HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@FDV: Your website says:

September 26, 2005 (bug fix for fileset)
...what was the bug? What files changed? Do you keep a log of your updates?

Your instructions say to use D:/ but it doesn't seem to matter what drive is used. Could you add a note to your site that says whether or not D:\ is required?

Edited by TAiN

fdv

Sorry man, I was lucky not to be attached to my computer this weekend :) so I didn't try your AU.INF thing. If nothing happens I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm not sure about WU checking serial. You are probaly wright - it's genuine advantage. But I thought it may interfere somehow. Will try.

I'd like to help with removing .chm and .hlp files as well as other not needed files if you want. I've already looked at txtsetup.sif and know it will be a huge task (about 3 hundred files in my list). I can comment them or delete from txtsetup.sif and add to delfiles.txt. Let me know if you agree and I do this work.

Interesting info about cleanmgr. But there is something that makes shortcut for it in Start menu. There is still a few things that can be removed from Windows after using your set of files. If a forum about HFSLIP opens it would be great to have a thread for users who want remove some more components manually.

Edited by Oleg_II

If a forum about HFSLIP opens it would be great to have a thread for users who want remove some more components manually.

Or on the flip side, adding more components. I just slipstreamed a ton of codecs! It would be cool if the mods created a new forum for this. It's nice having a wmp free system and be able to play all types of files (excluding quicktime and real media because I hate them).

@TAiN - Can you please post your "error_report.txt" file. All the info I need to troubleshoot your problems is in that. All I can say for starters is to be sure that you have your source folder properly placed and named. Please post the error report and I'll get back to you. Also, there are two methods of installing DX9. One is slipstreamed and the other is svcpack'd. Instructions for both are on the top of this thread. The choice is yours on which way to go, both methods work great. I cannot say if Gurglemeyer's dx9 package works because I haven't tried it.

Edited by tommyp

@TommpP: I am having some problems so I opened up a DOS box and ran:

D:\HFSLIP>D:\HFSLIP\HFSLIP_50928.cmd > D:\HFSLIP\HFSLIP_50928_output.TXT

I attached the output file (HFSLIP_50928_output_trimmed.txt) to this post (with lot of the xx% progress indications trimmed out) along with a file (HFSLIP_50928_errors.txt) that contains some of the errors I saw. These errors scrolled by on the DOS box but did not get output to the file. I was not able to capture them all before they scrolled by but hopefully it helps.

The error_report is also included.

The attached output was run on source with some mods applied but I had very similar results with no mods (drivers, codecs, etc).

Any thoughts?

@ saugatak

If you don't have the full version of Nero that might be the reason. I think I ran into that same issue because I only had the OEM version that came with my burner.

If you just want to create an iso image to test on a virtualPC I just used nLight for that. Just skip straight to the last step. Once I got my HFslip like I wanted it I upgraded my Nero and used the method on FDV's instructions to burn the CD.

Re NERO: I like things that are free just as much as the next guy but sometimes you get what you pay for. Or sometimes you just have to pay to play...

I think a fourum with multiple subject threads would be a good idea. It should make this easier to read because it can be broken down into different threads: newbies, xp, 2000, 2003, program development, troubleshooting...

We are sort of all over the place right now. Our "thread" has enough twists and turns to knit a sweater! Reminds me of a "chatroom" with all different subjects bouncing around at the same time :lol::wacko:

Is there someone we can e-mail polite requests to grant HFSLIP it's own fourum?

:thumbup

i think we are all agreed -- out of necessity, it's time for a new forum. this is getting insanely hard to follow :blink:

am emailing xper now... told him the details, he is considering i think (or, he's gone to bed, which i need to do muself)

@TAiN - adding / removing, this was hooked to MSHTML, so you need to use a program listed at step 9.

UnClean 2 - Because once IE is gone, you won't be able to uninstall programs.

MyUninstaller - Pretty much does the same thing as above, but GPL.

guglemeyer's unoffical sp5 has directx 7.1 in it right now. that you would get problems with dx9 is very odd. if you don't want dx9, just leave out that step. in other words, remove BDANT.cab and dxnt.cab from HFCABS.

winnt.sif - to let everyone know, what is in question here is getting back the windows partitioning and formatting menu for the drive. IIRC, deleting winnt.sif will get this menu back, as well as the "Press F6" message.

free cd burning packages - dunno, never supported them. nero does the sector count perfectly... it's like outatouch says, it's really a defacto requirement. i just dont have the time to work out the requirements for MKISOFS.EXE right now.

filecopy errors are common with HFSLIP. it does not mean something is wrong, it usually means junk is being discarded.

this driver integration guide you're using -- that "= 100" after the filename means it comes from windows xp, sp(1|2), so leave it as a "= 1". those instructions will work for win2k fine, or should, but it's little things like that that tell the user they wrote it with xp in mind.

i see "codecreg.reg" in the expert directory, and an inf file. reg and inf files should go elsewhere... guess! :D

lastly it does not matter what drive you use. the instructions just "Have about 3 gigs of working space (a large D: drive in my examples)."

Edited by fdv

@TAiN - Are you running HFSLIP on a modified OS? It seems that fundamental DOS commands aren't functioning with your system, which in turn cause HFSLIP not to work. See if you have EXPAND.EXE in your system32 folder as HFSLIP calls out that one. If you have another PC laying around, try HFSLIP on that instead.

Also with your HFEXPERT files, you are putting old WMP codecs in there, and these will overwrite the WM10 codecs you slipstreamed. So be careful on what you do there. If a mod creates our own forum, I'll post directions on how to do the codec slipstreaming properly (which will be at your own risk obviously).

Edited by tommyp

@fdv: I am using MyUninstaller, but it doesn't give you access to add/remove windows *components*...I can't find any software to replace this functionality.

To fix the paritioning issue (to add the option to parition manually) I changed this in winnt.sif:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0

[Unattended]
ExtendOemPartition=1
FileSystem=*
Repartition=No

If I get CdBurnerXP working, would you like me to send you the instructions? It is free software and works quite well.

That other guide I was using for driver integration is *crap*. I found a better version of that method here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12566

The .INFs in my HFEXPERT folder are codec installer .INFs...your STEP 15 said to put them in there...am I misinterpreting your instructions?

@TommyP: It turns out that I somehow had bad copies of XCOPY and EXPAND. Replaced them both with stock files and the process is going MUCH better now :)

Removed those codecs as well. I am using a stripped-down codec pack that I think I found in one of these MSFN forums (it is called coddecs1.7.rar) but the readme doesn't have any contact information in it. Anyway, it had some WMV codecs as well and I didn't think to deconflict that. Thanks for catching it!

Okay, I have been to Fred and Tommy's site and gone through the guides to get an idea of what this is about. This thread is pretty daunting, however.

My question is this: can you give me the least difficult path to using one these techniques without having 2K, XP or 2K3 already installed? I can't seem to find a reason that one needs to be running them, but there is a statement to same in the first few lines. I would like to do a clean install.

See, I have never gotten past 98SE at home. I have used 98lite and thought that it would strip the crap out, but either MS code is just impervious to this sort of manipulation or the program was not quite as slick as it should be, or maybe I am just too non-technical about programming. I have a copy of 2K3 on the way, because I am sick of 98 not working, but I am not willing to go tra-la-la-ing down the yellow brick MS road either. I have used any and every browser but IE since 1996. Except at work, where I got a wrist slapped for running Opera off a data stick. Oooohhhhh....

To close, I think it is great that you all have come up with this and I have to admire Fred's candidness on the site. It makes me wonder why you all bother to run windoze at all.

Thanks for any input, rb

ratba_tardly, you need to run at least 2k in order to slipstream a SP into an OS.

or so i read everywhere i see. i had a method of doing it on nt4 but it's in my notes and i don't recall it off hand. also... um, not sure about how well the modern MAKECAB will run on 98, you gotta have that. AFAIK this has never been tried.

BTW, why a server OS?

BTW part 2, as for us running windows or linux, we'll leave that whole debate for slashdot :lol: as for why we don't run MacOS, well... dunno, actually. i coulda switched in 2002 or so when i was contemplating a platform switch. i started on a mac and used to make fun of PC users with their command line. then one day i saw someone drag a spreadhseet into a word document (this was 1993, on windows 3.1, with word 2.0 using object linking and embedding). the mac had nothing like it, so i switched to windows. i am now going to ramble pointlessly, so get ready.

okay then in 1995 i switched (or added, i should say) os/2. i really liked its stability but at the time, warp (borg) had an odd interface. to create a new folder, for example, you had to go to the launch pad and make it there and then move it where you wanted it. i then dual booted windows 95 and redhat linux (caldera, the horrors) and i lived with that until i decided nt4 was best for me in 1997. i loved nt 4. i knew some mac users and that platform still had a looooong way to go. i used nt4 right up until something ridiculous, like 2001 IIRC, when i got win2k.

Edited by fdv

fdv,

Quite the history. I guess you have your experience on other systems to back your decision. I sort of wish I had stuck with OS/2 in 95. Granted it might not be workable anymore, but it felt a lot cleaner than windoze. I haven't had the stomach or time for Linux, beyond a cheap, diskette-install router.

Anyway, so how do make this as painless as possible? I am not looking forward to all nighters to get this going. There is no getting around installing the OS once as MS intended I assume.

Server OS because I saw it on sale, did some reading, and thought that maybe some of window-dressing crap that MS shovels into their consumer OS would be left out. And I have a small network in the house. And I love to tinker when the weather gets too chilly for drinking beer outdoors. Not that I should, but anyway...

rb

So, re-reading the "methods" again...I could build the CD on any 2000 or XP system? I.e., muh haahhahaa, at work? While I am supposed to be actually productive? Well, that presents an easier challenge! All the updates are local, too. Please tell me that this is the way to go, I am done in ten days, and I would much rather j..k off than give another ounce of flesshhh...:sneaky:

rb

that's okay, no offense taken.

yes, you need to run hfslip on windows 2k+, at work. no you aint got no choice in this. do the USB key thing, everything can be done from there. ha, lying! i'm such a kidder. you'd need like a 3 gig USB memstick. transport it and run it on your employer's hard drive. then copy SOURCESS back onto the stick.

reminder to all, this is where to look to find my and TommyP's configurations for windows 2000.

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#hf

@saugatak - pm me your email addy, i have a hard time sometimes connecting MSFN usernames with email addresses. i have a tip that will help you with ISO creation.

Edited by fdv