Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

cmd box: find out how much RAM there is

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi!

I'm searching for a preferably internal command in DOS box which tells me how much RAM there is at all in the system. Is there anything like this? Or will I have to use an external tool?

thx

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

oftentired

oftentired

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
mem

type mem /? for switch information
Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~Richard N. Patterson

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
yeah, I knew that already. But mem tells me only how much conventional ram (640 k) is there, not the total amount of RAM in system.

FAT64

FAT64

• PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
Doesn't DOS suffer from the 640Kb barrier? (And it was Bill Gates who said "640Kb should be enough for anyone" - what does he know?!!) I'm not sure you can find out from DOS the total memory available.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

my2001

my2001

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
:lol: Yeah, you're so **** right! And unfortunately you might be right with what you've said about the total amount of RAM. :( But doesn't anyone know a little freeware tool?

Metzen

Metzen

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

:lol: Yeah, you're so **** right! And unfortunately you might be right with what you've said about the total amount of RAM. :( But doesn't anyone know a little freeware tool?

I use msinfo32 to generate a report file and grep the memory size out of that.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
You could use a vbscript/wmi combo. It's very easy...
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN