[RIS] installation troubles

DaJackal

Hello

I'm currently busy with a project that involves deploying windows XP images through a Remote Installation service on a windows 2003 server. I need to install a total of about 150 pc's. The server works fine and RIS works without problems.

But there is one problem:

About 60 of the pc's are Termtek thin clients (http://www.termtek.com.tw/product_tk3350xp.html).

When I try to deploy XP on these computers, some files are copied and then the pc crashes. After a while I get a blue screen (BSOD) telling me that a kernelthread holding a mutex is stopped... :blink:

What works:

Win2k or W2k server installation via RIS on the termtek.

WinXP deployment through RIS on 'normal' computers.

Attach a cdromstation to the termtek and install XP directly from cd. (we dont want that!)

Wat does NOT work:

Install XP on the termtek pc's using RIS...:angry:

Now im hoping that somebody experienced these same problems in the past and found a solution for it. I tried a lot of solutions without succes, so I hoe for just that one option I accidently forgot to try

Thanx a lot fot your time!

Note: My 2003 server runs with all updates and I tried the XP image With- and without ServicePack 1 (and 2)

And what kind of login script did u had in mind?

In the end I would like to have the RIS working for all my systems, we are working with it now on Win2k server to deploy Win2K pro. We don't want to throw that away, since it is working perfectly. And XP should also work! But somewere, someplace, there's a problem... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Check to see wheather the machines affected by the odd behaviour has newest BIOS etc etc. Also make sure they meet the crtirieas for PC98 compatability (PXE) and so on.... then again there might be a common thing amongst the not working comps (as a bios version in common and so on) ? I u can attach a CD like u said and install XP onto that machine but it crashes with RIS my guess it has to do with NIC or firmware ( read the spec for RIS / PXE ) think it is called PC98 compatability or something.

if they meet all the criterias (all new pc's does) then it is just a matter of adding drivers and stuff..