nvidia forceware 66.93 in an archive (reduce size)

prathapml

This time, nvidia has really gone idiotic.

They have compressed the files that are part of the driver. This is useful if you keep the drivers on HDD without further compressing it. But when you compress your entire driver set (which might include nForce, ATi, intel, etc drivers) once again, you see that this foolishness by nvidia increases your driver archive's total size by 5 MB. The reason is, that the nVidia files ended up having double compression.

This is how I fixed it:

1. Download v66.93 drivers (US English) from nVidia driver download.

2. Extract it into a folder.

3. Either observe what the below code does, and do it yourself (recommended)

--OR--

a. copy/paste the below code into notepad.

TITLE nVidia 66.93 driver cleanup
@echo off

ECHO undoing the idiotic compression
PAUSE
md expanded
expand *.*_ expanded
del /Q *.*_
cd expanded
ren *.dl_ *.dll
ren *.tv_ *.tvp
ren *.sy_ *.sys
ren *.ex_ *.exe
ren *.cf_ *.cfg
ren *.hl_ *.hlp
ren *.cp_ *.cpl
ren *.xm_ *.xml
move /Y *.* ..
cd ..
rd expanded
ECHO deleting useless setup utility
del setup.skin
del setup.iss
del setup.inx
del setup.ini
del setup.ibt
del setup.exe
del setup.bmp
del layout.bin
del engine32.cab
del data2.cab
del data1.cab
del data1.hdr

b. Save in the folder where you extracted the driver, as "reduce-size.cmd".

c. Double-click on it to run it.

d. I can only confirm that the above code will run properly on winxp (you might need to modify the code for other OSes).

4. The files that are Setup files will be deleted by using above code (because you know that you will use the OEMpnpDriversPath method which is satisfied enough with the INFs and driver files).

5. At the end of the process, you should have a total of 42 files occupying 24.5 MB (none of them compressed).

6. Now compress the same thing (as a collective set of drivers) and you'll be surprised to see total size reduced!

Since I did the above for myself, I thought more people would be interested in the same. So enjoy! Please reply in the thread, if you found this useful. :)

You can actually use this idea for other drivers as well, which use a pattern of *.DL_ (for example) in its files. That way, when you finally compress it, the end result is a smaller archive.

ATTENTION:

Bashrat the Sneaky, please do not forget to do this method, if your next video driverpack is going to contain nVidia drivers of v66.93 or higher.

Little question kinda off topic ...

About nVidia drivers, i'd like to gain some space in the chipset utility. In \Ethernet\NAM, there's a setup.exe which takes 26 MB. I don't know exactly what it is but it doesn't seem to be drivers. Can i remove it and run the setup utility safely ? I have nVidia hardware here to check. Thanks.

What if I want to keep the setup for un-attended install? Just keep the setup stuff right?
Nope. Dump the setup stuff. That's needed only for a manual install (which too can directly be done thru INF selection if you aren't n00b).

Delete the setup stuff, and just continue your normal method (the "OEMpnpDriversPath=" method).

@Lucius Snow

That NRM folder can be deleted. That is the configuration folder for the integrated ethernet chip in nForce3-based MoBos (those are 64-bit boards). If you're having an nForce2 board (like me), that folder is positively a waste of space.

I've just tried OCedHrt's inf.exe tool on the 66.93 folder and only get 13 (14 if I add the other inf) files in the folder. This only comes to 9.11 MB (9,560,471 bytes), does anyone know if the list is complete for install or not.

NV4_DISP.CAT

nv4_disp.dl_

nv4_disp.inf

nv4_mini.sy_

nv4disp2.inf

nvcod.dl_

nvcpl.dl_

nvcpl.hl_

nvmctray.dl_

nvnt4cpl.dl_

nvoglnt.dl_

nvsvc32.ex_

nvwcplen.hl_

nvwddi.dl_

The reason I ask is because unfortunately, this was the only driver folder I had, upon which the tool worked, but it is less than half the original size.

will this install the control panels?
Yes, it will install the nVidia Control Panel, without needing the setup files.

the "OEMpnpDriversPath=" method is the one you should use, to get your drivers detected by windows. (details here - http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/drivers.htm

Hoping that helps....

@Yzöwl

Something surely wrong there. You must get 42 files remaining after clean-up (all the below files are essential). For your benefit, here's an output of the folder's file names:

gfx-driver
\---nVidia
Folder PATH listing-

advanced.tvp
   aliagp.sys
   cad.tvp
   dcc.tvp
   default.tvp
   finance.tvp
   hpqvdisp.dll
   keystone.exe
   modes.txt
   nv4disp2.inf
   nv4_disp.cat
   nv4_disp.dll
   nv4_disp.inf
   nv4_mini.sys
   nvappbar.exe
   nvapps.xml
   nvcod.dll
   nvcpl.dll
   nvcpl.hlp
   nvdccapp.cfg
   NVDisp.nvu
   nvdspsch.exe
   nvgfx.dll
   nvids.cfg
   nview.dll
   nviewx.dll
   nvmctray.dll
   nvnt4cpl.dll
   nvoglnt.dll
   nvshell.dll
   nvsvc32.exe
   nvsysrot.dll
   nvtsext.dll
   nvtuicpl.cpl
   nvudisp.exe
   nvwcplen.hlp
   nvwddi.dll
   nvwdmcpl.dll
   nvwimg.dll
   nvwsapps.cfg
   nwiz.exe
   Readme.txt

No subfolders exist

I guess you can delete the Readme.txt as well :)
Yes. But I keep it simply because 2 KB of useful info was good to have. :)

<Modes.txt> and <nvapps.xml> ? No, those are needed files. Deleting them will cause problems in the driver's control panel.

@Lucius Snow

Well, I haven't created any tool of the sort you say. Its just a batch-file that I posted, so that you'd get an idea of what needs to be done by seeing it. I think the batch-file would work with international driver as well (but I'm not sure, please test and tell me). Even if the batch-file was not working fine with international version, what you can do is to manually do what those commands do, by yourself.

You're right - using the US English version of driver, on non-English OS *WILL* give trouble.

@Lucius Snow

Well, I haven't created any tool of the sort you say. Its just a batch-file that I posted, so that you'd get an idea of what needs to be done by seeing it. I think the batch-file would work with international driver as well (but I'm not sure, please test and tell me). Even if the batch-file was not working fine with international version, what you can do is to manually do what those commands do, by yourself.

You're right - using the US English version of driver, on non-English OS *WILL* give trouble.

Alright. I'll post you the results once i test my CD on a PC with a nVidia videocard. Cheers :)

@Yzöwl

Something surely wrong there. You must get 42 files remaining after clean-up (all the below files are essential). For your benefit, here's an output of the folder's file names:

gfx-driver
\---nVidia
Folder PATH listing-

advanced.tvp
   aliagp.sys
   cad.tvp
   dcc.tvp
   default.tvp
   finance.tvp
   hpqvdisp.dll
   keystone.exe
   modes.txt
   nv4disp2.inf
   nv4_disp.cat
   nv4_disp.dll
   nv4_disp.inf
   nv4_mini.sys
   nvappbar.exe
   nvapps.xml
   nvcod.dll
   nvcpl.dll
   nvcpl.hlp
   nvdccapp.cfg
   NVDisp.nvu
   nvdspsch.exe
   nvgfx.dll
   nvids.cfg
   nview.dll
   nviewx.dll
   nvmctray.dll
   nvnt4cpl.dll
   nvoglnt.dll
   nvshell.dll
   nvsvc32.exe
   nvsysrot.dll
   nvtsext.dll
   nvtuicpl.cpl
   nvudisp.exe
   nvwcplen.hlp
   nvwddi.dll
   nvwdmcpl.dll
   nvwimg.dll
   nvwsapps.cfg
   nwiz.exe
   Readme.txt

No subfolders exist

Thanks for the confirmation, unfortunately the tool I tested works, but it doesn't obviously do a thorough enough job.

It only checks the [sourceDisksFiles] section of the inf and copies out the files in that section.

Looking through the both infs, I have verified that these are the only files mentioned

NV4_DISP.CAT
nv4_disp.dll
nv4_mini.sys
nvcod.dll
nvcpl.dll
nvcpl.hlp
nvmctray.dll
nvnt4cpl.dll
nvoglnt.dll
nvsvc32.exe
nvwcplen.hlp
nvwddi.dll