HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@electrician - you are an nlite user, and we want you to make sure that you are putting of the files that you need to in the "keep" box. are you? http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#nlitekeep

@pene - sorry. post 705 issues:

1. the WindowsUpdateAgent question - my post before this one has a CODEBOX that has an INF file in it. i need someone to see if it installs Windows Update using my fileset. Use my files, and save the CODEBOX contents as AU.INF, replacing my empty one. my goal is to add the background windows update agent as well as the IE one. what you would do is visit windows update by typing the url into an explorer bar (after having installed MSHTML.INF from my fileset).

2. the ROOTSUPD question - i believe this is applicable only to IE. these do not seem to be certificates for digital file signatures, etc.

@saugatak - right click on msoe or mshtml inf file, whichever you want, and select "install." as for the Limited Edition Outlook 6 Installer, i don't offer that anymore. but, uh, let's say that in theory, you might have a pm with a hypothetical link by sunday night where it maybe might be found possibly.

@all - remember, when using my files, that if you don't change the name of DELFILES, if you just leave it alone and ignore it, NO files will be deleted. HFSLIP will only delete files if you add a dot tee ex tee extension to it. personally, i don't delete any files, but it's there for people who want to slim down their source about one meg ;) (hardly worth it, but then, some folks have their reasons).

@moat - new link?

@tomcat76 - HFSLIP isn't in the business of deleting files, unless you rename DELFILES (which does not contain mscoree.dll anyway). this dll is part of dot net.

it's nice to see that everyone is starting to get good at this :thumbup

in other news, there has been no word on getting our own forum. anyone got an "in" with any of the moderators? we'd either like a subforum here, or a "project" one like nlite has (which do you guys and gal think is better)?

Edited by fdv

pene, there are two ways windows updates itself, and in the INF installer text, you'll see a file with a CPL extension. that is the control panel applet for "keep windows up to date automatically." that, and updates via a url typed in the explorer bar (after having right clicked and installed mshtml.inf from my fileset) are what i was investigating.

i need someone to use my fileset, replace the contents of AU.INF with the CODEBOX contents in my post with the chili recipe, and install. then install mshtml.inf, and see if 1) the control panel applet works, 2) windowsupdate works via "windowsupdate.micrsoft.com" typed into an explorer windows titlebar.

@fdv:

Interesting. So Windows Update might work on an IE-less system by typing update.microsoft.com in an explorer titlebar... And I was sure all along that IE was needed... A few more questions about this:

1. How would Windows Update deal with the missing IE? I mean, what about updates to IE itself or to other components that won't be installed? Will it know not to show them?

2. Couldn't this trick work also for Add/Remove? Or is it completely IE dependant?

Regarding testing it, I will be able to test it only on next weekend, as I don't have access to my Win2000 HD at the moment...

Now, to a few notes about Step 4 in the instructions (sorted by order of appearance):

1. At "XML 4 (optional)":

You seemed to have missed my note about the XML4 install point 1 (in the same post #705). Not that it really matters, it's just that for a very long time, every time I look at the instructions I wonder why it's there :) If i'm wrong about it, let me know.

2. At "Malicious Software Removal Tool (optional)":

If all that the stupidly large file does is update generate a regkey, why just not slipstream a reg file instead of the tool? (Do you know what the reg entry that it updates is?)

3. At "Windows Update, LegitCheck (optional)":

At point 2, (info on Windows Genuine Advantage) points to a dead link. The new link is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898588

4. At Exodorial The Windows Wizard (end of Step 4):

WGA points to a dead link. The new link is: http://www.uawiki.org/doku.php?id=wxp:ua:activation

Thanks again,

Pene

Edited by pene

fdv

I can try the new file but only on weekend. Personally I don't like the idea - I deleted this service even before I started using your set of file with an empty .inf. That was Gosh's trick if I'm not mistaken. I don't like things are going to take place without me knowing it :)

And don't WU checks the serial number? But using your set of files there is no serial number :wacko:

As for Limited Edition: why not just publish a receipy of .inf file and a list of files, then give an instruction how to make the installer? No files are provided, to tricks with modifying files ;)

Thanks for clarifying about ROOTSUPD question - I was wondering about it also.

And now I'm wondering: do I really need wmfdist.exe? tommyp may I ask you how are you installing codecs?

I'm one of those who would like to have a lighter source ;) As far as you don't install Help System can we also delete all .chm and .hlp files from the source? It's about 11MB ...

Edited by Oleg_II

@Oleg_II:

I totally agree about the things that happen without knowing, but the ability to run windows update from within explorer seems interesting... Hoping that it would know to deal with the missing components of course...

Regards,

Pene

@Oleg_II - If you want to slipstream wm9 and wm10 codecs (NOT the player, only the codecs), then put wmfdist.exe in the HF folder. I install the remainder of my codecs using the HFEXPERT folder. It works great with a full-up hfslip version, but when I run NLITE on the source (very heavily I may add), some codecs don't work properly. When I get free time (not very often) I'll have to troubleshoot it. You can learn more about the HFEXPERT folder on FDVs instructional site. If you're not a novice user of unattended installations, then HFEXPERT isn't for you. BTW, after I run NLITE, I rip out an additional 8 meg or so of extra bloat. Nuhi didn't want any w2k inputs, so I did it myself.

tommyp

So you also use this file and install some more codecs with another folder. Thank you for replying :thumbup

I really don't know what else can be done with HFSLIP because everything works great already. Maybe you can help fdv with your experiance in nLite so that he removes more not needed files from the source with his set :)

And it's very interesting to learn about your W2k experience with your script and nLite :whistle:

By the way I used this method to reduce source before. Have not try it after switching to HFSLIP. It saved me only about 2,5MB (and I manually delete 4 folders in source and some languages also).

Edited by Oleg_II

@pene - Sorry for not answering earlier, I wanted to leave that malicious tool there because the file generates a regkey when it's run. A workaround is for the user of HFSLIP to generate a REG file and run it during installation. I wanted to make it as easy as possible for people. Personally I don't care if my system has that tool installed because if I install windows, I should not have malicous software on it. To each their own though. :)

@FDV: On your web page you say the following re HelpExplorer

"HelpExplorer - For reading Help files. HTML Help and IE both use Windows' built-in HTML display functionality. Download HelpExplorer and extract DINO_D67_v1.01_demo. Find the BIN and GRC subdirectories and move them to C:\WINNT\ and then create a shortcut for helpexplorer.exe on your desktop. Then, associate help files with that binary. (If you have to ask how to associate a filetype with a certain program, please use Google. These kinds of fundamentals are not included in this guide). You could tinker with xCHM too."

Do you mean the "GRE" subdirectory, not the GRC subdirectory? I couldn't find a GRC subdirectory.

"To add Outlook and Address Book, open SYSSETUP.INF, find the [infs.Always] section, and uncomment just MSOE50.INF."

Should the above be changed?

Also, I'd like to remove Wordpad. Should I just put a ; in front of the wordpad entries in LAYOUT and TXTSETUP?

Does anything need to be done with WORDPAD.INF to remove wordpad?

Finally, I use CrapCleaner which is free and a much better cleaning utility than what comes with Win2k. I think you should have a reference to it on your webpage of useful programs to add, www.ccleaner.com.

I want to remove the built in disk cleaner utility so I put ; in front of "cleanmgr.exe" in LAYOUT and TXTSETUP. Will that do it?

Edited by saugatak

Trying to burn an ISO image of my HFSLIP Win2k so that I can run it in VMWare to test it out.

Nero won't let me burn an ISO image. I check "Make Bootable CD" option, I add the files in SOURCESS, and then try various save and burn options, but none of them let me save as an ISO as recommended by FDV.

Any suggestions?

@saugatak - thanks for the changes.

1. GRE vs GRC, yeah

2. Outlook instructions - changed

3. wordpad - yes, this is all you need for wordpad. as for the inf file, sometimes windows gets cranky if you don't at least have the inf file, that's why i used to change their contents instead. just comment it out in SYSOC. as long as its gone from SYSOC, nothing in the inf needs to be changed.

4. cleanmgr - yep, that's what you need to comment out to remove it.

5. nero - did you follow step 21? change your device prior to burnination, you should be all set

@pene -

1. ok about the MSI extractor and the msxml4 note, thanks.

2. without ie, windiz update (and probably windows update too) would suggest updates to ie, outlook, etc.

let me say that i have zero intention of tricking windows update to think that ie is installed. the os and office and other programs are tricked, update works totally differently. just in case anyone was going to ask :P

3. malicious software tool - don't know anything about it, couldn't tell ya. tommyp probably has the regvalue in his notes. i take it you want to extract the .REG and do it that way.

4. wga links updated, thanks

@oleg_II -

1. yeah i dont like WU either but some folks really want it so it would be an optional thing anyway.

2. WU now checks serial? i thought that was genuine advantage. and as for WGA, with my files, you might discover that you're never bothered about it. have you been?

3. if you delete all .CHM and .HLP like my sp4, be prepared to remove them from TXTSETUP and LAYOUT. otherwise windows will have a lot of files it says are missing. it wont really save you very much, and the effort deleting CHM and HLP in the setup files is huge.

4. a 'recipe' for creating outlook would just cause people great pain :} if folks want this, have a look around the 'net or wait until it pops up again

Edited by fdv

@FDV: This is that weirdo that you helped via email this morning :)

How can I add/remove windows *components* after removing IE? I am referring to the dialog box that is normally accessed by launching add/remove programs and then clicking on the "add/remove windows componenets" link over on the left hand side. This allows you to add/remove comonents such as dial-up networking, accessibility, games, screensavers, etc.

Would gurglemeyer's version of DirectX work with FDV/HFSLIP? I had some DX issues and I am considering trying Gurglemeyer's installer (just for DX).

Instead of deleting winnt.sif like we discussed, I am going to use the instructions I found at this page: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=202

Is there a better winnt.sif wizard? I found a few on the net, but am curious if you have any recommendations. I will rely heavily on http://unattended.msfn.org/global/reference.htm.

Can you also provide instructions for burning the disc with a free burner such as CDBurnerXP? I tried to recreate your instructions using their help with it but had no luck. Something about the boot sector was wrong and I got errors. I don't want to buy Nero when there are free burners available :)

Thanks again!

@FDV: I am using your suggestion to follow the instructions at http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/cd.htm to add drivers to my disc. I made a couple of adjustments to match the FDV/HFSLIP method:

Next copy the presetup.cmd and SETUP.EX_ file that you downloaded into the I386 directory in your Windows Setup Source.

I copied these files to FDVFILES instead

Now open TXTSETUP.SIF in Notepad, and seach for setup.exe = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0,,1,2

I used your TXTSETUP.SIF in FDVFILES and found that line, but it wasn't the same. Your file reads:

setup.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

so I changed it to:

setup.exe = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0,,1,2

I will install from this disc soon. Just wanted to contribute a bit...I'll let you know how it works out.