setup and when I got to the partition manager it saw my drives as a single array!

9. I jumped for joy that I didn't have to do any hard work this time, and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! Windows installed just fine on my NVRAID array without any errors.

So hopefully this utility will work for more people.

I am using:

Athlon64 3200+

Asus K8N-E Deluxe - Bios 1005 beta

NVRAID - 2x160GB SATA Western Digital, 64K Stripe

3114 - 1x80GB IDE to SATA converted WD.

Windows XP Pro - SP2, Nlite'd.

.NET 1.1 with SP1

Thank You trainee.

Hello all,

I have just tried using RASOR after having trouble getting any of the other methods to work with my Silicon Image 3114 drivers.

I got almost the exact same problem as TWILL. When I tried the ISO I made using nLite in virtual PC, this is what happens... The blue screen comes up after prompting to press F6 for 3rd party drivers, and the drivers on the cd start flashing up along the bottom. About half way through this process I get the following error message:

"File caused an unexpected error (0) at

line 2166 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Press any key to continue."

After pressing any key, windows setup continues loading the other drivers from the CD.

Any ideas?

Thanks

James

everybody always test this in virtual pc... Why not just set aside a small empty partition for testing.... That is what I have been doing for a while now. i think virtual pc has some different requirements as far as files.

nevermind, don't listen to me, i'm too tired. night.

I know some people are having problems with RASOR. If you are having a problem please indicate which drivers you are trying to slipstream and please include a copy of your winnt.sif. You must have an unattended winnt.sif setup correctly for M2 slipstreams to work.

@rcordorica: RASOR adds 1 line before the [MassStorageDrivers] section, so if you put a carriage return on the last line of your winnt.sif then you will have will get the extra space that you want. Does this explanation make sense?

Ok thanks for the quick reply trainee.

I am trying to slipstream the sil3114 drivers for my seagate barracuda 80gb SATA. I didn't realise we had to make amendments to the winnt.sif file, I thought it was all pretty much automated by rasor - what do you think the problem is in my winnt.sif file?

Ok hang on a sec... I think i've been incredibly stupid... I was looking at my winnt.sif file and there were like no entries at all about my SATA drive. When I used rasor, after specifying the root directory of my XP CD files, I selected the driver I needed and didn't double click! So when it said at the bottom "drivers repackaged" I thought it was all done, but it wasn't. I just re-did it making sure I double clicked to actually download the sil3114 drivers and now there are entries in my winnt.sif file.

I'll try doing another dummy run through VPC.

Sorry for this... I'm such a dumbo :blink:

Ok, I did a dummy run and it didnt bring up an error and it looked like it would be fine. Then I burnt the CD and tried it proper and hallelujah we are in business. It found the drive when you do the partition setup on the blue screen and provided everything works after the text setup mode, it works 100%.

Thankyou so, so much!

I will post again when I get round to reinstalling windows... but provisionally I can add another reported success using your program/method.

James

@hpo1jpc: I'm glad I could help. I will try to clarify the need to have a working winnt.sif for RASOR.

I also have access to a couple of windows boxes now and I will try to put up some more definitions. And hopefully get a guide for other people to make definitions. There won't be any RASOR program upgrades for awhile, but hopefully I can move RASOR to beta 1 sometime in December.

well i tried this program hoping nvRAID would work w/ my nf2. but it didn't

here's my winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"
   AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   FileSystem=*
   Repartition=No
   Unattendswitch="yes"
   Waitforreboot="no"
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   OemPnPDriversPath = .... edited because it was too long

[GuiRunOnce]
 ; %systemdrive%\application\none.bat
   Command0="%systemdrive%\backup\winapp\none1.bat"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=*
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=4
   OemSkipWelcome=1
   Autologon=Yes
   AutoLogoncount=1

[MassStorageDrivers]
   "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)" = "OEM"
   "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)" = "OEM"
   "IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = "RETAIL"

[OemBootFiles]
   TXTSETUP.OEM
   nvraid.sys
   nvraid.inf
   nvraidco.dll
   nvraid.cat
   nvatabus.sys
   nvatabus.inf
   idecoi.dll
   nvata.cat
   nvuide.exe
   nvide.nvu
   nvcoi.dll
   NvRaidEnu.dll
   NvRaidMan.exe
   nvraidservice.exe
   NvRaidSvEnu.dll
   NvRaidWizard.dll
   NvRaidWizardEnu.dll
   RegRaid.bat

in the setup mode.. it says something about txtsetup.oem having an error in line 1747 ... but it finishes loading drivers, but in the menu where HDs are shown.. i see two separate HDs on each channel rather than one RAID 0 array

any help?

*one quick thing to add is, i've used nlite to integrate a Promise Onboard raid controller

@larciel: can you post the txtsetup.oem file that RASOR generated. It should be in /$OEM$/Textmode/ directory and your /I386/$OEM$/ directory (of your XPCD source). The 2 files should match (please make sure that they do), and then post it up here. rcordorica care to weigh in on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just want to thank you for the program it is such a cool thing especially when one can't get the floppy to work. I'm really a novice at all this so I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but it still will not load the Nvidia drivers during the Setup, at least I did not see them load when watching. WindowsXP Pro SP2 loaded and then after the restart this message came up: "Inf file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing Status 2. Setup cannot continue." Am I suppose to add anything manually? or change something? Should I add my original Unattend.txt file to the Winnt.sif that was generated by your program?

MSI K8T Neo2 Plat, Athlon 64 3500+,

2 Seagate SATA 120gb HDs, RAID 0

Ok so just for the heck of it I went ahead and copied the info from the Unattend.txt file into the Winnt.sif that was generated and burned it again...now I get the Error (18) on line 1747 in d:\xpsrtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c. during setup.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. I've been working on this now for two days and would really like to get it to work, not to mention I need my computer!