HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Don't know if this is relevant, but the TEMP folder didn't get deleted after the slipstreaming.

Another minor issue - if legitcheck is slipstreamed, the TEMP directory isn't deleted at the end of slipstream.

;)

I finished to read all 48 pages. :blink:

tommyp & FDV, I just want to say you two words :

"Bravo" & "Merci" :wub:

Edited by jpascal

I had a play around with hfslip, and found it most useful. Some comments.

Tweakui v 1.33 is for Win2k only. One should use v 2.1 for XP.

I installed it IE-less, and was generally impressed with the results. I am looking at some kind of add-on reg file that will allow IE to be installed afterwards. I have such a thing at home. Win2k install did not like the IE6 slipstream + fdv's files.

Might look at some kind of documentation / rexx script for making the assorted bits and peices addable in the slipstream [ie be able to include bitmaps etc].

W

I just tried to use Gnome's WMP10 Slipstreamer on my HFslipped i386...

Well, that went over like a fart in a diving helmet. :yes::lol:

It didn't get of the ground - said "report this bug" - and do you think it told me what the bug was????

Guess I'll be waitn for TommyP !!!!

Actually I will probably tinker with it a bit as soon as I can quit roflma :thumbup:w00t:

Edited by Outatouch

tommyp, there is a typo error in last line ;)

ECHO If you are getting issues that WindowsUpdate isn't happy, please download the 
echo HFNETCHK program, and run it with the commandline
echo HTNETCHK -V -F C:\WU.TXT

Edited by jpascal

Thanks, jpascal. I missed that line in Pene's post. :)

@Tomcat76 - For English versions, the updates are all listed at FDV's site.
I may have created an ISO image off the wrong SOURCESS folder. I started suspecting something when none of the registry tweaks had been executed, and "zPOST.exe" (which holds the registry tweaks) was nowhere to be found on the CD nor in the ISO. It's there in the SOURCESS folder, though.

Now that we're talking about "English versions of updates", I could maybe tell you that the French and Dutch versions require this additional update: Q828026. I'm only mentioning this in case it's caused by an error in your script.

Also, with all versions of the rollup,  the scsi and hal binaries are NOT slipstreamed (the original sp4 ones are used).
That's strange. I didn't put anything in the FIX folder for neither version of Windows 2000 I tested with, yet Windows Update only complained about a missing Rollup for the English version...

@mudpit - in other words, what tommyp is saying is that it's a tradeoff. you either:

1. let HFSLIP use the SP4 bug free versions of the HAL and SCSI files and take a risk that Windows Update might report that the entire Rollup is not applied, or

2. or use the new, buggy versions of these two files from MS' rollup and have Windows Update report that everything's fine and there is nothing to install.

truth be told, we need to figure out if Windows Update would indeed give this as a recommended update. i have the original rollup files because i'm lazy and when i go to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com i don't get the rollup as recommended. but because the new windows update uses file scanning, we can't be sure if this situation may change at some point.

Thanks FDV. I applied the FIXes to see what might happen and all seems fine except WU is still wanting to install the Rollup...!

BTW this is a fantastic utility

I've figured it out... I think.

I've been using version 5.6.0.6626 of scripten.exe, so I've downloaded it again from the link on the instructions page. That got me version 5.6.0.8825.

Will see if this works out better... :D

Edit: It does... :lol:

Edited by Tomcat76

HOLY $#!@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST SLIPSTREAMED WMP10 USING HFSLIP!!!!!

I tried using Gnomes wmp10slipstreamer (see my prev. post). I checked that fourum about the error. Others experienced the same problem (not w/ hfslip).

The advice give was to re-D/L both wmpSlipstreamer and WMP10. So I did that and I used a m$ link for WMP10 given on the thread.

I noticed that the icon was different than my previous wmp10 icon. The new icon was the type for the /Q:A /R:N Silent Switch.

So I said what the hell I'll give it a whirl.

I renamed the .exe to WMPXSetup.exe (for 8.3), put it in the HFSVPK_SW folder, ran it, installed on virtualPC and it WORKED !!!!!!! :thumbup B)

Here's the link I used to get the WMP10:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...d/download.aspx

Aww heck, maybe I only managed to install it. Just don't rain on my parade lol

Edited by Outatouch

Tweakui v 1.33 is for Win2k only. One should use v 2.1 for XP.

bleh. xp. i hate xp like the pope hates the devil. i'll look into making a slipstreamable tweakui like i did for 2k but for xp but i dunno.

I installed it IE-less, and was generally impressed with the results.
dang right you were! :P:P
I am looking at some kind of add-on reg file that will allow IE to be installed afterwards.  I have such a thing at home.

i would have built such a thing were it easy. the best thing to do - use my files but delete my IE.IN_ and tell us how it goes. it will probably install with ie intact, but i need someone to test that. as for installing ie after windows is installed, well, that doesn't go very well.

Win2k install did not like the IE6 slipstream + fdv's files.
hmmm. that's my current os right now. what's going on? i am running a slipstreamed ie6 + dx9c + all ie6 hotfixes. i have only one bug: when i go to "open source folder" in a search box, it does nothing at all. but that's the only thing.
Might look at some kind of documentation / rexx script for making the assorted bits and peices addable in the slipstream [ie be able to include bitmaps etc].

bitmaps? you mean thumbnails? bitmaps of .BMP icons and such? that's a few keys and a DLL, which is all buried in my notes. somewhere. if you really want bitmaps back i can find that if you want. you'll probably find it if you scan IE.IN_ for the keys that remove it, and TXTSETUP and LAYOUT for the DLL, it has the words THUMB in it. i think. i dunno it's been a looong time; i think i pulled that file out in my 2k SP3 fileset.

let me know what's going on with slipstreaming ie6 and using my files.

once again: no other infinite boot-loops here?

is it a problem of vm, of german w2k or is my source corrupted?

seems that <F8> and 'safe mode' (abgesicherter modus) helps, but why?

thanks...

edit: sorry for panic: same boot-problems also with naked w2k - sp4 without hfslip,

so it is not a hfslip-problem!

post-65051-1124862367_thumb.png

Edited by murvun

@jpascal - I can't believe you read all 48 pages. That's a ton of reading dude.

@Tomcat76 - I have the 828026 update in my HF folder. When you slipstream this, all the script does is slipstream wmp.dll and do some registry changes. If you install WMP9 afterward, the latest wmp.dll (the one from the 828026) remains.

@Outtatouch - WMP10 will be slipstreamed at the next release. It won't be a "full blown" version though. You'll have two options for doing WMP10 for XP. The sleek/streamlined version that is truly slipstreamed, or you can just install it via svcpack for a full blown version. The difference will be needless features such as USB stuff and a few skins. You'll need to do your own codecs afterward. If need be, I can put in codecs with hfslip at a later time.

@OS2fan - For reg tweaks for XP, you should take a look at the regtweakage program here. It may work with 2k as well, but I haven't verified it for both. I generate my own reg tweaks so I don't use the program.

@murvun - Have you tried installing your "source" to see if it's corrupt? Are you using a slipstreamed SP4 of W2K?

@mudpit - I'm sorry, but can you remind me of what language you are using? I can't be of much help without knowing what language you have.

Edited by tommyp

I have the 828026 update in my HF folder.  When you slipstream this, all the script does is slipstream wmp.dll and do some registry changes.  If you install WMP9 afterward, the latest wmp.dll (the one from the 828026) remains.
Not sure I understand this correctly, but I should've been clearer (and done some more testing). This is what I know:

Win2K Pro English without WMP9 --> no need for Q828026

Win2K Pro French with WMP9 --> Q828026 needed

Win2K Pro Dutch with WMP9 --> Q828026 needed

If WMP9 is really involved in this, then why are MS saying that the fix applies to all versions of WMP starting with 6.4? And if it really applies to WMP 6.4 too, then why am I not offered this hotfix for "Win2K Pro English without WMP9"? That's why I thought it was related to the language version of Windows...

Edited by Tomcat76

The tommyp + fdv package is great if you use dialup: you can intergrate things as you acquire them. Well done :)

@tommyp

I have regtweakage program, and thought it was missing some features it ought have. It does not handle "ParseAutoExec" in the startup section, which is useful to turn off if you are dual booting a DOS or Win9x session.

I made a reg file from this. I use a home-grown and a regtweakage reg file.

It doesn't handle a lot of international stuff, so i have a home-grown one for that.

@fdv

A handy way of booting to a cdrom, rather than by freedos, is to use bcdw. There is a boot diskette there that will start a cdrom, even when the bios does not support it. I installed NT4 on an old machine with one floppy using it.

There's a freedos disk running around with grub on it, so that works, too.

Also check out the "oldbios.exe" program at powerload: http://oldfiles.org.uk/powerload/bootdisk.htm

One of the three should work on even older machines, and on new ones, you don't have to fiddle the bios to get cd booting first: boot first with it in, once loaded, pop it out, and the second boot is from hard drive.

I am not over fussed on XP or 2k3 either, even though i tried both of them. They seem too clunky for my tastes.

I have a post-install rexx script or so, which allows you to reconfigure things like whether you want the throbbers (little animations in the top-right) running, and another one that rolls out reg-files to activate or deactivate the services in the style of blkviper. Windows runs a lot faster without throbbers, and you get more real-estate! You can't do it by a reg-file, though...., because it's a single bit in a long binary string...