Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

New Features of Version 2.0

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

soldier1st

soldier1st

I Work For The Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
so that vmm32.dll that tarun said earlier appears to give problems
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

diesel_98a

diesel_98a

Spurz 4 Life....

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Joined 26-July 03
i would vote to keep the new icons.

but check this out: SWITCH WINDOW (ver 1.0.1)
maybe can find something like it to add, it sure is nice in winXP. just thought on something to add.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
NO, soldier1st. Only time if the vmm32.vxd file causes problems is if it
is corrupted by a computer virus, PC crash or a hard drive malfunction
or when trying to fix the HD problems & the vmm32.vxd file with Scandisk
in DOS mode when Windows is not running.

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
then explain why when my comp was workin fine with no problems and i put this file where it's sposed to and the next reboot it wants msdos 8.0 n thats windows me before it will start means a format of 98
comp is fairly new only 1-3 months old
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
erpdude8 i guess you can't explain it
remember tarun was talking about Internet Explorer Not About Non Internet Explorer Stuff so next time keep on the subject plz

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
What file did you put, soldier1st? You're NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!
It can break your system. You may as well reformat the HD and start
over from scratch. What version of Windows are you actually using?
Just forget about DOS 8 as it is a part of WinME and can never be used
under Win95 or Win98.

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
tarun posted a vmm32 file that i dled n put it where it was sposed to figuring it would help make windows 98 se faster,i run windows 98 se,windows xp+sp1&SP2,Windows 2000+SP3 then after i installed it it wanted msdos 8 then i reformatted so i deleted that file i dled

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
maybe add some tweaks from this site:http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/winmetip.html
i know it says for windows me but some of these can be used on windows 98 se
i applied some and they make windows 98 boot faster by not loading some stuff assuming you don't use them the drivespace &compression utilities

azagahl

azagahl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 12-November 04
Hey, since there is all this talk of vmm32.vxd I should mention I built one last night using the wininit.ini to combine the vxd's. On bootup it said something like "vmm32.tmp integrity check failed, restoring" and then started Windows normally. I renamed vmm32.tmp to vmm32.vxd and deleted all of the vxd's that were combined from the system32 directory, and on rebooting it worked fine without complaint despite the initial "integrity check failed" whining.

I tried the new vmm32.vxd compressed as well as non-compressed (2+ MB). I never noticed any difference in bootup speed or resource usage, but I didn't measure it either. I have backups if you guys can recommend a method for measuring these things so I can try all methods (original + seperate vxds, combined compressed and combined uncompressed).

I was using vxdlib.exe (vxdlib.zip from Axcel216's site) and it seems like a nice tool. It should be very easy to write a program that uses vxdlib.exe to build vmm32.vxd, so you do not have to depend on wininit.ini.

Gape

Gape

Author - Unofficial Win98 SE SP

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

I tried the new vmm32.vxd compressed as well as non-compressed (2+ MB). I never noticed any difference in bootup speed or resource usage, but I didn't measure it either. I have backups if you guys can recommend a method for measuring these things so I can try all methods (original + seperate vxds, combined compressed and combined uncompressed).

azagahl,

Could you test your system with compressed and non-compressed VMM32.VXDs? You can use a simple benchmark program such as PCPlayer 3D Benchmark or WinTune98.

For testing bootup speed, you can use a chronograph ;)

azagahl

azagahl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 12-November 04
With WinTune98 I couldn't detect any performance difference between compressed (0.8 MB) and uncompressed (2.2 MB). Also I could not detect a DOS memory difference. BTW my system is Athlon64 3400 with 1 GB RAM, and old ATA100 hard drives.

I'm guessing boot time would depend on CPU and hard disk speed.

So my vote is for the compressed vmm32, with smaller footprint, probably faster loading (CPU 's are always much faster than hard disks) and higher danger of corruption.

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

With WinTune98 I couldn't detect any performance difference between compressed (0.8 MB) and uncompressed (2.2 MB). Also I could not detect a DOS memory difference. BTW my system is Athlon64 3400 with 1 GB RAM, and old ATA100 hard drives.

I'm guessing boot time would depend on CPU and hard disk speed.

So my vote is for the compressed vmm32, with smaller footprint, probably faster loading (CPU 's are always much faster than hard disks) and higher danger of corruption.

Thanks. Do you have any problem with your 1 GB of RAM ? Your system's specs are very high. Perhaps, a low-end system may show the difference. But the difference should be very small.

So I think a compressed and single VMM32.VXD should be best for averal.

azagahl

azagahl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 12-November 04
>>Do you have any problem with your 1 GB of RAM ?

Nope. I run Morrowind with both expansions and 1.4 GB of mods installed and it runs like a charm. I don't use MaxPhysPage setting, but I do use MaxFileCache=524288 setting installed by your SP; I believe this is required.

One problem I had before was that my SB Live! Value card is very touchy and likes to complain "cannot load patch RAM under 4 MB boundary", preventing Windows from starting. Sometimes the error occurs when shutting down windows. This error occurs less often on 512 MB systems. Setting MaxPhysPage lower, and maybe turning smartdrv off helps avoid this, but I don't want to use those fixes! These changes in windows\system.ini made this problem go away PERMANENTLY :) (not sure which changes are really required):

[386enh]
;EMMExclude=C000-CFFF
EMMExclude=A000-FFFF
VGAMonoText=OFF
PageBuffers=32
LocalLoadHigh=1

I also use lowest possible (undocumented) size of 16 KB for smartdrv cache under Windows. (It's not used anyway.)

FWIW, I currently have a ton of TSR's loaded, sblive drivers loaded high, lots of free conventional AND upper memory, and have no problems in Windows or playing DOS games in Windows.

Gape

Gape

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Joined 01-September 04

Nope. I run Morrowind with both expansions and 1.4 GB of mods installed and it runs like a charm. I don't use MaxPhysPage setting, but I do use MaxFileCache=524288 setting installed by your SP; I believe this is required.

Do you have any problem with DirectX based applications like Games? One user reported that he have some problems with DirectX Games on a 1.5 GB of RAM system. I recommend that he should add your settings, but the problem have not solved.

azagahl

azagahl

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Joined 12-November 04
"One user reported that he have some problems with DirectX Games on a 1.5 GB of RAM system"

I only have 1 GB, but I'm using DirectX 9.0c (October release) and have no DX problems. What kind of DX problems where there? Crashes? Bluescreens?

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
not many ppl play dos games now so those settings for dos r useless for those who don't use dos or play dos games

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04
Unrelated to gape's upcoming 98SE SP2, but cool.
Windows 98SE fans rejoice...
Now you can install the *newer* WMP9 from Windows XP SP2 onto 98SE
[suggested by erpdude8 = many thanks, dude! :)]
Complete guide:
http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S
Scroll down to "NEW: ADD WINDOWS XP SP2 FUNCTIONALITY:".

Enjoy. :)

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
that sure is alot of steps
what are the advantages of adding this to 98 se?will it make it more stable?also could you do it and host it?

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

that sure is alot of steps
what are the advantages of adding this to 98 se?will it make it more stable?also could you do it and host it?

Advantages?
Because WMP9 files from XP SP2 are *newer*, which means a lot of security holes + bugs have been fixed by MS in this build [this is noted at the web page].

Do it and host it?
No, that would [probably] be illegal. :(
But it is legal to post instructions on how to do something like this for educational/personal purposes:
please see the rest of the topic at
In other words, what you do at home with your own computer is ok, as long as you legally own the software. :)
Although I do intend to host Gape's 98SE SP2 final when he's ready to post it.

News flash [12-7-2004]:
MS just posted Windows 2003 SP1 RC1 [which includes HHU build 5.2.3790.1289], and I had to post HTML Help 1.41 Update (HHU) build 5.2.3790.1289 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE + NT4. :)
HHU links [English only]:
http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#HHU
- Win98/98 SP1/98 SE HHU [701 KB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE
- WinNT4 HHU [701 KB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/HHUPDNT.EXE

Enjoy.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,140 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04

tarun posted a vmm32 file that i dled n put it where it was sposed to figuring it would help make windows 98 se faster,i run windows 98 se,windows xp+sp1&SP2,Windows 2000+SP3 then after i installed it it wanted msdos 8 then i reformatted so i deleted that file i dled

Ah, no wonder. You were trying to use that vmm32.vxd file Tarun suggested
which was the WinME version on a Win98se system. BAD IDEA! The vmm32
file is OS specific. That means the WinME version of vmm32 can only work
under WinME and not any other Windows version. Well, now you know what happened.

You CAN however, replace the user.exe and user32.dll files with the WinME version
as MDGx told me it can slightly improve performance & has better memory management
than the Win98se version. See Axcel216's Win98 Tricks + Secrets part 5 page
on how to do it:
http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm
And using the WinME user.exe & user32.dll files on a Win98 system won't have
the side effects of using that WinME vmm32 file under Win98.

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
thnx
i will try it

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
well it renamed it but it didn't allow me to place those files where they were sposed to and wouldn't boot or allow me to rename them back so i booted into xp,copied the new files where they were sposed to and here i am using those new files

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04

well it renamed it but it didn't allow me to place those files where they were sposed to and wouldn't boot or allow me to rename them back so i booted into xp,copied the new files where they were sposed to and here i am using those new files

Probably because your original files [USER32.DLL + USER.EXE] in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM [default, generic is %windir%\SYSTEM] had the read-only and/or system and/or hidden attributes. If that was the case, the DOS COPY + MOVE commands would not allow replacing files with such attributes.
The fix is to run [from any DOS prompt after booting to Win98SE, no need to boot to another MS OS, and if you do, the %windir% variable applies *only* to that specific MS OS, in your case WinXP, and won't work as stated]:
ATTRIB -H -R -S %windir%\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL
and then:
ATTRIB -H -R -S %windir%\SYSTEM\USER.EXE
Then you can replace those files only from native MS-DOS, *not* from within Win98SE GUI [see more details at the web page]:

Hope this helps.

soldier1st

soldier1st

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
i followed the instructions,it renamed the files in dos mode but didn't allow me to copy them so i moved them from another os and i do have the benefit of the better memory management

nil

nil

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 09-December 04

Could you test your system with compressed and non-compressed VMM32.VXDs? You can use a simple benchmark program such as PCPlayer 3D Benchmark or WinTune98.

For testing bootup speed, you can use a chronograph ;)

These help?
Boot Log Analyser http://www.woundedmo...nalyzer123.html
Boot Log Examiner http://www.systemsby...oftware/ble.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN