Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HFSLIP (original thread)

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
733 replies to this topic

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
@FDV: On your web page you say the following re HelpExplorer

"HelpExplorer - For reading Help files. HTML Help and IE both use Windows' built-in HTML display functionality. Download HelpExplorer and extract DINO_D67_v1.01_demo. Find the BIN and GRC subdirectories and move them to C:\WINNT\ and then create a shortcut for helpexplorer.exe on your desktop. Then, associate help files with that binary. (If you have to ask how to associate a filetype with a certain program, please use Google. These kinds of fundamentals are not included in this guide). You could tinker with xCHM too."

Do you mean the "GRE" subdirectory, not the GRC subdirectory? I couldn't find a GRC subdirectory.

"To add Outlook and Address Book, open SYSSETUP.INF, find the [Infs.Always] section, and uncomment just MSOE50.INF."

Should the above be changed?

Also, I'd like to remove Wordpad. Should I just put a ; in front of the wordpad entries in LAYOUT and TXTSETUP?

Does anything need to be done with WORDPAD.INF to remove wordpad?

Finally, I use CrapCleaner which is free and a much better cleaning utility than what comes with Win2k. I think you should have a reference to it on your webpage of useful programs to add, www.ccleaner.com.

I want to remove the built in disk cleaner utility so I put ; in front of "cleanmgr.exe" in LAYOUT and TXTSETUP. Will that do it?

Edited by saugatak, 30 September 2005 - 03:57 PM.

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Trying to burn an ISO image of my HFSLIP Win2k so that I can run it in VMWare to test it out.

Nero won't let me burn an ISO image. I check "Make Bootable CD" option, I add the files in SOURCESS, and then try various save and burn options, but none of them let me save as an ISO as recommended by FDV.

Any suggestions?
Posted Image

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
@saugatak - thanks for the changes.
1. GRE vs GRC, yeah
2. Outlook instructions - changed
3. wordpad - yes, this is all you need for wordpad. as for the inf file, sometimes windows gets cranky if you don't at least have the inf file, that's why i used to change their contents instead. just comment it out in SYSOC. as long as its gone from SYSOC, nothing in the inf needs to be changed.
4. cleanmgr - yep, that's what you need to comment out to remove it.
5. nero - did you follow step 21? change your device prior to burnination, you should be all set

@pene -
1. ok about the MSI extractor and the msxml4 note, thanks.
2. without ie, windiz update (and probably windows update too) would suggest updates to ie, outlook, etc.

let me say that i have zero intention of tricking windows update to think that ie is installed. the os and office and other programs are tricked, update works totally differently. just in case anyone was going to ask :P

3. malicious software tool - don't know anything about it, couldn't tell ya. tommyp probably has the regvalue in his notes. i take it you want to extract the .REG and do it that way.
4. wga links updated, thanks

@oleg_II -
1. yeah i dont like WU either but some folks really want it so it would be an optional thing anyway.
2. WU now checks serial? i thought that was genuine advantage. and as for WGA, with my files, you might discover that you're never bothered about it. have you been?
3. if you delete all .CHM and .HLP like my sp4, be prepared to remove them from TXTSETUP and LAYOUT. otherwise windows will have a lot of files it says are missing. it wont really save you very much, and the effort deleting CHM and HLP in the setup files is huge.
4. a 'recipe' for creating outlook would just cause people great pain :} if folks want this, have a look around the 'net or wait until it pops up again

Edited by fdv, 02 October 2005 - 10:23 PM.

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

@FDV: This is that weirdo that you helped via email this morning :)

How can I add/remove windows *components* after removing IE? I am referring to the dialog box that is normally accessed by launching add/remove programs and then clicking on the "add/remove windows componenets" link over on the left hand side. This allows you to add/remove comonents such as dial-up networking, accessibility, games, screensavers, etc.

Would gurglemeyer's version of DirectX work with FDV/HFSLIP? I had some DX issues and I am considering trying Gurglemeyer's installer (just for DX).

Instead of deleting winnt.sif like we discussed, I am going to use the instructions I found at this page: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=202
Is there a better winnt.sif wizard? I found a few on the net, but am curious if you have any recommendations. I will rely heavily on http://unattended.ms...l/reference.htm.

Can you also provide instructions for burning the disc with a free burner such as CDBurnerXP? I tried to recreate your instructions using their help with it but had no luck. Something about the boot sector was wrong and I got errors. I don't want to buy Nero when there are free burners available :)

Thanks again!

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

@FDV: I am using your suggestion to follow the instructions at http://unattended.ms.../drivers/cd.htm to add drivers to my disc. I made a couple of adjustments to match the FDV/HFSLIP method:

Next copy the presetup.cmd and SETUP.EX_ file that you downloaded into the I386 directory in your Windows Setup Source.
I copied these files to FDVFILES instead

Now open TXTSETUP.SIF in Notepad, and seach for setup.exe = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0,,1,2
I used your TXTSETUP.SIF in FDVFILES and found that line, but it wasn't the same. Your file reads:
setup.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
so I changed it to:
setup.exe = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0,,1,2

I will install from this disc soon. Just wanted to contribute a bit...I'll let you know how it works out.

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

@FDV: Your website says:

September 26, 2005 (bug fix for fileset)

...what was the bug? What files changed? Do you keep a log of your updates?

Your instructions say to use D:/ but it doesn't seem to matter what drive is used. Could you add a note to your site that says whether or not D:\ is required?

Edited by TAiN, 02 October 2005 - 06:13 PM.

Oleg_II

Oleg_II

• PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
fdv
Sorry man, I was lucky not to be attached to my computer this weekend :) so I didn't try your AU.INF thing. If nothing happens I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm not sure about WU checking serial. You are probaly wright - it's genuine advantage. But I thought it may interfere somehow. Will try.

I'd like to help with removing .chm and .hlp files as well as other not needed files if you want. I've already looked at txtsetup.sif and know it will be a huge task (about 3 hundred files in my list). I can comment them or delete from txtsetup.sif and add to delfiles.txt. Let me know if you agree and I do this work.

Interesting info about cleanmgr. But there is something that makes shortcut for it in Start menu. There is still a few things that can be removed from Windows after using your set of files. If a forum about HFSLIP opens it would be great to have a thread for users who want remove some more components manually.

Edited by Oleg_II, 03 October 2005 - 04:40 AM.

Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts

If a forum about HFSLIP opens it would be great to have a thread for users who want remove some more components manually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or on the flip side, adding more components. I just slipstreamed a ton of codecs! It would be cool if the mods created a new forum for this. It's nice having a wmp free system and be able to play all types of files (excluding quicktime and real media because I hate them).

@TAiN - Can you please post your "error_report.txt" file. All the info I need to troubleshoot your problems is in that. All I can say for starters is to be sure that you have your source folder properly placed and named. Please post the error report and I'll get back to you. Also, there are two methods of installing DX9. One is slipstreamed and the other is svcpack'd. Instructions for both are on the top of this thread. The choice is yours on which way to go, both methods work great. I cannot say if Gurglemeyer's dx9 package works because I haven't tried it.

Edited by tommyp, 02 October 2005 - 04:24 PM.

Posted Image

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

@TommpP: I am having some problems so I opened up a DOS box and ran:

D:\HFSLIP>D:\HFSLIP\HFSLIP_50928.cmd > D:\HFSLIP\HFSLIP_50928_output.TXT

I attached the output file (HFSLIP_50928_output_trimmed.txt) to this post (with lot of the xx% progress indications trimmed out) along with a file (HFSLIP_50928_errors.txt) that contains some of the errors I saw. These errors scrolled by on the DOS box but did not get output to the file. I was not able to capture them all before they scrolled by but hopefully it helps.

The error_report is also included.

The attached output was run on source with some mods applied but I had very similar results with no mods (drivers, codecs, etc).

Any thoughts?

Outatouch

Outatouch

• 43 posts
@ saugatak
If you don't have the full version of Nero that might be the reason. I think I ran into that same issue because I only had the OEM version that came with my burner.
If you just want to create an iso image to test on a virtualPC I just used nLight for that. Just skip straight to the last step. Once I got my HFslip like I wanted it I upgraded my Nero and used the method on FDV's instructions to burn the CD.

Re NERO: I like things that are free just as much as the next guy but sometimes you get what you pay for. Or sometimes you just have to pay to play...

Outatouch

Outatouch

• 43 posts
I think a fourum with multiple subject threads would be a good idea. It should make this easier to read because it can be broken down into different threads: newbies, xp, 2000, 2003, program development, troubleshooting...

We are sort of all over the place right now. Our "thread" has enough twists and turns to knit a sweater! Reminds me of a "chatroom" with all different subjects bouncing around at the same time :lol: :wacko:

Is there someone we can e-mail polite requests to grant HFSLIP it's own fourum?
:thumbup

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
i think we are all agreed -- out of necessity, it's time for a new forum. this is getting insanely hard to follow :blink:

am emailing xper now... told him the details, he is considering i think (or, he's gone to bed, which i need to do muself)

@TAiN - adding / removing, this was hooked to MSHTML, so you need to use a program listed at step 9.
UnClean 2 - Because once IE is gone, you won't be able to uninstall programs.
MyUninstaller - Pretty much does the same thing as above, but GPL.

guglemeyer's unoffical sp5 has directx 7.1 in it right now. that you would get problems with dx9 is very odd. if you don't want dx9, just leave out that step. in other words, remove BDANT.cab and dxnt.cab from HFCABS.

winnt.sif - to let everyone know, what is in question here is getting back the windows partitioning and formatting menu for the drive. IIRC, deleting winnt.sif will get this menu back, as well as the "Press F6" message.

free cd burning packages - dunno, never supported them. nero does the sector count perfectly... it's like outatouch says, it's really a defacto requirement. i just dont have the time to work out the requirements for MKISOFS.EXE right now.

filecopy errors are common with HFSLIP. it does not mean something is wrong, it usually means junk is being discarded.

this driver integration guide you're using -- that "= 100" after the filename means it comes from windows xp, sp(1|2), so leave it as a "= 1". those instructions will work for win2k fine, or should, but it's little things like that that tell the user they wrote it with xp in mind.

i see "codecreg.reg" in the expert directory, and an inf file. reg and inf files should go elsewhere... guess! :D

lastly it does not matter what drive you use. the instructions just "Have about 3 gigs of working space (a large D: drive in my examples)."

Edited by fdv, 03 October 2005 - 01:03 AM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts
@TAiN - Are you running HFSLIP on a modified OS? It seems that fundamental DOS commands aren't functioning with your system, which in turn cause HFSLIP not to work. See if you have EXPAND.EXE in your system32 folder as HFSLIP calls out that one. If you have another PC laying around, try HFSLIP on that instead.

Also with your HFEXPERT files, you are putting old WMP codecs in there, and these will overwrite the WM10 codecs you slipstreamed. So be careful on what you do there. If a mod creates our own forum, I'll post directions on how to do the codec slipstreaming properly (which will be at your own risk obviously).

Edited by tommyp, 03 October 2005 - 04:27 AM.

Posted Image

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

@fdv: I am using MyUninstaller, but it doesn't give you access to add/remove windows *components*...I can't find any software to replace this functionality.

To fix the paritioning issue (to add the option to parition manually) I changed this in winnt.sif:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0

[Unattended]
ExtendOemPartition=1
FileSystem=*
Repartition=No

If I get CdBurnerXP working, would you like me to send you the instructions? It is free software and works quite well.

That other guide I was using for driver integration is *crap*. I found a better version of that method here: http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=12566

The .INFs in my HFEXPERT folder are codec installer .INFs...your STEP 15 said to put them in there...am I misinterpreting your instructions?

@TommyP: It turns out that I somehow had bad copies of XCOPY and EXPAND. Replaced them both with stock files and the process is going MUCH better now :)

Removed those codecs as well. I am using a stripped-down codec pack that I think I found in one of these MSFN forums (it is called coddecs1.7.rar) but the readme doesn't have any contact information in it. Anyway, it had some WMV codecs as well and I didn't think to deconflict that. Thanks for catching it!

ratba_tardly

ratba_tardly

• 22 posts
Okay, I have been to Fred and Tommy's site and gone through the guides to get an idea of what this is about. This thread is pretty daunting, however.

My question is this: can you give me the least difficult path to using one these techniques without having 2K, XP or 2K3 already installed? I can't seem to find a reason that one needs to be running them, but there is a statement to same in the first few lines. I would like to do a clean install.

See, I have never gotten past 98SE at home. I have used 98lite and thought that it would strip the crap out, but either MS code is just impervious to this sort of manipulation or the program was not quite as slick as it should be, or maybe I am just too non-technical about programming. I have a copy of 2K3 on the way, because I am sick of 98 not working, but I am not willing to go tra-la-la-ing down the yellow brick MS road either. I have used any and every browser but IE since 1996. Except at work, where I got a wrist slapped for running Opera off a data stick. Oooohhhhh....

To close, I think it is great that you all have come up with this and I have to admire Fred's candidness on the site. It makes me wonder why you all bother to run windoze at all.

Thanks for any input, rb

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
ratba_tardly, you need to run at least 2k in order to slipstream a SP into an OS.
or so i read everywhere i see. i had a method of doing it on nt4 but it's in my notes and i don't recall it off hand. also... um, not sure about how well the modern MAKECAB will run on 98, you gotta have that. AFAIK this has never been tried.

BTW, why a server OS?

BTW part 2, as for us running windows or linux, we'll leave that whole debate for slashdot :lol: as for why we don't run MacOS, well... dunno, actually. i coulda switched in 2002 or so when i was contemplating a platform switch. i started on a mac and used to make fun of PC users with their command line. then one day i saw someone drag a spreadhseet into a word document (this was 1993, on windows 3.1, with word 2.0 using object linking and embedding). the mac had nothing like it, so i switched to windows. i am now going to ramble pointlessly, so get ready.

okay then in 1995 i switched (or added, i should say) os/2. i really liked its stability but at the time, warp (borg) had an odd interface. to create a new folder, for example, you had to go to the launch pad and make it there and then move it where you wanted it. i then dual booted windows 95 and redhat linux (caldera, the horrors) and i lived with that until i decided nt4 was best for me in 1997. i loved nt 4. i knew some mac users and that platform still had a looooong way to go. i used nt4 right up until something ridiculous, like 2001 IIRC, when i got win2k.

Edited by fdv, 03 October 2005 - 10:41 PM.

ratba_tardly

ratba_tardly

• 22 posts
fdv,
Quite the history. I guess you have your experience on other systems to back your decision. I sort of wish I had stuck with OS/2 in 95. Granted it might not be workable anymore, but it felt a lot cleaner than windoze. I haven't had the stomach or time for Linux, beyond a cheap, diskette-install router.

Anyway, so how do make this as painless as possible? I am not looking forward to all nighters to get this going. There is no getting around installing the OS once as MS intended I assume.

Server OS because I saw it on sale, did some reading, and thought that maybe some of window-dressing crap that MS shovels into their consumer OS would be left out. And I have a small network in the house. And I love to tinker when the weather gets too chilly for drinking beer outdoors. Not that I should, but anyway...

rb

ratba_tardly

ratba_tardly

• 22 posts
So, re-reading the "methods" again...I could build the CD on any 2000 or XP system? I.e., muh haahhahaa, at work? While I am supposed to be actually productive? Well, that presents an easier challenge! All the updates are local, too. Please tell me that this is the way to go, I am done in ten days, and I would much rather j..k off than give another ounce of flesshhh...:sneaky:

rb

saugatak

saugatak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Ratba, TommyP and FDV are giving their time and expertise to make HFSLIP and the FDV files. I think you should be more polite to both of them, especially if you want them to help you out.
Posted Image

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
that's okay, no offense taken.

yes, you need to run hfslip on windows 2k+, at work. no you aint got no choice in this. do the USB key thing, everything can be done from there. ha, lying! i'm such a kidder. you'd need like a 3 gig USB memstick. transport it and run it on your employer's hard drive. then copy SOURCESS back onto the stick.

reminder to all, this is where to look to find my and TommyP's configurations for windows 2000.
http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#hf

@saugatak - pm me your email addy, i have a hard time sometimes connecting MSFN usernames with email addresses. i have a tip that will help you with ISO creation.

Edited by fdv, 05 October 2005 - 09:15 AM.

Kapo

Kapo

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
but the link for kb892130 doesn't work?

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts

Donator

@FDV: Can you please explain why these files are in FIX?:

The files in your FIX folder -
CLVSD.ax
CLVSD.AX_
mplayer2.in_
NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR
WINNT.SIF

...and shouldn't the .ax files be in the expert codecs folder?

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts

Donator

I thought I would try out this app, just to see how well it works etc. but I'm a little lost.

People on this board are talking about directories which don't exist by default.
Where is the documentation on those?

I have an MSI which I would like to add, but where do I put it?
I tried the HFSVPK directory, and it was added to the service pack folder, but it wasn't added to the svcpack.inf file. It therefore will not run!
The msi contains only a few files which I think will be installed to a certain location, and registered probably with registry settings added too. The msi suggests it was made with wise 3.51 installer if that helps any.

Is there a particular order in which the svcpack.inf entries are added?
I want an exe to be installed prior to the cmd file containing its tweaks etc.

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,111 posts
TAiN, those are TommyP's and I believe he had them there just as part of a test build he was making. I have corrected this list to what he told me he actually uses.

Yzöwl - see the first post.
documentation
http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html
http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html

Kapo - kb892130 is gone from microsoft's site because they replaced it with 898588.

Edited by fdv, 05 October 2005 - 10:27 AM.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts

Donator

The first page is for Windows 2000 sp5, I'm using it for XP

I have read http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html though! Those secret folders and including msi files are not explained.

HFSVPK does, when you run the slipstream, the contents of that folder are looked at and relevant entries are written to svcpack.inf, compressed to svcpack.in_ and added to I386.

<Edit>
From HFSLIP_50928.cmd:
FOR /F "USEBACKQ DELIMS==" %%I IN (`DIR /A-D /OGN /B HFSVPK\*.exe`) DO (
IF EXIST HFSVPK\%%I ECHO %%I>> SVCPACK.INF
)

FOR /F "USEBACKQ DELIMS==" %%I IN (`DIR /A-D /OGN /B HFSVPK\*.cmd`) DO (
	IF EXIST HFSVPK\%%I ECHO %%I>> SVCPACK.INF
	)
It is therefore only looking for exe and cmd files in that folder, so where do I put my inf reg vbs and msi files?
</Edit>

Edited by Yzöwl, 05 October 2005 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN