HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@outatouch - no, hadn't addressed this post yet, but let me say that documentation will soon change. as for the problems you describe, well, you should retest using the next version, due by week's end. things change enough so that whatever bug is happening might not in the next version.

@vci - I looked into the 888111 fix, and it's not slipstreamable. I guess it's a major change for windows because it adds a bunch of files that aren't part of the original installation. I installed it on my machine here and see no difference with anything. Having said that (or should I say having wrote that?), is it really worth having this file? I see no advantages and see no other improvements. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

@Outatouch - The included directions say to place the WMP10 installer in a folder other than the HF folder. An example listing for w2k is included in the help file. For starters, and on first glance at your HF list, WMP10, dxsdk, dxwebsetup, hmtcdwizard_enu.exe are all NOT supposed to be there. I attached a filelist of what I have in my HF folder for XP. This makes hfnetchk and the MS baseline analyzer happy. Hope this helps you out.

I'll be out of town for work related business for a couple of days (and I'm not in the computer business either). Please hold on to your shorts for a new and improved version of HFSLIP once I get back. It may look the same on the cover, but the inner workings were vastly improved to include hidden features that nobody else has.

Oops... Severe problem.

Dutch version of Windows 2000.

When going to My Network Places > Computers Near Me, a script error dialog shows, referencing E:\WINNT\Web\default.htt. When clicking No, another script error dialog comes up. After clicking No on that one too, the computers in the workgroup show but the left pane is blank (no "Computers near me" title and no background image).

I'm going to try to figure out if I did something wrong but I thought I'd post it just in case you'd have an idea what could be causing this...

Edit...

I just did a manual install (Windows 2000 SP4 Dutch / IE6SP1 / DX9c / chipset drivers / my slipstreamed JRE, .NET and Acrobat Reader / all hotfixes except WMP9 update / WMP9 & WMP9 update). The above problem isn't there anymore. I'm now going to remake the Total Slipstream-- maybe with "less stuff".

Edited by Tomcat76

I get an error during the slipstreaming process:

Microsoft Data Access Components KB870699
Command line option syntax error

I have to click OK to continue. I have the newest MDAC 2.8 SP1 german, but no file called KB870699 nor is it listed as necessary hotfix.

German versions of MDAC uses dasetup instead of dahotfix. Maybe that's the problem.

Thanks TommyP :w00t:

I'm sure that list will help me out!!!

for WMP10setup:

*Setup Part 6* (Optional) Installing Programs with a /Q:A /R:N Silent Switch

Place file into SVPK_SW folder. Filenames must have 8.3 formatting

W2K only - WMP9 Installer (optional)

Place the WMP9 series installer here (MPSetup.exe)

I saw the "W2K only" so I didn't catch that part. :blushing:

*Setup Part 7* (Optional) Installing Self Extracting Silent Switchless Installers/Programs/Regedits/INFs/CMDs

Place file into SVPK_NO_SW folder. Filenames must have 8.3 formatting

- QUESTION?: would these be the /Q /O /N /Z types that go into SVPK_NO_SW or do they belong in the SVP_SW FOLDER as well ????

As you can tell I'm just now learning about this stuff so let me say THANK YOU ALL in advance for your patience with me and again for your help.

there is one audio architecture: AC97, and another: Universal Audio Architecture (UAA)

uaa seems to be important for HD-audio ...

AC97 will not be supported in windows vista

i dont know if this update gives us any improvements for windows xp, and i dont know if this update is necessary to watch hd-dvds or hd-audio stuff ... i just dont know ;-)

i guess for now, it is not necessary

I have a German version of W2K and can't get IE6 SP1 nor DX90c integrated (german, too). I even re-downloaded IE from Microsoft and followed the instructions, but no luck. Can anybody help me?

Is there a way to see what version of IE is integrated in the source without installing W2K?

@kukris - please post these for tommyp when he gets back

your [DRIVE]:\HFSLIP\SOURCE\i386\prodspec.ini

the filename of any of your Type 1 hotfixes

whether or not your win2k already has sp4 slipstreamed

There is a new version coming that will change folder structure a little bit. you might want to wait until it's released, because you might have a little better luck with it. it will be up by week's end.

@outatouch - your q's will be answered in the documentation for the next version. we'll be making this whole 'unattended install' thing a bit clearer.

@all - we're going to need a "situation tester" for the next version. it won't be beta testing since you wouldn't be working with beta software, but with the current release.

what we'd like to know for purposes of documentation is "what happens when you try to install an HFSLIP'ped Windows from DOS?" I'd like to know about:

Windows 2000 with slipstreamed dx9

Windows 2000 with slipstreamed ie6

Windows 2000 with slipstreamed dx9 and ie6

This is a "be ready for me to ask" post -- there is no need to reply. When the next version is released, I'll post again asking this.

Getting closer. The problem I'm having with the Dutch version of Windows 2000 is related to the hotfixes, or at least the "handling" of them by the TS program.

These I can include for sure:

- Windows Media Player 9 hotfix

- Windows Installer 3.1

- Windows Update Agent 2.0

This I certainly cannot include:

- Windows 2000 Post-SP4 Rollup

I made a test version which includes all hotfixes except the Rollup, but the beforementioned problem with "Computers Near Me" reappears then. This means that at least one of the other "real" hotfixes is "mistreated" as well.

Note that when I install the hotfixes manually one by one, no problems arise so they aren't corrupted.

I'm now going to make another CD which includes the three hotfixes that DO work, plus rootsupd.exe and scriptnl.exe.

No issues with the additional stuff: XP boot files, IE6SP1, DX9 and silent installers (Reader 7.0.3, JRE 1.5.0_04, WMP9 and Messenger 7).

I don't know if this is related, but, somewhere near the end of the TS operation, I see four or five instances of "File not found", and once the text "Toegang geweigerd" (Access denied). This all goes too fast for me so I can't say which files are responsible for this.

Edited by Tomcat76

@outatouch - your q's will be answered in the documentation for the next version. we'll be making this whole 'unattended install' thing a bit clearer.

@ FDV Thanks for the reply. If you would like, I would be happy to look over the documentation before final release and maybe point out anything that doesn't seem clear for someone on my level. This might help reduce the number of questions posted and enable more people to use this GREAT TOOL.

In any case I'll still ask questions. If anything it might help encourage other newbies like me.

I did another run using TommyP's list of hotfixes. The only thing that came up that I have a question on is: during finalizing the instalation a box poped up saying "cannot copy file: empty.txt" I selected "continue without it"

Doesn't seem like much of a big deal except that it interupts an unattended instal (which I ran on my slow VirtualPC before going to bed)

Anyone seen this b4?

Here is my prodspec.ini:

[SMS Inventory Identification]
Version=1.0

[Product Specification]
Product=Windows 2000 Professional

Version=5.0
Localization=German
ServicePackNumber=0
BitVersion=40
[Version]
DriverVer=12/07/1999,5.00.2195.1

Name of a hotfix:

Windows2000-KB329115-x86-Deu.exe

I have SP4 slipstreamed.

To round things up...

Adding rootsupd.exe and scriptnl.exe went great. I even added silent installers for Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003 and Powerpoint 2003 to see if it couldn't be some sort of "size issue". So it's just the Windows 2000 and IE6/OE6 hotfixes that act up.

I'll wait for the next release before I start adding back the hotfixes one by one...

@fdv: I think the file to edit to get rid of languages you don't want is INTL.INF, which is a truly long and monstrous .INF file.

These are the instructions included in the INTL.INF file with my comments like this ??COMMENT??

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;

; HOW TO USE THIS FILE

;

; To install or remove a language group,

;

; 1) Invoke the section whose name is LG_INSTALL_#, where # is the number

; of the language group. The language group number can be determined

; from the LCID by looking in the [Locales] section. The language groups

; are listed in the [LanguageGroups] section.

;

; To change system default locale,

;

; 1) Invoke the section whose name is the LCID of the locale to change to.

; 2) Look in the [Locales] section to determine the matching OEM code page.

; 3) Invoke the section whose name is [Font.CP<oemcp>.Files.<fontsize>

; where <fontsize> is 96 for small fonts or 120 for large ones.

??What is LCID and how do I invoke it??

;

; Your code must also perform any non-registry manipulations that may be

; necessary, such as SetLocaleInfo() calls, etc. They are not done here.

??FDV, what does this mean??

;

; To just change to large or small fonts, do step 3 only.

;

; NOTE: You must install the language group before setting a system default

; locale. Only the locales in installed language groups will show up as options

; for setting the system default locale.

;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Edited by saugatak

Updated to a new version that supports Windows 2003, new folder structure is implemented, less folders required, WGA added, assorted fixes implemented, and now all installations are now localized.

As usual, thanks for the feedback and have fun.

TommyP

Edited by tommyp