HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Windows 2000 Pro French, hotfixes applied afterwards to overcome the problem with "Microsoft Windows Network"...

WU claims I need Outlook Express 6 -- the full deal, not an update.

Verifying the program by going to Help > About shows that I do have OE6 installed...

@Bilou - Thanks for the tip with the WUA. I won't be true-slipstreaming that as you mention. Perhaps in the future I'll include it. The problem I have is that the installer for that has all the languages in it, and to decipher all the languages is tricky in the script. I'm sure you read the code for hfslip, and if you noticed on the last round, I removed an entire large section for automatic language selection. It just didn't work well. So for now, I won't slipstream it, unless someone else can craft a script that will select languages and output a two letter language (for example English=EN, Français=FR, etc) for ALL languages. I cannot readily find a short and sweet solution to this issue. Anyone feeling like stepping up to the plate? Once that's done, slipstreaming that fix is a piece of cake. BTW, can you confirm Tomcat76's issue with the webvw.dll file with your French version?

@Tomcat76 - It seems that you have many language windows at your disposal. Pending Bilou's webvw.dll diagnosis of webvw.dll, I'll change HFSLIP such that the old version of webvw.dll is kept. That way WU will be happy with an older file. This change will not affect English users because this seems to be a non-English issue. For your WMP9 fix, you may want to put your change in the OEM cmdlines or just run a post-install regchange. Perhaps an alternate way to take care of this would be to del that wmp7 branch and add in a reg line like this (can you tell that I love WMP?):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WMP9]
"DisplayName"="Windows Mierda Player 9 Series"
"UninstallString"=""

@Ikky_Phoenix - I worked a bit on the OE issue, I think it's fixed up nicely now. Once I hear back from Tomcat76 and Bilou on the webvw.dll issue, I'll forward the new hfslip to FDV for everyone's enjoyment.

It seems that you have many language windows at your disposal.
It comes with the job. I live in Flanders, which isn't that large and is pretty close to the French-speaking part of Belgium (where I delivered computers before) and Germany (where I got some relatives and friends). I have Win2K Pro in English, Dutch and French; the whole 2K Server line (3) in English; and Windows XP Pro in English, Dutch, German and French. You just gotta have it -- if not to sell, then to troubleshoot (you need to know what you're doing when repairing a computer or a network setup).
Pending Bilou's webvw.dll diagnosis of webvw.dll, I'll change HFSLIP such that the old version of webvw.dll is kept.
You know... it's entirely up to you but I'd still have my reservations about using a fully slipped non-English system. As I said before, I really believe it's not a problem with the file itself so it's normal I wonder "what else could be broken". I've been having errors on the Microsoft KB and/or Technet pages as well, sometimes requiring me to click away up to 20 or more error dialogs just to see a page.

I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but the Update Rollup contains this file and you are also excluding two files from the same package. On the instructions page, you say that Windows Update is supposed to complain about a missing Update Rollup installation but I don't get that at all; ie, it's properly installed according to WU. Maybe something went wrong there...

(can you tell that I love WMP?)
I share your opinion. I normally use WMP 6.4 and Media Player Classic. This is just for testing...

*** EDITED ***

I've compared the registry for Outlook Express entries on the 2K Dutch and 2K French installations, and made a reg file with fixes. This made Windows Update happy (and me too :lol: )

Edit #2: less registry fixes are required.

oe_2kfr_fix.txt

Edited by Tomcat76

1.) How can I test if IE6 and DirectX 9.0c are correctly slipstreamed without installing W2k?

2.)When new hotfixes are released, can I just use my now up-to-date version and slipstream only the new hotfix?

why is it that in the unattended forum, folks don't really seem to be too interested in HFSLIP? I'm doing a "competition" thing, but am seriously wondering. I mean, slipstreaming and renaming and switches and all that modding by hand... Why? The potential for getting things wrong is huge, and once you've done it once, you "get" it... Just curious.

FDV I don't know what you mean by the unattended forum but I've passed your vorck.com url out to a lot of my friends who have gotten burned by IE and many now are getting to the point where they just want to get rid of it from their system, particularly in light of the latest IE exploits.

Unfortunately, most of 'em run that bloated pig of a program IE so they are trying nLite out instead.

You and TommyP shouldn't worry about the competition thing. This is the internet. What you guys are doing is fantastic and word will spread, just takes time.

@kukris - There some tests to do to verify IE6. For starters, you can open up each of the files required for IE6 and verify that they say 6 instead of 5. For DX9, there is too many files to verify. It's far easier installing the source onto a VM type of program and do the verification there. Takes far less time. As far as slipstreaming an additional update. Sorry dude, you have to re-run the entire batch. Someone else asked this a few weeks ago, and honestly, I have no time to figure out how to do it. I figure a week of my personal time to save someone else 15 minutes isn't worth it IMHO. Sorry to be blunt. :)

MSOE integration is a PITA. I'm not sure how people tolerate such a program. I did one last try for MSOE, and wil be submitting to FDV for uploading. If people find too much heartburn seeing a non-essential, non-critical windowsupdate for MSOE6, then they should not use the program. Period. If anyone has issues with their install and WU, I'll have to remind them to re-read the instructions, especially the part about reporting issues with hfnetchk results.

New version is up. Slight changes, none affecting english users. Fixed the webvw.dll (will eliminate the kb894320 webvw.dll file). Attempted some fixes for the MSOE6 lovers. Have fun.

TP

@kukris - about making sure if slipstreaming went well, i can guarantee to you that if you're using the EN files, it _will_ go fine. i can help you test though; see an email from me.

Edited by fdv

@all - the time has come for some testing.

what i want to know for purposes of documentation is "what happens when you try to install an HFSLIP'ped Windows from DOS?" I'd like to know about:

1. Windows 2000 with slipstreamed dx9

2. Windows 2000 with slipstreamed ie6

3. Windows 2000 with slipstreamed dx9 and ie6

any takers?

get a boot disk from http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#14

remember that in many cases, using DOS requires that the drive be formatted in FAT32. make sure your cdrom drive is recognized (most DOS bootdisks will do this).

then view this step http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#23

obviously you will be ignoring the part of my instructions that say 'don't boot from dos if you've slipstreamed dx9' because that's the goal here. also, we're NOT testing the whole 'make four windows floppies and install from them' because, well, who the heck bothers with that?

thanks for the assist, whoever wants to try this...

You can't hfslip an hfslipped source. You need a virgin source. Why? Because the script generates additional INF files for which hotfixes are installed, and the script is expecting to have an unadulterated source. If time is too critical, you can remove the "CALL :SPCABS" from the file. The downside to that would be that you'll have a mix of new and old files in your installation.

@Outatouch - glad you got the slipstream command. DOS may be archaic yeah but some good DOS knowledge always serves you well no matter how far Windows has come ;-) made your suggested change, thanks.

Net framework: get the repacked version at the link, RyanVM's. it has all the security updates in it.

See a PM from me on the rest.

@Tomcat76 - thanks also for your proofing work and change about WGA, and also for the language translations!

- RANDOM -

Recently, someone took a shot across our collective bow.

Now seems like the right time to remind folks:

- that HFSLIP is GPL.

- that if you suggest a fix in this thread, no one is going to tell you to stop giving input.

- other programs may brag that they are more difficult to use and that they cost more, but HFSLIP features enhanced Stain Fighting Power to get your clothes sparkling clean. HFSLIP also tastes like champagne.

/sarcasm

You can't buy integrity. (Nor can you license it for $25.)

Edited by fdv

@ FDV: I'll bite... :)

@ TommyP:

I'll give it a try because I like the project, but I won't be using it for real.

Think about it... If a hotfix is not important (KB894320), then why bother updating the Windows CD at all? :unsure:

Edited by Tomcat76