possible to install linux on xp machine?

sven

is it possible to install linux onto a windows xp machine? im running inux right now off a cd, but i want to know if its possible to install it and decide which os i want it to start in?

any opinions or idea will be greatly appreciated

ps. this was posted using linux :P

so is it worth it or not?  or just get virtual pc... i want the simplest one also.  i should be getting a new hd soon also, so i dont want to do any partionning.

Whatever you do, DON'T even try installing Gentoo... I tried it the other night and it took forever, even though I followed the documentation on it! :lol: Try either installing Fedora Core 2 or Mandrake if you want something easy to learn with! ;)

Oh yes, currently I have Win98SE on C:, WinXPSP2 on D:, and w/ LILO an install of Red Hat 9. All running smooth on this config:

;config.tXt

;28.09.2004

;07:07 PST

Graphic Card: Matrox Millenium G200 AGP

Model #: Just ain't feeling like unscrewing to look inside.............

Sr #: Just ain't feeling like unscrewing to look inside.............

Driver version: 6.83.017 in Win98, 5.92.006 in WinXP

PD version: 6.83.017 in Win98, 6.92.004 in WinXP

VT version: N/A

MGA Bios version: 1.4.004

Hardware rev.: 133

CPU: AMD Athlon 600 MHz (AMD K7600MTR51B) @687MHz (FSB114, CL2)

Chipset: VIA Apollo KX133 (VT8731 + 82C686A)

Motherboard: SL-77KV

Motherboard Bios: L5

PCB ver: M5

Motherboard chipset patches: AGP GART 1.80a from VIA Hyperion 4.51v

RAM: 2x Kingston 256MB KVR133X64C3/256 (@114MHz)

Desktop resolution and color depth: 1024x768, 32bpp

DirectX version: DX9.0b, 4.09.0000.0902 in Win98, Win2000

Hard Drive: Seagate Baraccuda 7200.7, ST380011A; firmware v3.06

SCSI card type: NIL

Sound card and driver version: Integrated VIA AC'97, drv v5.50a in Win98/WinXP

Hardware rev.: 032

Monitor brand: Philips 105S2

CD-ROM Drive (make/model): Asus S520/A, firmware rev. 2.0L

Network card: NIL

Fax MODEM: Amigo AMI-2019E, (also called AM HW 3056) (PCI slot 3 of 5)

Driver Version: 3.37

Hardware revision: 001

Someone correct me on this, but from what I understand, you need to install Windows first. Just a note for when you do install Linux. I had a version of Linux installed a couple of years ago and I believe that is what I did.

Someone correct me on this, but from what I understand, you need to install Windows first.  Just a note for when you do install Linux.  I had a version of Linux installed a couple of years ago and I believe that is what I did.

You can install whatever you want first, but usually installing Windows first makes things a lot easier! :)

easiest way would be a virtual machine.. or if you have 2 hard drives makes 1 windows xp and 1 linux, whenever you wanna boot linux unplug the windows hard drive and visa-versa.

I tried to dual boot Windows and Linux on the same hard drive, i got so confused i said screw it. after about 30 minutes in linux i said not worth it and put windows back on lol.

I'm not so sure about XP but on the pc that I am using now I have windows 2000.

some time ago I installed slackware .. didn't like that , so I formatted the linux partitions "using Windows disk managment" , installed RedHat 9 .. then decided to try Mandrake 10 -- again didn't like that -- now I'm back to RedHat 9 -- in few days -- as soon as I complete the download of Fedora Core 2 . I'll give it a shot.

the thing is :

Linux was installed 4 times -- 3 different falvours -- on a 40 GB HDD shared with windows 2000 -- the Win2k installation was not affected at all.

It works just fine in a dual boot configuration, the only thing is you need to have enough free space on your HDD to install linux on -- and of course you should be careful while installing linux -- you do not want to format the windows partition -- I know many people who did just that, and if u do not have backup it is going to be ugly :blink: