how about putting a new task manger?

kurt476

The only freeware task manager I ever managed to find was Win9x/ME TaskManager by Coral Software. Its functionality is somewhat broken, and it does not always display correct CPU usage. TaskInfo2003 is an awesome task manager that blows away anything else Ive seen, but it is not free.

• 7 months later...

I use " Process Explorer " from Sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

"Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.

The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you’ll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you’ll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work.

Process Explorer works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Server 2003, and 64-bit versions of Windows for x64 processors.

"

WatcherSea

Unfortunately it does not show memory usage.

Apart from Taskinfo which is shareware I can't recall any serious free Task/Process manager candidate (PrcView, Current Process or Process Explorer) that displays memory use, but almost any resident memory manager (without which in my opinion no 9x system can be run satisfactorily) will display memory use in the tray.

PS : CoralSoft's Win9x/ME Task Manager (A free clone of Win 2000 Task Manager) does display memory use in the performance tab but is my opinion too poorly featured as it does not allow setting process priorities, it does not allow to view modules loaded by processes and it does not allow to dump any information to file.

Apart from Taskinfo which is shareware I can't recall any serious free Task/Process manager candidate (PrcView, Current Process or Process Explorer) that displays memory use, but almost any resident memory manager (without which in my opinion no 9x system can be run satisfactorily) will display memory use in the tray.

PS : CoralSoft's Win9x/ME Task Manager (A free clone of Win 2000 Task Manager) does display memory use in the performance tab but is my opinion too poorly featured as it does not allow setting process priorities, it does not allow to view modules loaded by processes and it does not allow to dump any information to file.

I have bought Performance 95 7 years ago and it displays memory usage for each process but it is not free - and also rather old now.

What do you mean by "resident memory manager"? I use none and had never problem with W98SE?

Petr

Hiya All,

I've checked out some of these apps, looking for a taskman replacement:

Coral's and (now defunct)Niresoft's are both unacceptable; Coral's is apparently unfinished, and Niresoft's causes system slowdown and instability! Process explorer is OK but doesn't show mem. usage + other details NT users are used to seeing...it seems either process explorer or the default taskman are the only acceptable "free" options..IMHO.

:)

That's the main problem of all free task managers - it's impossible to get memory usage without writing a low level driver. I remember MS WinTop PowerToy did it well.

If I'll rewrite my taskmanager I'll use WinTop driver functionality.

I think youre right about the coralsoft task manager. I used it for a while, but I was never happy with it. Have you tried Cool Beans task manger? It also works on 2k/xp like taskinfo does. It has a good bit of extra functionality over the stock 2k/xp task manangers as well. The only thing Im not sure about it setting priorities under 98. I would say it is stands out as the best of the freeware taskmanagers that will run on 98.

What do you mean by "resident memory manager"? I use none and had never problem with W98SE?

I am using Ram Idle as a background task, it monitors the amount of free physical memory, dispay its value in the tray and autofrees (optional) some of it when it becomes too low as Windows does not seem to do it by itself. If I do not use this tool free memory can easily reach 0 and the system then becomes unstable. It is a well known problem isn'it ? Or have I missed something ? Sure it is not necessary to have a resident one but I am sure you are sometimes using one tool or another to free unused physical memory.

Have you tried Cool Beans task manger?

I've just installed it. It's nice but it's not exactly my cup of tea. If only because it always floats on the screen (No send to tray or minimize option apparently) and uses around 8-10 % each of the resources (GDI, User, System) which is a lot.