New Features of Version 2.0

Gape

"And about the hanging problem when deleting a very large number of files with W98/ME + IE6.x"

FYI this can be avoided by using IE 5.5 DLL's (BROWSEUI.DLL 815376 bytes and BROWSELC.DLL 35328 bytes, both version 5.50.4807.2300).

using IE 5.5 Dlls when IE6 is installed? that sounds rather contradictorily...

When the 2.0 service pack goes final, will there be documentation that spells out exactly what each of the fixes are and what they do?

Yes, that's needed! Make some vulgarization too. Infos are good but sometimes hard to understand what in practice it means...

I'm a geek, not a computer scientist! :hello:

>>>And about the hanging problem when deleting a very large number of files with W98/ME + IE6.x"

>>FYI this can be avoided by using IE 5.5 DLL's (BROWSEUI.DLL 815376 bytes and BROWSELC.DLL 35328 bytes, both version 5.50.4807.2300).

>using IE 5.5 Dlls when IE6 is installed? that sounds rather contradictorily...

Trust me it's better than having the system resources leaked away and having it hang every time u delete a file.

>>>And about the hanging problem when deleting a very large number of files with W98/ME + IE6.x"

>>FYI this can be avoided by using IE 5.5 DLL's (BROWSEUI.DLL 815376 bytes and BROWSELC.DLL 35328 bytes, both version 5.50.4807.2300).

Trust me it's better than having the system resources leaked away and having it hang every time u delete a file.

I tried this yesterday...so I will see how deleting a large amt of files works, soon!

What I did notice (or is it coincidence?) is that when I went to the MS update page, it said I should install the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB867282)...

Is that because of replacing the 2 files?

Guess I could check it out....

[edit1] yes, one of the 2 is changed...(I forgot which one, I think it was browselc :blushing: ) [/edit1]

This is a BAD idea if you guys are planning to install ANY IE security updates for IE 6 SP1. Replacing the browseui.dll and browselc.dll files with IE 5.5 SP2 versions may prevent you from installing security updates or some security updates may install BUT those updates may cause IE6 SP1 to MALFUNCTION!

Updates like the IE6 SP1 867282 update include an updated browseui.dll file [6.00.2800.1612]. Then after installing this patch, you'll have to replace the browseui.dll file again with IE 5.5 SP2 version and you may lose the benefits of the security features of the version from the security patch.

If you are going to delete a very large number of files AVOID doing it in Windows Explorer. Install 2xExplorer or xplorer2 which is a nice replacement of Windows Explorer and use either one to 'shred' files.

I tried this yesterday...so I will see how deleting a large amt of files works, soon!

What I did notice (or is it coincidence?) is that when I went to the MS update page, it said I should install the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB867282)...

Is that because of replacing the 2 files?

Guess I could check it out....

[edit1] yes, one of the 2 is changed...(I forgot which one, I think it was browselc :blushing: ) [/edit1]

Like I said before, installing IE6 SP1 KB867282 update after replacing the browseui.dll and browselc.dll files with IE 5.5 SP2 versions is a bad idea. I no longer delete a large number of files in Explorer anymore as I use xplorer2 (should be called and pronounced 'xplorer squared') to shred files. Found at

the Zabkat.com web site:

http://www.zabkat.com/

NO jasinwa! It is NOT because of replacing those two files mentioned that MS Windows Updates page tells you to install the IE6 SP1 KB867282 security update.

It has nothing to do with that at all. I did NOT have to replace those two files and Windows Update offered me that security patch regardless.

NO jasinwa!  It is NOT because of replacing those two files mentioned that MS Windows Updates page tells you to install the IE6 SP1 KB867282 security update.

It has nothing to do with that at all.  I did NOT have to replace those two files and Windows Update offered me that security patch regardless.

What I am saying is that IF you replace the 2 files, you will be prompted to update again....

Here's what I did:

Replaced the 2 files...

Checked update, was told to updateto KB867282...

Did it and one of the 2 files was replaced..

Again, updated the 2 files...

Checked update again and was asked to install KB867282 again!!

Hmmmm.....

PS - replacing those 2 files works great, btw....I can delete to my hearts content with no freezing, etc....

What I am saying is that IF you replace the 2 files, you will be prompted to update again....

Here's what I did:

Replaced the 2 files...

Checked update, was told to updateto KB867282...

Did it and one of the 2 files was replaced..

Again, updated the 2 files...

Checked update again and was asked to install KB867282 again!!

Hmmmm.....

PS - replacing those 2 files works great, btw....I can delete to my hearts content with no freezing, etc....

But you won't be able to install other IE security updates if you did replace the browseui.dll & browselc.dll files. I did replace those two files with IE 5.5 SP2 versions one time and I could not install some IE updates. Some IE6 SP1 security patches actually check those two files you mentioned to see if they are really the IE6 SP1 versions and if they are not, those updates will REFUSE to install. I had to restore those 2 files with the IE6 SP1 versions in order to install those other IE updates that refused to install.

Anyway I am no longer suffering from the hanging deletes bug (even though I did NOT replaces those 2 files this time) because I delete/shred them from xplorer2. Deleting files from Windows Explorer doesn't completely trash them. Shredding files from Spybot S&D (yes, Spybot has a built-in file/folder shredding tool for obliterating sensitive files) does.

There is a big difference between deleting computer files and shredding them.

Microsoft still releases updates for IE 5.5 SP2 ? If so, maybe you can find updated IE 5.5 versions of browse* files.

Yes Gape. The 867282 IE 5.5 SP2 update has an updated browseui.dll file, however, this update normally installs under WinME only because IE 5.5 SP2 is now supported only under WinME. You can 'workaround' this problem by extracting all the files from the IE 5.5 SP2 867282 patch to a temp folder and run the command "ieupdate.exe Q867282" from that temp folder and reboot the machine to use the updated files. Current and future IE 5.5 SP2 security patches will normally install under WinME only.

A follow up on my last comment. Replacing the IE6 SP1 versions of the browseui.dll & browselc.dll files with the IE 5.5 SP2 versions and the Vgx.dll 833989 IE6 SP1 security patch will REFUSE TO INSTALL!!! It will tell you that the patch requires IE6 SP1 to be installed, even if you already have IE6 SP1 installed. This is one of the IE updates that DO check to see if you are really using the IE6 SP1 versions of the browseui.dll & browselc.dll files and not older versions. BUMMER!!!!

But you won't be able to install other IE security updates if you did replace the browseui.dll & browselc.dll files.  I did replace those two files with IE 5.5 SP2 versions one time and I could not install some IE updates.  Some IE6 SP1 security patches actually check those two files you mentioned to see if they are really the IE6 SP1 versions and if they are not, those updates will REFUSE to install.  I had to restore those 2 files with the IE6 SP1 versions in order to install those other IE updates that refused to install.

Anyway I am no longer suffering from the hanging deletes bug (even though I did NOT replaces those 2 files this time) because I delete/shred them from xplorer2.  Deleting files from Windows Explorer doesn't completely trash them.  Shredding files from Spybot S&D (yes, Spybot has a built-in file/folder shredding tool for obliterating sensitive files) does.

There is a big difference between deleting computer files and shredding them.

I could always create a batch file to replace those 2 files...so far, the 5.5 files work great.

[OT] - Not only am I not hanging on big deletes, but *so far* the dibeng.dll errors I would get using my fav browser (maxthon) have disappeared...don't know if it'd coincidental or not...but maxthon would crash almost daily. The only program...but the one I use most. Errors started happening ONLY when I changed my mb to one that had integrated graphics w/Intel 810e....got the proper drivers, all possibilites checked, etc... [/OT]

Anyway - I am so used to Explorer...and if I want to wipe files, then I rightclick and wipe 'em with BCwipe instead of just deleting them...

Yes Gape.  The 867282 IE 5.5 SP2 update has an updated browseui.dll file, however, this update normally installs under WinME only because IE 5.5 SP2 is now supported only under WinME.  You can 'workaround' this problem by extracting all the files from the IE 5.5 SP2 867282 patch to a temp folder and run the command "ieupdate.exe Q867282" from that temp folder and reboot the machine to use the updated files.  Current and future IE 5.5 SP2 security patches will normally install under WinME only.

A follow up on my last comment.  Replacing the IE6 SP1 versions of the browseui.dll & browselc.dll files with the IE 5.5 SP2 versions and the Vgx.dll 833989 IE6 SP1 security patch will REFUSE TO INSTALL!!!  It will tell you that the patch requires IE6 SP1 to be installed, even if you already have IE6 SP1 installed.  This is one of the IE updates that DO check to see if you are really using the IE6 SP1 versions of the browseui.dll & browselc.dll files and not older versions.  BUMMER!!!!

So, if anyone strongly wants to replace these two files on a IE 6.0 installed system, he/she should use this updated browseui.dll from 867282 IE 5.5 SP2 update. Of course he/she can use an INF file for replacing, or she/he can replace these files on the real DOS mode.