CDROM variable

What happens if you change the content of PostInstall.cmd temporarily to:

@ECHO OFF
TITLE Testing Script
ECHO=%%CDROM%%=%~d0
ECHO=Delaying tactics employed
PING -n 11 127.0.0.1 1>NUL

BTW, which part of exact contents and no editing did you not understand?

Oh sorry about that. It's just that I have the same line repeated many time with different program in different folders. You can ignore that bracketed line.

Do you want me to change the batch to what you provided there and call it with the Run dialog with the parameter you provided earlier?

Yes, but run it from a command prompt not the run box.

FOR /F %# IN ('MOUNTVOL^|FINDSTR [C-Z]:\\') DO IF EXIST %#PostInstall.cmd CALL %#PostInstall.cmd

recreate the original set-up, replacing only the content of the batch file. This should isolate the problem area to either your batch file or the implementation of the set-up.

Yes, but run it from a command prompt not the run box.

FOR /F %# IN ('MOUNTVOL^|FINDSTR [C-Z]:\\') DO IF EXIST %#PostInstall.cmd CALL %#PostInstall.cmd

recreate the original set-up, replacing only the content of the batch file. This should isolate the problem area to either your batch file or the implementation of the set-up.

okay...I replaced my batch with your ping test and ran the for loop from a prompt. Here's what happens:

D:\Documents and Settings\Drix>IF EXIST C:\PostInstall.cmd CALL C:\PostInstall.c
md

D:\Documents and Settings\Drix>IF EXIST D:\PostInstall.cmd CALL D:\PostInstall.c
md

D:\Documents and Settings\Drix>IF EXIST E:\PostInstall.cmd CALL E:\PostInstall.c
md

D:\Documents and Settings\Drix>IF EXIST G:\PostInstall.cmd CALL G:\PostInstall.c
md
%CDROM%=G:
Delaying tactics employed

From there it just exit and return to the prompt. My (virtual) disc drive is G: (Daemon Tools Lite)

Just my opinion but I don't think there's anything wrong with my batch file, seeing that it works no problem if it's just dbl-clicked on (even as burned to CD, so it's probably not related to batch and the set-up's file structure).

The command I gave you which runs the batch file is seen to have worked and the batch content I provided is seen to have worked.

Since the folder structure you provided contains the tag file required I can see only two likely problems, your winnt.sif or your PostInstall.cmd. If you are convinced that your batch script, (the content of which you have hidden from us), is okay then your issue is with the .sif file. However since you reported the script not running from my command earlier, and your folder structure clearly shows it should with a working command line, I am not ruling out the script as the most likely problem.

In order to find a solution, attach both files exactly as they are to be examined, otherwise you are on your own.

I have posted my batch file earlier, could you not see it?

I'm pretty sure my batch (should) have no problem, seeing that if you just run it normally from explorer all the start commands works, as the target program are all called as relative path.

It's just that when it is called by your parameter it seems to have lost track of its "starting location" or something. I wouldn't think we need to examine the sif file as even not in installation mode I'm unable to get my batch to perform as it should with your command there, so it's doubtful that it's an installation issue.

But here's the two file you requested: I changed the sif to have it run at T-9 instead of GuiRunOnce, but that shouldn't matter since the same problem of my batch not finding directory structure correctly persist. The problem it seems is rather fundamental and I'm not expecting it to change with different timing of the call to the batch.

Pinstall.cmd

WINNT.sif

@drixomanbeta -

I counted at least five times in this thread where Yzöwl asked you to do or report something specific, and you decided to do or report something different, always saying "but that shouldn't matter...". Yzöwl has decided, since you obviously feel you know what should or shouldn't be done, that you must not need any help, and I think everyone else here agrees with him. We will be curious to learn what you eventually find to be the problem Who knows? We might learn something.

In the future, if you ask someone to help, and they graciously offer to give you advice, here or elsewhere:

First - Take it. Do not edit it, do not change it, do not question it, do not try a shortcut, do not ask why, do not think, just do it and report exactly what happened. There are usually good reasons why you are being asked to do or report something specific.

Then - Propose alternatives, ask questions, show what happens when you do it a different way. In the exchange of data, in both directions, we can both learn something. But if you won't listen to us, then why should we listen to you?

Please let us know when you find a solution.

Cheers and Regards

In fact I did found the problem, and the solution. You wouldn't (would you?) believe how simple it was...(and how dumb I was.) :blink:

The problem: in my batch file I kept relative path when I should have used full, like so: start /wait %~d0\UPDATE\... Problem solved.

Apparently it did not occur to the unenlightened me of what y'all here would probably have thought of as 1+1

Then again, when I said I was a newb, I really did meant it. How come this batch worked when ran on its own while called on by prompt it fails? Anyway...

To that end...I still don't understand how %~d0 actually work (yes I searched for it...something about %n special enviro variable...way out of my league to comprehend :( )

Anyway, thanks for the help here; consider my question answered. At least if some other simpleton like me asked these silly type of question...well they won't have to torment you experts for too much with this particular case. (I probably should have sticked to svcpack rather than setupparams. I obviously don't know the difference (except I know I have some other stuff from addonpacks being called at T-13; don't want to mess up that). :hello:

"I'm a simple man. I do not possess a [compsci] degree nor am I [algorithmically] inclined." ~George Carlin. :blushing:

In fact I did found the problem, and the solution. You wouldn't (would you?) believe how simple it was...(and how dumb I was.) :blink:

The problem: in my batch file I kept relative path when I should have used full, like so: start /wait %~d0\UPDATE\... Problem solved.

I had already told you to do that too! :whistle:

That should run the script from your CDROM meaning that all commands within that script can be designed to be local to the CDROM e.g. %~d0

Thanks for posting back and for providing closure to the problem, it means that other readers with the same or similar problem can use the advice given in the knowledge that it is known to work!

• 6 months later...

Hi,

before I say anything, yes I know this seem to have been asked multiple time but bear with me. I'm a definite newb at this...

anyway...I've found this little code that I think would satisfy navigating to the installation source directory with the GUIRunOnce in winnt.sif (I have no doubt this look very familiar to you experts on here)

for %%a in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%a:\yourfile.xyz set CDROM=%%a

I thought, why couldn't I just call cmd.exe from GUIRunOnce, passing the above statement (which would normally be ran in a separate batch file) as a parameter (or "echo" it into the prompt and ran, if that's pretty much the same thing...) instead of putting that in a separate file having to be copied from $OEM$ folder.

Any idea how to do this? I must admit I have NO skill with the command prompt at all that can be even close to help here....

Thanks.

But in Windows 7 I get

%%a was unexpected at this time.

What can I do?

i personally use

FOR %%d IN (c: d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%d\CD.TXT SET CDROM=%%d
what it's marked in red can be changed to any singular file that you would like to use.

what it's marked in green can be changed to call the cdrom like %CDROM% or %ANYSTRING%. hope it hleps :lol:

edit: f***! another time some1 is faster :realmad::lol:

In Windows 7 I get:

%%d was unexpected at this time.

Hi,

before I say anything, yes I know this seem to have been asked multiple time but bear with me. I'm a definite newb at this...

anyway...I've found this little code that I think would satisfy navigating to the installation source directory with the GUIRunOnce in winnt.sif (I have no doubt this look very familiar to you experts on here)

for %%a in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%a:\yourfile.xyz set CDROM=%%a

I thought, why couldn't I just call cmd.exe from GUIRunOnce, passing the above statement (which would normally be ran in a separate batch file) as a parameter (or "echo" it into the prompt and ran, if that's pretty much the same thing...) instead of putting that in a separate file having to be copied from $OEM$ folder.

Any idea how to do this? I must admit I have NO skill with the command prompt at all that can be even close to help here....

Thanks.

But in Windows 7 I get

%%a was unexpected at this time.

What can I do?

That's because, the double percent should not be used from winnt.sif.

Example

[GuiRunOnce]
DetachedProgram = CMD.EXE
Arguments = "/Q /C FOR %a IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %a:\<unique> SET CDROM=%a"

The problem however with this approach to the setting of the CDROM variable is that as soon as that command has run, the variable which was local only to that CMD.EXE session only will be removed.