Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Shrinking System32 folder - OEMBIOS.BIN

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

mpattonm

mpattonm

lost case

• 5 posts
I was trimming down the footprint of my setup during last few days to achive my goal of less then 250MB for WindowsXP (BTW my current footprint with WinXP SP2 is 278 MB). That is because I would like to use 256 CF IDE card to boot and run my OS from (with a little help of EWF taken out from XP Embedded). I was supprised when I realised biggest file in my System32 folder is OEMBIOS.BIN. It is 12.5 MB big. I know OEMBIOS.* files are part of corporate licence, and they are needed for proper licence validation, but 12.5 MB is not it quite a big file? Considering WinXP also reads this file anytime it starts to verify licence, causing unwanted delays, I would like to ask if anyone knows how to avoid this file.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
So is this file needed for Activation or something related to it? It would be nice to get rid of a file this big.

mpattonm

mpattonm

lost case

• 5 posts

So is this file needed for Activation or something related to it? It would be nice to get rid of a file this big.

That is basically my question. If I simply delete it, OS will not start saying "could not valideta your licence".

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• 3,473 posts
Try in virtual PC or VMware...

mpattonm

mpattonm

lost case

• 5 posts

That is basically my question. If I simply delete it, OS will not start saying "could not validate your licence".

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• 3,473 posts
Uhm, why did you just double post?

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
Good idea!
Lets see if someone has info about *WHAT EXACTLY* oembios.bin does. Then, probably replace it with a 0-byte dummy file, or at the least leave behind only essential contents of the file (after stripping out info about OEMs and SLP for their BIOSes).
But doing this seems to go dangerously near forbidden things. :w00t: So be on guard! (don't post anything that could trash activation)
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Tomik

Tomik
  • 2 posts
Some people (I too) have corporate version of Windows and don't need activation, so think to this peoples too

mpattonm

mpattonm

lost case

• 5 posts

Uhm, why did you just double post?

I have no clue why that happened. Anyway, why do you ask? Will it help to solve my problem somehow?

newsposter

newsposter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
oembios.bin is part of windows activation.

This particular file contains motherboard-specific BIOS string information. If you have an OEM version of XP, one of the things that Windows Activation does is to compare the approved strings encoded in oembios.bin with strings in your motherboard BIOS.

If the strings don't match, then WA refuses to let you go on. This is one of the ways that Microsoft and the OEM makers tie their XP distros to the hardware for which it's licensed.

oembios.bin (and the associated WA files) is different for every OEM (Dell, HP, IBM, etc, etc) version of XP out there. oembios.bin is submitted to WHDQL and cataloged there so it's pretty well embedded into OEM XP distros.

IF (and it's an untested IF) you can find the correct WA files from a generic copy of XP you MIGHT (another untested MIGHT) be able to swap out the OEM versions.

Someone is going to have to test this though.

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts

IF (and it's an untested IF) you an find the correct WA files from a generic copy of XP you MIGHT (another untested MIGHT) be able to swap out the PEM versions.

Someone is going to have to test this though.

Thanks for the info put in precise words.
I think I'll test it. But not right now, as I gotta cram for a test. :(
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• 3,473 posts
I'll test it.

SFiorito

SFiorito

• 10 posts
Hey guys, mpatton posted this same question on the mp3car forums and I posted one solution that may interest you guys. Go here: http://www.mp3car.co...ead.php?t=37724 It's how to use the minlogon component from XP embedded. Just like EWF, it may not be for everyone, but at least it gets rid of this freaking 12.5MB file.

Later,
Frito

wk357mag

wk357mag

• 17 posts

Hey guys, mpatton posted this same question on the mp3car forums and I posted one solution that may interest you guys. Go here: http://www.mp3car.co...ead.php?t=37724 It's how to use the minlogon component from XP embedded. Just like EWF, it may not be for everyone, but at least it gets rid of this freaking 12.5MB file.

Later,
Frito

Now this could be really kewl !!!

bigman1

bigman1

King Kong Ain't Got Nothin On ME

• 31 posts
This is awesome :)

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• 3,291 posts
i wonder..

is oembios needed if u run a program that uses your hardware footprint for an activation code? would this still work ok? :P
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

duminas

duminas
  • 1 posts

Later,
Frito

Now this could be really kewl !!!

I wish that site would work for me; I can't get any sort of response from it.
Could someone quote the relevant post off of their board, please?

bigman1

bigman1

King Kong Ain't Got Nothin On ME

• 31 posts
Well I tested it out and it's working without a problem now
:)
:thumbup

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• 3,473 posts
It mentioned faster boot time. Mine is 17 seconds.

SFiorito

SFiorito

• 10 posts
woah!!! 17 seconds?? compared to what beforehand?? ****, i'm stuck with this s***ty old drive (my 2.5" drive died so i'm using an old maxtor) so I can't really get a feel for how much faster it is.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• 3,473 posts
Well, I can't remember what my boot time was under a normal XP install. Probably 40+ seconds. I don't have a RAID setup or anything. I just use nLite and disable Services. That's all. 17 seconds.

MCT

MCT

MSFN Junkie

• 3,291 posts
what files r u guys deleting? the 4 oemfiles in i386 on cd?
& what entries r u removing from where :P
Posted Image Posted Image
Windows 7 32Bit 2GB Ram 120GB HDD (Laptop), Windows 8 4GB Ram 1TB HDD (Desktop) Windows XP SP3 VM with enhancements!

iwod

iwod

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
Has anybody try this on a Productive system?

Does it actually work? And no confilicts with other software?

Will you still have to logon like you do in WinXP.

Honestly this sounds really interesting, because not only you get rid off a 12.5 Mb file. We also get faster startup time.

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
Well, just removing the files will disallow you to login again :whistle:

You need some XP Embedded components to do the trick

EDIT Just tested it:

+
Startup time improved
No more user profiles
get rid of the oembios files

-
No hibernation
No standby
Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

minigun

minigun

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
i got improved shutdown time too (its only tested in vmware... but it took like 1-2second from hitting the shutdown button) :thumbup

but i wonder what the security issuse of this would be?? would the system be less secure or more :unsure:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN