Do you smoke  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Do you smoke

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but planing to quit
    • No and I hate smokers

No and I hate smokers, that is from an ex-smoker. :yes:

I know I'm a bore but that is how I feel about the "stink" of stale ciggy smoke.

I stopped in 1975, my doc. says when asked if I smoked to answer "never".

It has just dawned on me that that is 30 years ago, wow!!.

Edit: I don't hate the person only the habit. :no:

• 1 month later...

I started smoking when I was 20 (junior in college), well because my girlfriend at the time smoked. I must admit, attempting to inhale the first pack of cigs was difficult. However, it got easier with time. At college parties, a lot of people smoked. A lot of people drank. A lot of people smoked while they drank. I happened to be one of them.

After I discovered that her punk-arse had some kind of infatuation with being "friends" with ex-boyfriends, I still smoked. She would go out with exboyfriends, drink some beer with exboyfriends, but would swear that they were just friends. Does any of this sound familiar to you dudes as well ? How about this : she would "party" at their apartments, be friends with their friends, continually surrounding herself with the past -- all the while claiming to remain friends. (How easy it is for a female ... to put on the right clothes, the right makeup, the right attitude, then WHAM ... they get laid. While men, on the other hand, can try to do everything right -- yet fail miserably if she is not in the mood.) She was dumb. I was dumber for being with her. Anyhow, I decided right then and there that ... I would have to stick with her for the steady sex -- all the while feining love. Even IF she might be catching a few shots from her exboyfriends on the side, I would still get mine.

So the meaning of smoking changed. The meaning began as a way to have something in common with her. (Mistake #1.) Then the smoking began to embody the meaning of "burning" away other people. (No lifeguard at the gene pool.) When all else fails, there was a beer and a smoke. When I was stressed, there was smoke. Wake up in the morning, there was a smoke. After dinner, there was a smoke. Breaktime at work, there was a smoke. Clubbing, there was a smoke. After banging some chick, there was a smoke. Idle time in the car, there was a smoke. And sometimes when I thought it annoyed people... even after I just had a smoke... I would smoke again.

Continue this for 8 more years, minus 2 months, and you got my situation. I stopped smoking 2 months ago. Not because I wanted to, mind you. I loved smoking. Smoking was definately a good thing. No one knows how they're gonna die, right? Well, at least I picked my path. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Marlboro lights -- hard pack -- were my choice. I knew how to pack 'em just right, too. Anyhow -- I got sick. Not death-illness or anything, ... just plain and simply sick. It was quite annoying. I attempted to smoke ... multiple times ... while sick and this would result in me coughing even harder for longer periods of time. So I said, "Self," I says, "why don't you temporarily stop for a little bit ... just until you're over this crap,... put the rest of that pack in fridge and wait." THen the reply, "Yes," I says to me, "that's a wonderful idea. I'll get well, then start up again."

Well, I got well. But then I figured, "Hey. It's been a week and you haven't lit up once. Why not go for longer and see if you can quit this time." ... "Okay," I replied. "We'll see." So now it's two months later. I still want to smoke. Everyday I want to smoke. I see others smoke, I want to smoke. I think about smoking, I want to smoke. I see anime characters smoking, I want to smoke. But I don't. I want to... but just don't.

Ah crap. Was I babbling again? Ah, well. Guess I'll go have a smo... Dr. Pepper.

[shakes head]

Someone, please invent a healthy cigarette. One that instead of all the toxins actually creates vitamins, minerals, and oxygen as it burns. And make them scented, too. Vanilla, strawberry... that way you'll have the added bonus of a breath freshener.

[slaps self]

Nope! Never have, never will, and I try to get everyone I see (literally) to stop.

You see, when food is cooked most of the same carcinogens that are in cigarette smoke are released into the atmosphere, and at a much higher rate than burning cigarettes. This is a public health hazard and service industry workers need to be protected.

The mercury levels in fish, trans-fatty acids produced in the frying of meats etc. pose a great health risk. If you want to kill yourself by consuming these foods, go right ahead and do it in the privacy of your own home. But please don't force me to inhale the exhaust of hot gas-ranges in restaurants if I'm trying to enjoy my meal in a public place! Keep your disgusting habits to yourself please.

Umm.... this is probably the biggest load of crap I've ever heard... trying to ban cooked food? Have a look at any proper nutrition book and they'll tell you that cooking food is the first step in digestion. Human beings have evolved to become omnivores (eat meat and plants) and the only way for us to properly digest the proteins in meat is by cooking them.

As for the "health risks" with cooked food and your comparison with cigarettes: Cigarettes have about 2000 known chemicals other than just tobacco in them. Cooked food does not. I could add another few paragraphs to this if you'd like.

Hey I will stfu and keep my comments to myself when you keep your second hand smoke to yourself... deal? :hello:

Well said! :thumbup

Also, about the litter. I cannot count the number of times I have seen someone chuck a drink cup or fast food bag out the window, or how often I've seen the remains of a blown truck tire scattered all over the road. And you might argue that there are 50 times more cigarrette butts out there than all of these combined...but where are they?? I see ugly mangled black rubber, I see four year old soda cans, and brown paper bags so moulded into the road that only the rain will eventually get rid of them...but I have never EVER noticed a single cigarrette butt on the highway.

Take a look at what happened to the forests in British Columbia in the past two years. We've had 2 summers with horrendous forest fires caused by... you guessed it... cigarettes. The biggest fire last year was caused by a firefighter of all people. A FIREFIGHTER!!! Over one million acres of good lumber went up in smoke because of cigarettes and the irresponsible people who throw them out of their truck window.

Also, if you look at the city where I live (Vancouver, Canada) you'll rarely see coffee cups and bottles laying on the ground, but you do see quite a few butts lying on the sidewalks and on the roads.

And the health risk. There's a health risk every time you walk out the door. Hell, I've known just as many people who've died in car crashes as who've died from lung cancer...but the ones who died in accidents were a heck of a lot younger, and much more dearly missed, because noone ever would have suspected it was coming. Unless you live in a hut with no contact with the outside world, you know there's a danger to smoking. If you choose to accept that danger, then so be it. But for god's sake, please shut up about it, I long for a day when I don't hear about it at least twice.

As for the comment about the age at which people die because of car accidents and smoking - Tell that to one of my old classmates who developed emphysema at age 15 and got lung cancer at 17 (she passed away in her last year of high school). And yes, I miss her very much. Aside from the smoking she was a very nice person. She knew the dangers of it as well, but she didn't have the willpower to stop when things started to go downhill. Don't make the same mistake as she did.

Everybody have a reason(smoke or not).dont judge smokers

There is no reason to smoke. The whole argument about it "relieving stress" comes from the fact that when you are under stress, the nicotine levels in your bloodstream drop, making you have a craving. When you go for the cigarette, it brings those levels back up and makes you "feel better". It's the worst possible excuse I know for smokers. Other than that, there is no reason!

Just to give a bit more background to my views on this matter - I'm working at a cancer research centre. I'm working on a project that will allow doctors to view the cells inside a person's lungs while they're on the operating table. This means that diagnoses will come a lot quicker and therefore more lives will be saved. I HATE the fact that this technology will be used on people who purposefully damage themselves and need my time, sweat, and blood to save their lives. It's downright unfair. I like the job though, since it will help to save those people who are the unfortunate targets of natrual selection, and it's giving me good work experience.