Windows ME Service Pack

Gape

gape at one was making a win me service pack

looks like he will finaly start on it

i agree

win me need xp or 2000 files for it to work right and you can't install ie 6 on it unless you visit windowsupdate

i at one time had me on n i got it pretty good

there is an app called system restore remover,maybe add that to it,shouldn't be too hard to find

WinME still on the planet?

I thought there had been an international ban on such software... lol

The only time I installed ME (on a laptop), the desktop icons would change every time I would boot.... The My Computer icon switched to Recycle Bin, some MS-Dos icon, a tree,....

Thank gawd future versions of windows did NOT do that!

Good luck with the service pack!

@Gape: BTW, what version on windows are the files in your "i need" list from??

The only time I installed ME (on a laptop), the desktop icons would change every time I would boot.... The My Computer icon switched to Recycle Bin, some MS-Dos icon, a tree,....

Thank gawd future versions of windows did NOT do that!

You have/had a damaged cache file. I know Microangelo has a way to fix the cache, but I am unsure how to do it otherwise...

Announcement:

After releasing 98 SE SP 2.0 final, I hope I will work on Windows ME Service Pack. :thumbup

hopefully this will stablize this operating system's explorer interface. I cant remember how i did it exactly, but i did manage to achieve this on a clean install of windows ME. Im pretty sure i used a combination of IE radicator and 98lite 4.5/4.6 to achieve this. Im thinking i used IE radicator to remove IE 5.5 and then i installed IE6 and used 98lite to re-integrate it into the desktop. but last time i tried this with IE6 SP1 i ran into problems. i got an error wen i tried to install IE6 SP1

you gotta goto windowsupdate to get ie 6...you need ie to get to windows update

not true. there are command line switches which can allow you to download the FULL installation files for IE...you just gotta download ie6setup.exe. this is also possible with IE5.5 SP2 for windows ME but im not sure about 2000 or NT.

download the ie6setup.exe file and alter the following line in the run box as u would need 2...(use quotes as provided).

"C:\Downloads\ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"

This will allow you to burn this to CD and use it later. This does not have to be done on the destination computer, it can be done on other computer. usually you will find the full installation of these files on Internet Starter CD's.

I will see if i can re-construct the movements as described in my last post and i will report back later letting you all know how i went. if IE6 SP1 fails yet again, i will use IE6 as i originally did.

so if i follow that i will dl the full?what if some1 doesen't have internet access to dl it thats what i was getting at

yes, downloads all setup files. if some1 doesnt have internet access then they can obtain IE6 of a computer magazine cd or internet starter kit cd. or if that specific computer doesnt have access to the net and u can access it from somewhere else then u can follow the above steps n burn the files on a cd and take back to the computer u want to install it on.

I occassionally install ME with 98lite and want to upgrade to Ie60SP1. With 98lite you can have all things IE pre-removed. However, unlike 98/SE, you CANNOT install IE60SP1 over "nothing". [i assume the same would apply if using Shane's IEradicator.]

When you run IE6setup.exe, it makes some kind of net-oriented complaint and never installs. [i am on permanently with cable modem at the time and things like PING and TRACERT and WINIPCFG all work fine; I can even install Netscape and it will work fine, etc.]

The only way I can get it to work is to put back/never take out in the first place the IE50, THEN remove it [again]. At that point, IE60SP1 amazingly does install!

Any clues?

cjl