unattended install using restore disc

i tried searching for this but couldnt find anything so here it goes. my dad has a new computer with restore discs, xp home on it, can i use my xp home unattended install if i put his xp key in it and his info. or is there a way to do it with the restore discs. this is a legit question i am not trying to do anything illegal i did the unattended install and my dad likes the idea but like i said he has restore discs. he bought a systemax from tigerdirect. any help is appreciated.

Depends on if the restore disc is an image restoration or an actual Windows setup disc. If it's the former, I highly doubt it. If it's the latter, you should be able to edit the files and add the winnt.sif to automate the process without any issue.

Your fathers restore discs would be made from an oem version. Your home unattended version is ? . If retail, then no. You need oem keys for oems versions, retail keys for retail versions etc.

Let me guess. You're trying to get out your Windows Home OEM from the recovery cds? If this is the case I can help you, this is quite very easy and I've done this before and i know is legal because i asked to the company i bought my pc from.

Explain it with details and I could help you. Send me messages and i will answer.

my xp is an oem and i didnt know if you can just use the restore cds or if you can extract the xp or if i can use my own with his info, which would be easier since i already have mine saved and ready to go.

Hello Again.

To start I need to know if you are using recovery cds or a recovery partition. The second step is let me know the structure of the medium to know what can be done.

To process the whole thing you would need:

1. Windows XP SP2

2. nLite tool

3. Windows XP SP2 Boot discs

4. A hex editor

5. Your Windows XP CD

6. ModifyPE

I need more info to know how are the files on your recovery medium.

I had a computer with a recovery partition, without any discs, but I wanted to have apart the Windows CD for install without the trash that computer stores put on. Then I asked HP if there were any trouble doing this and they say its perfectly OK to do it if I use the original files and the serial on the hologram label pasted on the PC.

To process the whole thing you would need:

1. Windows XP SP2

2. nLite tool

3. Windows XP SP2 Boot discs

4. A hex editor

5. Your Windows XP CD

6. ModifyPE

Would you please be more specific as to what you are asking for on 1, 3, and 5? At the moment I am looking at this thinking I need 3 seperate Windows XPs. . . :}

I need more info to know how are the files on your recovery medium.

I had a computer with a recovery partition, without any discs, but I wanted to have apart the Windows CD for install without the trash that computer stores put on. Then I asked HP if there were any trouble doing this and they say its perfectly OK to do it if I use the original files and the serial on the hologram label pasted on the PC.

kinda off topic but.... was it an HP 310n? cause thats what mine was.. well.. until i installed Linux on it and deleted the Restore Partion on accident :blushing:

Fezik, browse your CD while in windows. see if theres 1 file thats like 650 megs or if theres multiple files... My eMachines Restore CD's have 2 .gho files around 650 megs each and only way too view wants in there is too use Norton Ghost.

and i think he ment on 1 3 and 5...

1. Windows XP SP2 *download from microsoft.com* thats if you want SP2 * i personally hate it..*

3. I'm guessing he means the slipstreaming it as i've never heard of a Windows XP SP2 boot disk..

5. Windows XP CD the CD that has windows or your restore CD's

Bi0haZarD, I made this process on an HP 505n, but I suppose the process must be similar because this people use to use the same software to create their recoveries. We can try it out!

Since this people fusions the Windows XP with some prereleases versions of Service Pack 1. The desintegration must be done applying a superior update like Service Pack 2. If not trash could remain. I use service pack 2 and I haven't had any trouble with a clean an automated install with my method.

This is the utility to create the boot disks for SP2:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

You must extract all this files on a separate folder with an utility like WinImage

Please send the info I request or I couldn't help you.

I guess I am out of the loophole then. I have a laptop so no floppy drive, and even if it's preferred I have no desire to use SP2 yet. *sigh*, I was hoping to use XP Home instead of Pro, but thanks anyway pjmh1981. :(

Fezik, don't go so fast!. I also have a laptop pc, Mine's HP Pavilion zt1135 and I also made this with my recovery cds.

The utility to make the boot disks its only to extract the files needed to built the boot sector. We're going to change some bytes on that files to make a bootable CD or DVD with this files. A floopy isn't needed.

If you want try we can try. Doesn't matter if you don't wanna apply the SP2, we can try it out with your current files.

Do you wanna try yet?

If you're planning still using SP1 then you will need these files instead the SP2 ones.

This one is if you wanna use XP Pro

And this for XP Home

Heh, I am no hurry, and thanks for your consideration. I'm quite new to all this, and am not sure what I really want to do (I'll make another thread, you'll probably chuckle from the amateurishness). But on topic, I think it would be great to use my recovery cds with XP Home since Pro has extra services I've no use for. I just don't want all that software that comes with the recovery cds. Toshiba sure loves to pack in the bull$! :D

Perhaps that is where your tool comes in? Sucks out just the required files?

I agree with you. That is what I did. I extracted the i386 folder from the recovery cds or partition, then downloaded the boot files and hex edited them.

Applied the SP2 (or whateaver you want use), them make a few changes here and there and im using my OEM XP Home, extracted directly from my recovery.

I can guide you trought the full process and have it working in few days.

Just contact me when you're ready to go and we start doing that special CD with your XP out of the trash.

Is this somewhere along the lines of what we'll be doing with the hex editing and what not?:

Gosh's Reducing Size of Source page

P.S. None of my 3 recovery cds has an i386 folder. . .is this expected? The entire installation is done by Ghost if you are wondering.

CD1 has a folder called COMPS--this is where all the crap that I don't need is. The folder BASE has the large Ghost files, named PREINST.GHO and PREIN001.GHS. The other discs have PREIN002.GHS, PREIN003.GHS, PREIN004.GHS, and so on. I have no experience with this tool. . .

If you want me to PM you and be more specific, no problem. Thanks for the help! :)