Extracting Windows ME, XP Components

pjmh1981

I just wanna know on what files and what I must look for to start recollecting data to perform my own customization software of a Windows Me, XP installation CD.How do you know what files are requiered to install Movie Maker, Media Player, IE, etc? On what files do you look at?To start I need to know what files contains the requiered data to divide the components and allow selection and having that I can allow the installation of new attachments or remove unnecesary windows components.

In what INI files and on what sections or how do you know how each component is composed?

Please if you know something about or could give me clues that would be a big help.

I was wondering if someone of you please can help me by telling me how exactly you do to remove or add windows components on Windows Me also as on Windows XP. I know nLite and similar software do this without any trouble by im kinda curious of knowing how do they do this.

I have checked the windows files. Im a programmer and im sure i could do a better software to custom my windows installation. But my poor knowledge about how to get the list of files stops me.

Does anyone knows what files i need to look for and how to compile the requiered files that for the package of, for example, Windows Movie Maker, Media Player, Internet Explorer, etc.

I also noticed there are only tools to custom XP and I want to make mine to other windows versions. Please if you know how to do this tell me. I wanna start my own project.

Thanks a lot for any help you can bring. :hello:

Edited by Drewdatrip

I just wanna know on what files and what I must look for to start recollecting data to perform my own customization software of a Windows Me, XP installation CD.

How do you know what files are requiered to install Movie Maker, Media Player, IE, etc? On what files do you look at?

To start I need to know what files contains the requiered data to divide the components and allow selection and having that I can allow the installation of new attachments or remove unnecesary windows components.

In what INI files and on what sections or how do you know how each component is composed?

I've created many successful unattended DVD and CD windows installation and i have many ideas to create software better than nLite to customize our Windows CDs also new as old versions.

Please if you know something about or could give me clues that would be a big help. :yes:

Thanks a lot, please write here all you can about that. I would check it out later.

Thanks for the help maxXPsoft. I've been checking and found out a lot of stuff to work around. But it could be a big help to know exactly which of the five hundred .in_ files are the really needed to separate from the setup the components and drivers. :w00t:

My idea is to develop a tool that not only allows windows reduction but also allows integration of new components instead old ones and that at the same time a user can attemp to apply the several tweaks explained on the different forums. I wanna do a multiple windows customizer. That different than nLite allows customization of all windows versions.

Please respond everyone that knows something about this topic. Im interesting in getting data and at the same time I wanna learn.

I would been checking the forum for answers. Thanks people! :thumbup