HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Tomcat76 - Can you narrow down what the problem is with the "computers by me issue?" This issue doesn't come up with English, so I'll have to ask you for some help. Can you access your network without going to the "computers by me" icon (without any error windows)? Does this issue happen with your non-hfslipped sources? Are you using your localized version of IE? BTW, as Bilou pointed out a few days back, in reference to the MDAC update, it is included with the rollup. You can verify this by extracting that mdac update that microsoft recommends and checking file versions/dates. All is the same. The only thing WU wants is a simple regedit that says that it is installed. You can always use HFNETCHK or the microsoft baseline analyzer to confirm.

Hi all,

Quick question:

In the Online Instructions at http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html in Step 8 there is a cryptic point made regarding adding two files to the FIX dir to enable WU to recognise that SP4 Rollup 1 is installed.....the point made is:

5. WU will be happy

6. Your computer won't be happy. Enjoy your broken computer.

Could anyone please explain exactly what this means?

cheers

@ TommyP / FDV:

At the end of step 8, you (vagely) explain the reasons for putting in NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR in the FIX folder. While a faster boot is a nice side effect, the main reason is the fact that you can install Windows 2000 after installing Windows XP. If you do this with the original Win2K files, you'll have to mess around a bit to get XP back up and running as the 2K bootloader can't handle XP.

Edited by Tomcat76

@tomcat76 ...who this revision is unoffically named after? :P:D i want a screencap of your script error. in png. you can email it to me if you like (click on my username to get the email addy). do you still get it when you turn off web views? script errors can happen with HTML or shell files trying to decode an .HTT file (webview files, normally hidden). i want to see if it's one of those.

btw: thanks for that info on the xp files. didn't know that, thought it was only a bootup speed issue.

@mudpit - in other words, what tommyp is saying is that it's a tradeoff. you either:

1. let HFSLIP use the SP4 bug free versions of the HAL and SCSI files and take a risk that Windows Update might report that the entire Rollup is not applied, or

2. or use the new, buggy versions of these two files from MS' rollup and have Windows Update report that everything's fine and there is nothing to install.

truth be told, we need to figure out if Windows Update would indeed give this as a recommended update. i have the original rollup files because i'm lazy and when i go to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com i don't get the rollup as recommended. but because the new windows update uses file scanning, we can't be sure if this situation may change at some point.

All - two things.

one, some of you have PM's from me about individual issues. Be sure to check your MSFN inbox for those!

two, and this is a serious question, why is it that in the unattended forum, folks don't really seem to be too interested in HFSLIP? I'm trying to avoid doing a "competition" thing, but am seriously wondering. I mean, slipstreaming and renaming and switches and all that modding by hand... Why? The potential for getting things wrong is huge, and once you've done it once, you "get" it... Just curious.

Edited by fdv

Tomcat76 - Can you narrow down what the problem is with the "computers by me issue?" (...) Can you access your network without going to the "computers by me" icon (without any error windows)?
I'm not a "trained debugger" so this is all I can give...

For the sake of thoroughness, I'll be talking about "Microsoft Windows Network" instead of "Computers Near Me": My Network Places > Entire network. On the left, click the link to show the full content of the network. Then you see the "Microsoft Windows Network" icon.

Double-clicking "Microsoft Windows Network" gives me these two errors:

Line: 3

Character: 1

Error: Illegal character

Code: 0

URL: file://D:\WINNT\Web\default.htt

Line: 55

Character: 13

Error: Object expected

Left-clicking a workgroup name:

Double-clicking a workgroup name:

Left-clicking a computer in the network:

Double-clicking a computer in the network:

Left-clicking a shared folder on a computer:

Line: 65

Character: 9

Error: 'gTimer' is not defined

The same happens with a Run prompt.

Accessing shared folders and navigating into their subfolders is not a problem, so I can access, eg, "\\remote-comp\shared-folder" directly without getting error messages, but not "\\remote-comp".

Does this issue happen with your non-hfslipped sources?
I never had this problem before, and everything is fine if I do a "partial" HFSLIP:

- add XP bootfiles to FIX

- add IE6SP1 and DX9 to "IESRC" / "HFCABS"

- add only rootsupd.exe, scriptnl.exe, WI 3.1, WMP9 update and WUA 2.0 to "HF"

For the rest, I can add as many programs as I like inside the SVPK folders.

The last (functional) slip source I made has all the remaining hotfixes called by a CMD inside "hotfixes.exe", located inside the no-switch folder. Like this, all is fine and Windows Update doesn't complain either. I also remove the Uninstall entries from Add/Remove Programs via a regedit but that's just cosmetics.

Are you using your localized version of IE?

Yes. I've downloaded the Dutch version and used the mentioned update path to get a fuller version (I'm not calling it "full" because you can only get that with the IEAK).

BTW, as Bilou pointed out a few days back, in reference to the MDAC update, it is included with the rollup. (...) The only thing WU wants is a simple regedit that says that it is installed.
OK. I'll try to figure it out. Is it the one in HKLM\...\Uninstall?

tomcat76, the problem is with webvw.dll.

try putting a SP4 version in the "FIX" folder. it will be copied absolutely last. somewhere in some hotfix MS issued for Dutch builds is a faulty version of this file.

or, i suppose, given time i could write a webview killer (my files do this but separating out webview would take a bit of time).

Thanks for the reply.

I have two installations running side by side (drives C and D). The one on the C: drive is one of the earlier "successes", with the five hotfixes inside HF but still without the hotfixes.exe file. I applied "hotfixes.exe" manually after installation. The D: drive is used for testing, and it holds a "bad" installation right now.

I did a search for "webvw.dll" on the C: drive, and four results came up; one in system32, one in dllcache, and two in two distribution folders. The first distribution folder appears to be for KB894320; the version of webvw.dll is 5.0.3900.7036 and is 1.07 MB (1 122 576 bytes) large. The other one is the Update Rollup, I believe, and there the version of webvw.dll is 5.0.3900.7009 and its size 1.06 MB (1 122 064 bytes). The ones in system32 and dllcache are version 7036.

Then I checked the D: drive. Only two results came up; one in system32 and another in dllcache. The version is 7036 and the size is what it should be.

Both systems appear to be using the same file, but I'm going to copy over the one from the C: drive onto the D: drive to see if it helps.

Edit:

It doesn't help. I'll try the FIX fix... :P

Edit #2:

I didn't try a new slipstream yet, but figured out I can get version 5.0.2920.0 (SP4) of the file working properly if I unregister/reregister it first. Versions 5.0.3900.7009 (Rollup 1) and 5.0.3900.7036 (KB894320) just don't work. It's like the system will only accept the SP4 version...

Edited by Tomcat76

@fdv

Regarding this:

XML 4 (optional)

1. In order for the MSXML msi installer to work, download the MSICabExtract file. Unzip the file and put the MSICabExtract.exe and MSICabExtract.txt files into D:\HFSLIP\MSIEXT

2. Now extract msxmlcab.exe from the MSXML4 package and put it in HF. (Note that MSXML3 is part of the W2K Post SP4 Rollup).

I am not sure what you mean:

It is clear to me that msxmlcab.exe should be in HF.

However, I am not sure what to do with the msi installer... Do I need it also? If yes, where do I have to put it? If no, why not download directly msxmlcab.exe instead of downloading the msi and extracting the exe from it?

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

why is it that in the unattended forum, folks don't really seem to be too interested in HFSLIP? I'm doing a "competition" thing, but am seriously wondering. I mean, slipstreaming and renaming and switches and all that modding by hand... Why? The potential for getting things wrong is huge, and once you've done it once, you "get" it... Just curious.

I started there and somehow wound up here (don't remember exactly how though). The first post of this thread promises much. I'm sort of a perfectionist about this and if I'm going to bother to do it and take the time to learn how I want it to be done right and with the best result. Thats just me. I read this entire thread and I'd bet that it is pretty intimidating to most people. The majority is above my head. I'm not afraid to mess w/ my registry as long as I have a guide ie a good set of instructions. Also I'm not a bit afraid to turn my puter into a toaster in the process of learning. Thus my desire for a better faster install lol.

I'm hoping my willingness to jump in there with silly newbie questions will encourage others to join us.

Where can I edit the name with which Windows Media Player 9 is represented in Add/Remove Programs?

I have a registry file inside "zPOST.exe". All registry tweaks are executed properly except the one for WMP9...

@Outtatouch - Welcome to the thread. Ask as many questions as you like, well, as long as they aren't about the meaning of life. HAHA. The last iteration of HFSLIP was really to help out the international folks mainly, but now it also automatically generates some key things during the slipstreaming process that no other slipstreaming utilities do. A side benefit of the latest change is less folders, easier instructions and less things for the user to do. If you are running English versions of Windows, your installation will go smoothly. Most of the info on the thread lately is troubleshooting of non-english issues (which I cannot do).

@Tomcat76 - Thanks for doing your troubleshooting. An idea if you feel up to it, if webview.dll is giving you trouble, remove the 894320 hotfix from the HF folder and you should be OK. The only thing the 894320 fix has is the webvw.dll anyway. But if you *really* need to make WU happy, extract webvw.dll from the rollup and place webvw.dll (renamed to webvw.dl_ into the FIX folder), just as FDV suggests. Honestly, I prefer a working system instead of a machine that makes WU happy. There IS a difference between the two as evidenced from what you discovered. Anyway, here's some info for your reg files, it's for W2K only.

WMP9:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WMP7]
"RequiresIESysFile"="4.70.0.1155"
"UninstallString"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\WINDOW~2\\setup_wm.exe /Uninstall"
"DisplayName"="Windows Media Player system update (9 Series)"
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\WINDOW~2\\wmplayer.exe"

Yesterday you asked about MDAC. WU is looking for this key to see if it's installed (running a source with HFSLIP automagically makes these changes into the registry):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\Q832483]
@=""
"Type"="Update"
"Installed By"=""
"Description"=""
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"InstalledDate"=
"InstalledBy"="System"
"ServicePack"=dword:00000001
"ProductVersion"="2.53.6200.1"

@Pene - HFSLIP was set up to just get barebones files to make a smaller installation source. The msxmlcab.exe file has all you need for MSXML4, no other files are needed for msxml4. As far as the msi extractor goes, I sent FDV an email clarifying that issue. The MSI extractor is ONLY needed if you want to slipstream the new version of windowsupdate.

@TommyP

Thanks for the reply.

About webvw.dll...

I've tried the three versions I have, and the "broken" installation (partition 2) will only accept the original SP4 version. The installation that works (partition 1) has no problems with either of the three versions. I could be wrong, but to me this means that the file is OK but some of the components (on the broken installation) that are calling it are messed up...

About WMP9...

That's exactly what I had -- at least the "DisplayName" part as that's the thing I wanted to change. It works when I do this manually when Windows is completely installed, but it doesn't work during the setup.

I used to have the registry changes for Adobe Reader execute right after Adobe Reader was installed, and the registry changes for the hotfixes right after the hotfixes were installed. All of these were ignored, so I decided to move all registry tweaks into one .REG file and wrap it in "zPOST.exe". As a result, the registry tweaks for Adobe Reader and the hotfixes finally get through, but not the one for WMP9. It's as if WMP9 is being installed after "zPOST.exe"...

About MDAC...

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Edited by Tomcat76

Updated to a new version that supports Windows 2003, new folder structure is implemented, less folders required, WGA added, assorted fixes implemented, and now all installations are now localized

As usual, thanks for the feedback and have fun.

TommyP

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup:P

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe isn't slipstreamed into the source in current version.

See here for solution (currently full support for Win2003, support for winXP except TXTSETUP.SIF/DOSNET.INF edit and DLL register, W2K not yet supported)

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Hi all,

First i want to thank u for your work on this script. :thumbup

I'm trying to make it work on portuguese-brazilian version of win2k.

I'm having the same errors in Microsoft Windows Network that Tomcat76 talked about. However it work putting the sp4 file in the FIX folder.

Here is my prodspec.ini

[SMS Inventory Identification]
Version=1.0

[Product Specification]
Product=Windows 2000 Professional

Version=5.0
Localization=Português (Brasil)
ServicePackNumber=0
BitVersion=40
[Version]
DriverVer=01/21/2000,5.00.2195.1

The files scripten.exe and scripten.cab in my language are:

scripptb.exe and scripptb.cab

Sample of a type 1 HF:

Windows2000-KB840987-x86-PTB.EXE

I really need make WU happy.

There is only one problem: OE6, it appers at recommended updates, like it was never been installed, so i install it, them the oe6 hotfixes shows up, install them too but the last one always want that u install it every time u reboot the system.

What i can do to make WU happy with OE6?

I was looking in the CMD file and u call script*.cab at ie6slipstream...could this be the problem?

None of these problems shows up in a normal installation.

The script is very useful, please don't stop working on it. :D

Sorry for my english, and thank u.

Edited by Ikky_Phoenix