Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HFSLIP (original thread)

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
733 replies to this topic

Hirudin

Hirudin

• 23 posts
  • Joined 15-February 05
I'm back in the saddle again... :blushing:

I'll keep this short and concise...

I'd like windows update to recognize I've allready installed the hotfixes.
As I understand it I need to "register" the infs for the hotfixes. The INFs for the slipstreemed hotfixes are in the INFS folder.
To register an INF I need to execute this:
%systemroot%\System32\rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection [b]<filename>[/b].INF ,DefaultInstall

Is executing that command for each file all that is needed to register an INF?

Is there anything wrong with registering INFs like this?

I'd like to help if I can...
tommyp, you mentioned editing a portion of the INF and integrating that with the hive files.
The hive files are the registry right? So you want to automate the process of editing out the correct portion and injecting that into the registry. Am I close to being right here?

What part(s) of the INFs is/are the correct part(s)?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
Yep, that's how you install inf files via a commandline. In fact, you can also do a right click on them and click install. And yes, you can include the registry hives for the same updates too.

Yesterday I was working on another iteration of that cmd file. I wrote up a set of instructions on what's needed so it should help a bit, which will be included in that zip file. The nice part about this version is that you can run all the infs without typing in any commandlines. It even works for xp too!!!! I just have to check a few more things out before I post it.
Posted Image

Hirudin

Hirudin

• 23 posts
  • Joined 15-February 05
Sweet!

Can't wait to give it A whirl.

Bob_H001

Bob_H001
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 24-February 05
Couple of questions pls

Firstly I followed this and it's a great way of doing this install but despite adding in 2 "fix" files from the other site I still got a digital signature box displayed at install time to which I had to click yes to.

Secondly what's the easiest way to add in all the inf file information, when I right clicked and chose install I kept getting file errors (I need to double check this wasn't read errors on the CDs) and it didn't know where to install files from.

This is on 2000 pro btw.

Oh and thirdly there are 2 install files on the first post, what's the difference and which is the best to use for 2000 pro?

Oh and lastly :D can I use these for 2000 server?

Edit

Also the .inf files create several files from the same hotfix, the XP ones r obviously for XP but what is the difference in these and do I run all of them?

Q832483.EXE Q832483_252_DLvl.inf.INF
Q832483.EXE Q832483_252_Win2K.inf.INF
Q832483.EXE Q832483_252_Win2Kx.inf.INF

Electrician

Electrician

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 04-February 05
(Just started down this path...)
So you guys are saying this CMD file can integrate DirectX 9C without requiring
user interaction? I would swear I had tried the switches (QA & RN) before - and it didn't work. Though I do have the dx9ntopk (aka 9B) now.
<EDIT> Ok. Repack files with a modified setup.exe. Done! <TX Hirudin>

Also, MDAc ver 2.53 ?? Why not 2.8?

@tommyp
You saidIf you want to run windows2000, you need FDV's sfc and setupapi files

Where would this be? - ah geez, am I lame? fred (www.)vorck.com - didn't
make the connection before. Sorry.

Hirudin

Hirudin

• 23 posts
  • Joined 15-February 05

So you guys are saying this CMD file can integrate DirectX 9C without requiring
user interaction?  I would swear I had tried the switches (QA & RN) before - and it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure you need to "repack" your DirectX. I followed the instructions here and it works fine (dxdiag runs without errors).
If you use the above method you don't need any switches, you can edit them out of the cmd file or out of the SVCPACK.IN_(.cab) file after the script has run.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
Updated download. Refer to first post. Thanks for the suggestions/critiques.
Posted Image

Bilou_Gateux

Bilou_Gateux

Powered by Windows Embedded

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
@tommyp

I have downloaded your last slipstreamer_Feb25 archive.

After reading instructions.txt, i have noticed some errors:
ADD TO [OleControlDlls] SECTION
11,,wshcon.dll,R;SCRIPTEN HOTFIX
11,,msxml2.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml2r.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml3.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml3r.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml4.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml4a.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml4r.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES

msxml<version_number>a.dll and msxml<version_number>r.dll are resource only DLLs.
so the correct instruction is
ADD TO [OleControlDlls] SECTION
11,,wshcon.dll,R;SCRIPTEN HOTFIX
11,,msxml2.dll,R;Microsoft XML <version_number> parser 
11,,msxml3.dll,R;Microsoft XML <version_number> parser 
11,,msxml4.dll,R;Microsoft XML <version_number> parser

Next, register the DLL files you want to use.

a.  To register Msxml.dll, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

regsvr32 msxml.dll 
b.  To register Msxml2.dll, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

regsvr32 msxml2.dll 
c.  To register Msxml3.dll, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll 

Version list for the Microsoft XML parser

Note If MSXML4.0 is installed on a computer that is running Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition, the Msxml4a.dll file is installed. If the parser is installed on a computer that is running Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, the WinHTT5.dll file is installed.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux, 22 August 2005 - 02:01 AM.

OS Version = 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Platform ID = 2 (NT)
Service Pack = 3.0
Suite = 0x0140
Product Type = 1
Architecture = x86

Hirudin

Hirudin

• 23 posts
  • Joined 15-February 05
Thank you for the update! I think it'll make it a whole lot easier for people who just want to get it done without having to get a PhD in slipstreaming.

The nice part about this version is that you can run all the infs without typing in any commandlines.

Is this implemented in the new file (2/25)?

So the new cmd file will automatically patch your install files so that WU knows that you've already installed the hotfixes?

donjuan

donjuan

• 19 posts
  • Joined 18-February 05
Guys I really have a severe problem :(
The reason is that I'm trying to get the W2k cd done but I have a TURKISH version.And I exactly did what has to be done in TommyP's instructions.

The question is that after I install postsp.inf inf as mentioned, why does windows update still show up 32 hotfixes? I slipstreamed all the hotfixes and I resgister the inf file manually also after setup but still no luck.

Can someone please help me :}

I f I cant get it done, I think I'll use XpCreate from greenmachine but it is slow and lots of junk files...

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
DonJuan & Hirudin: About the windows installation showing uninstalled updates, please read the 8th line of the instructions. The only thing windowsupdate needs to be happy is a few worthless registry entries (which I don't plan on incorporating at this time). I have suggested a tool to be used to check for windows updates (which checks the actual version numbers of files).

Hirudin, If you follow the instructions, the inf file is automatically run during installation.

Bilou Gates: Thanks for the tips on the msxml registration codes.
Posted Image

Hirudin

Hirudin

• 23 posts
  • Joined 15-February 05
OK fine, thanks for pointing out line 8 on instructions.

Do we need to download "filecase" from somewhere? Does it say so in the instrctions anywhere? (line 14 maybe?)
C:\>filecase
'filecase' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

INFS directory
: WINDOWS2000
CALL :HF1
CALL :HF2
RD /S /Q INFS
:HF1
:HF1EXTRACT
FOR /F %%I IN (INF.TXT) DO COPY TEMP\UPDATE\%%I "INFS\%HF% %%I.INF"
:HF2
:HF2EXTRACT
FOR /F %%I IN (INF.TXT) DO COPY TEMP\%%I "INFS\%HF% %%I.INF"
I can't say for sure, but it looks like the script takes all the infs, renames them, and puts them into the INFS folder. Then does nothing with them and deletes them. Are they suppose-to be moved into the i386 folder or something?

Also
IF "%DOIE%"=="YES" COPY /Y FIX\*.IN_ SOURCESS\I386
IF "%DOIE%"=="YES" COPY /Y FIX\IESETUP.DL_ SOURCESS\I386
IF EXIST FIX COPY /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386
Looks like it copies specific files out of FIX, then copies everything.

If you ever look at this thread FDV, is there a chance you could tell us what postsp.inf does? Its got a lot of registry keys in there, what do they do?

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\winlogon,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\winlogon.exe;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"
;
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tapisrv,"Type",0x10021,0x20
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Security\Security,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\MsAuditE.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp2res.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\TermService,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\termsrv.exe;%SystemRoot%\System32\ntdll.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"
HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\winlogon,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\winlogon.exe;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"

Is this necessary?

Bilou_Gateux

Bilou_Gateux