New Features of Version 2.0

Gape

Besides the MS-DOS icon in the start menu being black and white, I also noticed some other icons are black and white too. For example, if I go to Start, Run, and type "asdfasdf" it will display an error box but the X symbol will be black and white.

azagahl, wrong topic :o

I'm aware of that problem, it'll be fixed in next version, i've already told.

Unofficial Windows 98/98 SE/ME/NT4 HTML Help v1.41 HHSETUP.DLL, ITIRCL.DLL, ITSS.DLL + HH.EXE + HHCTRL.OCX Update build 5.2.3790.1830 from Windows 2003 SP1 Final (RTM/Gold) [681 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE

Hello MDGx,

hhctrlui.dll (English version) is version 5.2.3644.0 in your HHUPD.EXE, while in Windows 2003 SP1 Final it is also 5.2.3790.1830 as other files - is it intentional?

And why are FIND.COM and WinME start.com included? I've found no reference in the INI file.

Petr

Unofficial Windows 98/98 SE/ME/NT4 HTML Help v1.41 HHSETUP.DLL, ITIRCL.DLL, ITSS.DLL + HH.EXE + HHCTRL.OCX Update build 5.2.3790.1830 from Windows 2003 SP1 Final (RTM/Gold) [681 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE

Hello MDGx,

hhctrlui.dll (English version) is version 5.2.3644.0 in your HHUPD.EXE, while in Windows 2003 SP1 Final it is also 5.2.3790.1830 as other files - is it intentional?

And why are FIND.COM and WinME start.com included? I've found no reference in the INI file.

Petr

1. HHCTRLUI.DLL is part of the huge MUI.CAB archive which installs as a component of HHUPD.EXE, and which contains [you can open it in PowerArchiver, WinZip 9 + similar tools; works also if u right-click on it in Windows Explorer if CABVIEW.DLL is still installed as default CAB viewer/extractor] all Multilanguage User Interface [MUI] files that HTML Help supports. All those files go under %windir%\SYSTEM\MUI\language_code_# .

U can see them from Windows Explorer or File Manager [WINFILE.EXE].

I don't have updates to all these files, the only 1 that is newer is the U.S. English one [the 1 u mention probably], included in Win2003 SP1.

And besides, HHCTRLUI.DLL hasn't been updated by MS as a hotfix or security patch since Q811360:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811630

HHCTRLUI.DLL from patch Q811630 is older than the 1 from MUI.CAB included in HHUPD.EXE.

2. I've included FIND.COM [free GPL from http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/ = replaces MS Win98SE FIND.EXE] + START.EXE [from WinME setup CD] because I'm using them in HH.BAT, which is the batch file installer from within HHUPD.EXE.

These are HH.BAT lines [notice FIND and START]:

@ECHO OFF
VER | FIND/I "Windows">NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO N0
VER | FIND/I "Windows 95">NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO N0
IF "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" GOTO NT
IF EXIST %windir%\INF\*.INF DIR/-P %windir%\INF\*.INF>NUL
START/W RUNDLL32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection HH.INF,DefaultInstall
GOTO N0
:NT
IF EXIST %windir%\INF\*.INF DIR/-P %windir%\INF\*.INF>NUL
START/W RUNDLL32 ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection HH.INF,NTx
:N0
CLS
EXIT

I'm also using ADVPACK.DLL, W95INF16.DLL, W95INF32.DLL, EXTRAC32.EXE + REGSVR32.EXE in HH.BAT [they all must exist for proper operation], and I've included them all because I don't want to depend on these files being present [or not! :(] on everybody's systems.

Example: somebody in this forum once told me erased completely his C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND folder, and I was scratching my head to figure out why VER | FIND/I "whatever" detection was not working on his PC, thus making the entire 98SE2ME detection code useless.

Therefore now I'm adding all needed files into all my installers, to avoid any such weird "surprises" in the future. :)

U have mentioned an INI file: HHUPD.EXE doesn't contain any. Maybe u meant the INF file?

If u meant the INF file [HH.INF], that's a MS advanced INF installer file, per se can't use DOS based tools such as FIND + START, unless one adds dedicated sections for pre-install, post-install, run, runex etc commands.

Hope this helps.

Hi, superscotty19

If something about RP confuzes you, ask me.

The newer versions of RP (since 2.1) are separated into few parts,

- Basic (32-bit icon support)

- Shell Update (yes, it actually uses some Windows ME files)

- Toolbar Patch (32-bit icons for toolbars)

so you don't need to extract anything.

MDGx - Thanks (yet again!) for the help!

Tihiy - I appreciate your willingness to help! Now, I downloaded the software and see what you mean about breaking the whole package into 3 separate install files (good idea!). That said, do I require a valid copy of ME in order to install the Shell Update package? I want to remain as legal as possible with my 98SE install, while still doing cool stuff to it of course ;)

-Scott.

Tihiy - I appreciate your willingness to help! Now, I downloaded the software and see what you mean about breaking the whole package into 3 separate install files (good idea!). That said, do I require a valid copy of ME in order to install the Shell Update package? I want to remain as legal as possible with my 98SE install, while still doing cool stuff to it of course

"as legal as possible" hm... Shell Update contains files which aren't available separately, only from ME. So you need valid Win ME.

U have mentioned an INI file: HHUPD.EXE doesn't contain any. Maybe u meant the INF file?

If u meant the INF file [HH.INF], that's a MS advanced INF installer file, per se can't use DOS based tools such as FIND + START, unless one adds dedicated sections for pre-install, post-install, run, runex etc commands.

Thank you for your detail explanation, and yes, it was typo, I meant INF, not INI file, annd I haven't noticed the BAT file.

Petr

Gape:

I was notified by Folkert that there is a newer MSIEFTP.DLL [build 5.50.4807.2300] available as part of IE 5.5 SP2 [84 MB, English]:

http://downloads.planetmirror.com/pub/brow...SP2/ie55sp2.exe

MSIEFTP.DLL is contained inside IE_EXTRA.CAB .

The problem is that original 98SE file from setup CD [build 5.00.2614.3500] is buggy, one cannot have FTP folders view properly turned on [iE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> "Enable folder view for FTP sites" check box], unless MSIEFTP.DLL is newer. :(

BTW: WinME build is 5.50.4134.100 = older, also works ok.

IE 5.5, 5.5 SP1, 6.0 + 6.0 SP1 install build 5.50.4522.1800 = older, also works ok.

Only IE 5.5 SP2 [for some obscure reason, on some systems only ?!] installs the newest build 5.50.4807.2300 .

All MSIEFTP.DLL builds [from 98SE CD and up to the newest one] work with 98SE and ME without errors, except the original one from the 98SE CD I mentioned above [tested by me on 4 PCs and by Folkert on 1 PC], independent of which IE build is installed.

Folkert and I would like to suggest that you include MSIEFTP.DLL 5.50.4807.2300 from IE 5.5 SP2 into the next SP 2.0 [RCx] release.

Thank you for your detail explanation, and yes, it was typo, I meant INF, not INI file, annd I haven't noticed the BAT file.

Petr

HHUPD.EXE is build with PowerArchiver [ http://www.powerarchiver.com/ ], using the self-extracting CAB format [LZMA algorithm for highest available compression ratio]. You can open it with any "unzipper" [ http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#ZIP ] that supports the CAB format.

Hope this helps.

The problem is that original 98SE file from setup CD [build 5.00.2614.3500] is buggy, one cannot have FTP folders view properly turned on [iE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> "Enable folder view for FTP sites" check box], unless MSIEFTP.DLL is newer. :(

Folkert and I would like to suggest that you include MSIEFTP.DLL 5.50.4807.2300 from IE 5.5 SP2 into the next SP 2.0 [RCx] release.

When I have updated MSIEFTP.DLL on a freshly installed Win98 SE, I couldn't find "Enable folder view for FTP sites", but there is a option titled "Use Web Based FTP". However, this option didn't activate folder view for FTP sites.

When I have updated MSIEFTP.DLL on a freshly installed Win98 SE, I couldn't find "Enable folder view for FTP sites", but there is a option titled "Use Web Based FTP". However, this option didn't activate folder view for FTP sites.
Bummer. :(

I guess there's no point in adding it, then.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

I don't know if this has been added or not.. I didn't see it in the list. I would like to see something added to allow Win98SE to view/read/write to NTFS Partitions... If you add this then I plan to setup a dual boot.. with Win9x/Win2k... want Win9x to run older games... I think the reading of NTFS File System would be valuable to everyone.

:hello: Maraba, komshu :D

2.0 RC2:

- REMOVED: General USB Mass Storage Device Drivers.

Why? Were there any bugs???

USB mass storage device suport is very usefull in 98.

Is it possible not to uninstall them when uninstalling RC1 and then install RC3?

Or to put them in the next version?

B)

Just an idea - what about to add the right link to the registry so that the Windows Update menu item in Internet Explorer will really point to Windows Update site, i.e. http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ ?

I failed to find the right place just now, probably there are some redirects.

BTW, does anybody know any tool that logs http transactions? It would good to see what requests are sent by the Internet Explorer.

Maybe it will be different for original IE 5.0 and newer 5.5 and 6.0sp1.

Petr