Win98 Resource Kit

cyberthug

Well here is what I see in GetRight ...

FBIyQeZ.png

Maybe there is some kind of filtering of alias links that GetRight does ?

EDIT: Just for comparison I fired up CuteFTP (v4.something) and it pretty much looks the same even after I tried all the various options concerning display of symbolic links. Now where did I put that darn WS_FTP.

EDIT2: updated image URL

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Hi loblo,

I love your screen shot , great.

Your FTP client came back stoned with 7 entries for \reskit\, but if your FTP client got already stoned by just looking at all these goodies at MS, can you be sure that the files it brought back are good? We generally agree that \reskit\ contains 2382 files in 91 folders, but can one trust what a stoned FTP client brings back, i.e. is your downloaded stuff really good? Ultimate certainty would only provide a binary compare of the downloaded stuff against the probably underlying TechNet CD "Microsoft Plus! 98, Windows® 98 Resource Kit" (Part No. X05-34597, January 2000, Disc 6) "http://web.shinmin.tc.edu.tw/administrative/cc/data/msdn/cdtable(012000).htm" Maybe not just this index of CDs, but also the CD itself is on that university server in Taiwan, who knows, I didn't check.

Unfortunately I don't have this TechNet CD, only for example the TechNet CDs "Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit" (February 2000, X05-51766) and "Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit" (January 2000, X05-43228).

Now a silly question: Are the utilities on the book CD still of any use, in 2012? Does anyone here in the forum actually use them? The index to the utilities can be downloaded here ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/HELP/WIN98RK.CHM

Edited by Multibooter

Hi cyberformer,

I was referring to the utilities on the CD. The file on the CD containing the manual, Rk98book.chm , is a must-have for reference, for people who want to delve deeper into Win98. Appendix C "Windows 98 INF Files", for example, is an excellent documentation of the INF file layout.

I got 2389 Files in 95 Directores.

Confirmed as counted from the \Win98 folder.

With FileZilla v3.5.3 under WinXP I got once the generally agreed-upon quantity of 2382 files and 91 folders

Confirmed as counted from the \Reskit folder.

I also downloaded with FileZilla 3.5.3 under XP.

I have added the KILL.EXE to the Service Pack, but it doesn't have its original attributes. Can someone help me?

How so? What do you mean by "but it doesn't have its original attributes"?

BTW, kill.exe is more useful when one also has tlist.exe present, because tlist.exe lists process IDs in the right format for use with kill.exe. All existing versions of those programs, whatever their version, have matching versions, to show they work right together.

Try this (halfway down) - Map a Drive to the FTP site as indicated (2K and up). See if that makes any difference. Just like your own HDD. ;)

For the record:

http://www.itlisting.org/5-windows/9a87b563686a2140.aspx

;)

Would that work in 9x through LMHOSTS/whatever?

BTW the linked to Win2K thingy seems like being taken from this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726981.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726981.aspx#EHAA

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

How so? What do you mean by "but it doesn't have its original attributes"?

What I mean is that the KILL.EXE has the date/time stamp 02/26/1997 01:53PM on MS server

but when you download the file you get the most recent such as today's date .

BTW, kill.exe is more useful when one also has tlist.exe present, because tlist.exe lists process IDs in the right format for use with kill.exe. All existing versions of those programs, whatever their version, have matching versions, to show they work right together.

I really don't need the TLIST.EXE, because I'm only using KILL.EXE to kill a few processes. Thanks I'll test the tool and see

what it brings to the table. Sorry I wasn't clear. After a 13hr train ride with no sleep, everything probably sounded like gibberish.

Edit: You can also find IVIEWERS.DLL 2.1.0.59 in Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit.

This version is included in SP3

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I have just repeated an attempt to download the stuff from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ with Beyond Compare v2.5.3 under WinXP SP2 on my 11-year-old Inspiron 7500 laptop, using an old Belkin F5D5010 CardBus Card connected via Ethernet cable to an ancient Linksys Router BEFSR41.

Beyond Compare transferred the folder structure and folder dates, and 2262 files in 91 folders, in 3 hours 41 minutes. The transfer of 39 files was terminated by Beyond Compare with the following messages:

- Data channel timed out; or:

- The semaphore timeout period has expired; or:

- Connection closed.

What these messages tell me, is that something didn't work :). The agreed upon quantity is 2382 files and 91 folders. This still leaves 81 files (2382 - 2262 - 39) which were not transferred and for which Beyond Compare did apparently not display a message.

Repeating the file transfer for several of the skipped files individually resulted in the same error messages, but no additional files on my hard drive. I then changed the settings in Beyond Compare:

-> Tools -> Options -> FTP, and in the window "FTP Settings" I changed the Link Resolution from a default selection "Fast" to "Complete".

Pressing F1 Help in Beyond Compare displayed the following for the "Complete" selection:

"BC will use it's internal representation of the FTP structure to determine what the target is. This will detect broken links and can require fewer operations than "Simple", but can get caught by recursive links".

After this change I exited Beyond Compare, restarted it and then was able to transfer more files individually. More files were now displayed on the source pane in Beyond Compare. So apparently what Beyond Compare sees on the server is determined by the options selected, not by what is actually there.

I had also changed the default value for "Local Cache" from 4096 KB to "40960 KB".

A further restart of Beyond Compare, with another changed setting in window "Advanced FTP Settings" (I had also selected under LIST Options: "Show hidden"), displayed even more files on the source/server pane,

With these new FTP settings I was able to download individually all missing files (quite easy with Beyond Compare), except for the following:

- NSSERVER.EXE, about 7MB

- NSTOOLS.EXE, about 4MB

- DRREN1MB.ASF, about 30 MB

- STEM288.ASF, about 3MB

- AFRICAT1_96K44100S.ASF, about 2MB

Beyond Compare displayed for these 5 files the error message: "The semaphore timeout period has expired".

More information about such an error message is here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistanetworking/thread/c3fc9f5d-c073-4a9f-bb3d-b7bb8f893f78 , where someone posted: "Microsoft are no help at all, they know this problem exists yet ignore all requests of help to find a solution"

So my problem with Beyond Compare seems to have been that I had wrong settings. But I am still not quite there, Beyond Compare got 2377 out of 2382 files, 5 more to go. Any suggestions?

I have attached screenshots of my FTP Settings in Beyond Compare.

Beyond Compare v2.5.3 [last version for Win98] uses sfFTPLib.dll v1.5.8.23 of 24-Aug-2006 by SmartFTP. Does Beyond Compare v3 (not compatible with Win98) have a better FTP? There were changes with SmartFTP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartFTP Here is a description of the various version of this DLL: https://www.smartftp.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8534-ftp-library-1x-change-log/

post-183045-0-69692400-1338488947_thumb.

post-183045-0-39060700-1338488963_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter

I have added the KILL.EXE to the Service Pack, but it doesn't have its original attributes. Can someone help me?

I don't want to download a file just to download a file. :realmad:

1) Open "My Computer".

2) In the "Address", type:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/DIAGNOSE/

3) For Kill.exe file use the command "Copy to Folder".

You will receive a file with the following parameters:

Created: February 26, 1997 1:53:00 PM

Modified: February 26, 1997 1:53:00 PM

Only "Last opened" will be the current date and time.

Alternatively, use this: http://www.petges.lu/download/

I don't want to download a file just to download a file. :realmad:

1) Open "My Computer".

2) In the "Address", type:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/DIAGNOSE/

3) For Kill.exe file use the command "Copy to Folder".

(sigh..) ONE... MORE... TIME!!!!

win98=bad/ Win98=good
What is the INSISTENCE with using the BAD folder name?? You WILL get... ERRORS!!!!!

@PROBLEMCHYLD (for the record)

I have Copied BOTH "folders"...
Go back and note the the ScreenShot "proofs" I had previously provided. The problem with Windows Explorer method is it is... SLOOOOOWWW!!!! (I had already said that was how I did it.)

I repeat... FG1.73 (the LAST good version, that Multibooter found on the WayBack) is ABSOLUTELY GOOD!!! I REFUSE to repeat this "test" to prove it... AGAIN! Apparently, GetRight (as Charlotte so aptly pointed out) does a GRAND job of even correcting the "dual folder Up vs low case" glitch.

BeyondCompare OBVIOUSLY has a BUG! I had already SAID that!

And to CONFIRM the correct set after download, GET Karen's DirPrt, RUN it, EDIT OUT the list I gave and YOUR run (the ROOT folder names), and do a File Contents Compare - if they match, YOU ARE DONE!!!!!

JEEZ, this is getting..... RIDICULOUS! Use what has been PROVEN to "work" and quit screwing around! BC is BROKEN for your immediate purpose!!!! FG (and maybe GetRight, and PROBABLY as LoneCrusader's FileZilla) are NOT!!!!!

How many people have to PROVE the FileCount/Hashes to get the point across? (thx, rloew and LoneCrusader for further confirmation)

COOK THE HORSE ON A SPIT - IT'S DEAD - LET'S EAT!!!!

Note on RK98book.chm/chi set - As noted, the ONLY advantage is the "hook" into the CHI (Compiled Help Index). Otherwise, You are GOLD! (YES, I said I have it...).

As the "exercise/diet queen" Susan Powter once said "STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!"

Multibooter, I really have to agree with submix8c. Since you have determined that BC is both slow and does not completely download all the files, why do you seem to want to continue to use it? Just to get the folders to have the "correct" date? Why? So what? What purpose does that serve? The beauty of having so many program options to use for a task is that you can use the one that is best suited to that task. You don't have to force a tool to work the way you want if there is another tool available. And egrabrych provided you a link to "Attribute Changer" (for XP and above) that can change the folder dates to what you want them to be, if you insist. I'm sure there is probably an earlier version of the app, or a different app, that will work on Win98, but I haven't looked. Continue to use BC for the main purpose it was intended, file comparison, and use a more appropriate tool for file download.

And it seems that it is now agreed that the folders we see with "misspellings" are false positives, which usually disappear upon app refresh, so we don't need to continue to bring up that aspect anymore either.

As interesting as this side excursion has been, again I agree with submix8c - this horse is dead. Can we now move on to something else?

Cheers and Regards