SESSIONNAME=Console

SystemDrive=C:

SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS

TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp

TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp

USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

windir=C:\WINDOWS

reason being?

I can see Astalavista's suggestion being useful for scripting purposes, but I think that level of detail is going a bit overboard. Certainly the guide should refernce the most commonly used ones (systemdrive, userprofile, windir, etc...), but I don't think a complete listing is required. Maybe include a note referencing the set command and how it can be used to get a list of available system variables.

Hmmm ok here goes,

Its nice having examples of each program like you have now, where you can select the program and view how to install it silently.

But for updating purpouses, and to force people to do more for themselves - would it maybe be a good idea to do it this way:

Tell the reader to try and findout which installer the app he wants to use uses, then tell them to find out the switches to this installer:

Wise installer:

• /s Silently installs
  • Blah

And then have a link to USSF.exe which is a very helpfull tool.

The reason I would think this would be a good way of doing the Appinstall section is because some programes, like kerio are outdated on the site and dont use the same method anymore, and ive only just found out about the installer information and the USSF today. Most programs I feel are straight forward and use switches and I could have done myself with the USSF tool and list of switches each installer uses.

The only exception would be Firefox + extensions (thanks to Simonsays and Astalavista btw ;) and nero.

Anyway thats just my 2p, I do think the guide is brilliantly wrote though - certainly easy to understand but alot of info to intake.

in regards to the apps section, there WILL be a database in operation at the time of update. Finishing touches and backend work of the scripts should be done either today or tomorrow. the Database as of now, will be for App Switches, Regtweaks, and the FAQ section (it's easier then editing the page everytime). Perhaps in the future and with the approval of xper, I'll port the entire thing to the Database (will make adding pages easier as the form is just like the forum one :P )

As for the lables...

I guess I could mention it on the the finishing screen (where they actually make the ISO).

OK i'm making my own UnAttended disk ATM, what i have found thru using WinRar to make SFX files is that you need to pause the install using sleep.exe after making a Winrar SFX file otherwise whatever comes after that SFX file may not install as desired or at all, i Currently install as follows

FireFox (SFX)

Sleep 10

Thunderbird (SFX)

Sleep 10

Java RE

WinRar

Without the Sleep between FF and TB i never had TB installed until i used the sleep.

just a little note, sorry if this has already been mentioned

P388l3s

OK i'm making my own UnAttended disk ATM, what i have found thru using WinRar to make SFX files is that you need to pause the install using sleep.exe after making a Winrar SFX file otherwise whatever comes after that SFX file may not install as desired or at all, i Currently install as follows

FireFox (SFX)

Sleep 10

Thunderbird (SFX)

Sleep 10

Java RE

WinRar

Without the Sleep between FF and TB i never had TB installed until i used the sleep.

just a little note, sorry if this has already been mentioned

P388l3s

won't be included, as WinRAR SFX files won't be included :P Didn't want to open a can of worms.

In the beginner's section of the guide, have the page describe cdimageGUI instead of the command-line version. Its easier for newbies to see what's going on, and what's missed out. You can even pre-configure it with the recommended switches in an INI.

Adding that to the downloads section would be good - though enabling hotlink protection for it would be a good idea (its 600 KB or so, don't want leechers downloading directly from our link).

In the beginner's section of the guide, have the page describe cdimageGUI instead of the command-line version. Its easier for newbies to see what's going on, and what's missed out. You can even pre-configure it with the recommended switches in an INI.

Adding that to the downloads section would be good - though enabling hotlink protection for it would be a good idea (its 600 KB or so, don't want leechers downloading directly from our link).

I had already added it to the section, but didn't go into detail on how to use it :P

Guess I will when I got back to spell/link check the pages.

As for link protection....curses. It better not need a script.

sure....

I'm working on the custamization branch, and then I have the reference section to go (most is the same from the old one.)

Then I'm just waiting for the PHP stuff to be completed, and I'l integrate it into the site.

Posted: Nov 22 2004, 06:44 PM

And you're not done yet?

Although I heard some were hiring hit men cause you haven't finished yet...

lol get it right and take all the time you need.

But they said you better have it right

Posted: Nov 22 2004, 06:44 PM

And you're not done yet?

Although I heard some were hiring hit men cause you haven't finished yet...

lol get it right and take all the time you need.

But they said you better have it right

well, I've redone the site twice already. :P Everytime it's been "different" and I didn't feel the need to upload it right away. I'm waiting for to be completely finished before completely releasing it

As for teh Nov22 thing, well...I originally gave it time so people could suggest things to be added. Now I'm just waiting for the final pieces before I continue work on it.

About 2-3 weeks after the initial renovation of the site, it will be updated again.