HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

HFSLIP 50821 with Win2K Pro English and DX9 from DOS (past fixing the problem with "banana.ani")...

* couldn't copy "mpeg2data.ax"

* after reboot, the following message displayed (sentence structure from a 5-year-old left untouched):

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Edited by Tomcat76

@tomcat76 - thanks for the dx testing.

as for 894320, i'd recommend to everyone that web view should always be turned off. it's a file that forces explorer to open .htt files whenever it encounters them... not really something microsoft thought out. :wacko:

I'd switch off webview, unreg the file, delete it, and then delete the following keys:

HKCR,"TypeLib\{CD603FC0-1F11-11D1-9E88-00C04FDCAB92}"; webvw.dll decodes .htt files
HKCR,"Interface\{BCFD624C-705A-11D2-A2AF-00C04FC30871}"; Webview itself
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{BCFD624C-705A-11D2-A2AF-00C04FC30871}"
HKCR,"CLSID\{733AC4CB-F1A4-11d0-B951-00A0C90312E1}"; WebView MIME Filter
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{733AC4CB-F1A4-11d0-B951-00A0C90312E1}"
HKCR,"Interface\{21DCE770-ABD0-11D2-A32B-006097DF5BD4}"; Webview FTP
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{21DCE770-ABD0-11D2-A32B-006097DF5BD4}"

back up each key by exporting it to your desktop as a .REG if you really want to before deleting. it's Yet Another Instance of Microsoft Patching a Problem of Its Own Making.

That "left section" is part of the reason I find 2000 to be the prettiest OS ever made... XP Classic doesn't even come near it... :)

Win2K + IE6 = working fine from DOS.

Edited by Tomcat76

Win2K + DX9 + IE6 from DOS is "questionable". Setup continues, but mpeg2data.ax "cannot be found" -- not even after the reboot. I think this is because these bootdisks assign a fixed drive letter to the optical drives whereas Windows setup uses the next drive letter available. During the initial DOS portion of setup, the drive I'm installing from is "R:" but after the reboot (non-DOS) it's drive "E:".

During the last portion of setup, I'm told via an error dialog that mpeg2data.ax could not be found in WINNT\blahblah.

After that, another error message showed...

Title:

Windows - Driver Entry Point Not Found

Description:

The \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\MSKSSRV.sys device driver could not locate the entry point KsCacheMedium in driver ks.sys.

Using HFSLIP, I've had the latter error dialog twice before (today and about a week ago), although it then happened right after installing the drivers for my SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card. Note that I never had this error before I started using HFSLIP, and that it only happened with an HFSLIPped Windows 2000 Pro English; the Dutch and French versions seemed to be clean. I've never mentioned this before because I haven't been able to figure out the cause.

Edited by Tomcat76

The dx9 file (mpeg2data.ax) is a file extracted form one of the DX cabs. The prob I believe is that it doesn't have the conventional 8.3 filename. I had to make it an 8.3 filename during the copy stage, but is supposed to bring it back the "normal" way after. Perhaps someone knows how to fix it?

For the XP lovers, I tried emailing a few people that slipstreamed WMP10 and asked if I could use their script. Well, it was a few weeks and I heard nothing back. So I'll just generate my own. Now the question I have for this is this: how much of WMP10 do you want slipstreamed? All of it? Or just the barebones stuff? Preliminary tests are good so far, but I want to know how far to go. (DRM, removeable media, etc).

For the XP lovers, I tried emailing a few people that slipstreamed WMP10 and asked if I could use their script.  Well, it was a few weeks and I heard nothing back.  So I'll just generate my own.  Now the question I have for this is this: how much of WMP10 do you want slipstreamed?  All of it?  Or just the barebones stuff?  Preliminary tests are good so far, but I want to know how far to go.  (DRM, removeable media, etc).

Sounds Great TommyP. I wish I knew enough about it to give an answer.

It would be nice though to have all of the codecs merged in there. Not too many things more annoying than -->you do not have the proper codecs.... lol

I guess if wmp10 is big and bloated (there's a lot of stuff on it I've never used, much less even looked at) then just a functional integrated player for media playback. It's not like I'm gonna burn a cd with it! Media library - what the hell for? :wacko:

Edited by Outatouch

@tomcat76, thanks again for the testing, much appreciated.

@Outatouch, thanks for suggested edits to the process.

@all - i get lost sometimes on what i have to be working on. things in real life like work and hobbies etc make me occasionally forget to address an issue, so if i haven't gotten back to you about something, feel free to PM me. i am still working out an obscure outlook issue.

I would also like to add on a random note that I am listening to Achilles' Last Stand by Led Zeppelin. I have not heard this song in a loooong time, and I recommend it highly if you like LZ. This and Carouselambra are a heck of a combination while tooling with HFSLIP.

Edited by fdv

To TommyP:

Used hfslip, rev 081805 to slipstream XPPro(SP2) - German - hotfixes.

While installing got an copy error message: "Empty.txt" not found.

Edit: Text from setuperr.log:

H:\i386\Empty.txt wurde aufgrund folgenden Fehlers nicht nach C:\Programme\Movie Maker\Shared\Empty.txt kopiert:

English: H:\i386\Empty.txt was not copied to C: because of the following error ...

I tried 2 times making a (german) slipstreamed cd, 2 times the same error.

I took a look at the "Original" SP2 CD, Empy.txt is present in \386 folder, it seems it simply doesn´t get copied by script :blink: ?

Could you please take a look?

If this has been allready posted, sorry.

tripleX

Edited by tripleX

The dx9 file (mpeg2data.ax) is a file extracted form one of the DX cabs.  The prob I believe is that it doesn't have the conventional 8.3 filename.
I figured that, but, according to your guidelines, this problem should be fixed later on in the setup process. The second try right after the reboot and the third at the end of installation failed, though. I think the installation program "lost" the CD; it didn't even spin. I should've tested that by adding all the languages in but I forgot, and now I'm running out of time. I need to get this computer workable again because my clients are getting impatient (web design)...

@triplex - Thanks for the empty.txt issue. Will be corrected at the next revision.

@FDV - For listening pleasure, I recommend a Black Label Society album called Hangover Music. I liked it so much while crafting HFSLIP, I added Zakk Wylde's name in the script. HAHA.

050821--

Win2K Pro English + SP4 + IE6 + DX9 + hotfixes + LegitCheck...

Windows Update claims I need the following critical updates:

- MS02-009

- MS03-008 (KB814078)

- KB891861 (this is expected since I didn't apply the fix; I didn't have to do this for non-English versions of 2K so I thought you stopped fixing the SCSI problems)

MBSA 2.0 confirms the above.

Windows Update further offers "Visual Basic Scripting support" in the Recommended section, claiming that I need it to use Windows Update.....

Edited by Tomcat76

@tommyp,

A few minor issues:

I think there is a spelling mistake in the batch file at line 148... shouldn't the following be WORK?

148: DEL /Q WKRK\VERSION.TXT

Also, I got a few "Access is denied" errors (list below). I checked out why, and found out that these files are extracted from the hotfix as Read Only files... So in order to be able to erase them you should replace "DEL /Q" to "DEL /F /Q" at lines 574, 575, 576 of the script (/F switch allows deleting RO files). However, maybe it would be a good idea to add /F switch to all DEL commands, as who knows what other hotfixes contain read only files inside...

574: IF EXIST TEMP\ADVPACK.DLL DEL /Q TEMP\ADVPACK.DLL
D:\HFSLIP\TEMP\ADVPACK.DLL - Access is denied.

575: IF EXIST TEMP\W95INF16.DLL DEL /Q TEMP\W95INF16.DLL
D:\HFSLIP\TEMP\W95INF16.DLL - Access is denied.

576: IF EXIST TEMP\W95INF32.DLL DEL /Q TEMP\W95INF32.DLL
D:\HFSLIP\TEMP\W95INF32.DLL - Access is denied.

In addition I get lots of File not found (and its varients) errors, but i think that's OK. If you're interested in a full list, let me know.

Another minor issue - if legitcheck is slipstreamed, the TEMP directory isn't deleted at the end of slipstream. Replacing "RD /Q TEMP" to "RD /S /Q TEMP" at line 742 should solve this.

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

@TommyP

@Tomcat

- I also have the empty.txt issue come up with English version of XP. I made a post about it and no one else commented on it so I figured it was just me. I finnally decided to copy empty.txt from my SOURCE\i386 and put it in FIX and it solved the problem.

My HFSILIP\TEMP folder doesn't delete itself either

@Pene - Thanks for the suggestions. Very nice and thanks for finding that troublesome error. Will update at next release.

@Tomcat76 - For English versions, the updates are all listed at FDV's site. If in doubt PM me and I can furnish a list that I use. I'm not sure you did it or not, but you need the scripten.exe hotfix in the HF folder. The scripten fix has newer binaries than the vbs56nen one. Also, with all versions of the rollup, the scsi and hal binaries are NOT slipstreamed (the original sp4 ones are used).

Edited by tommyp