Registry Entry - View Details in Windows Explorer

Tahuna

I have looked everywhere and have not been able to find the answer to my situation. I would like to have my Windows Explorer open up with a certain look each time (from multiple machines). I have been able to make the necessary Registry changes for things such as "Show hidden Files", "Show Extensions for known file types", etc.

However, I also want Windows Explorer to open in Details View. I was able to do this in NT but have not found out how in XP.

I have searched in numerous sites, forums, etc. for the last 2 days. I even tried exporting the whole registry before and after making the setting change manually and comparing files (no change found!). To save time, I'd sure like to do it programmatically versus manually changing it everytime I visit a different workstation. Is there anyone who can help me find the exact registry hack? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

This setting is controlled by

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams]"Settings"=hex:08,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,77,7e,13,73,35,cf,11,ae,\

69,08,00,2b,2e,12,62,04,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,43,00,00,00

However, as you can see the data is in an uncomprehensible format. The bold, fifth hexadecimal value in my example indicates the display style setting. Possible values:

01: Large Icons

02: Small Icons

03: List View

04: Details

Maybe there are others too. I remember these from Windows 2000, but XP has some new display styles.

It's best to configure an Explorer window to your needs, logout/login (*), and then save the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams] and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults] keys.

*: Not sure if the logout/login is necessary, but if I'm not mistaken, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key is only updated on logout.