Win98 Resource Kit

cyberthug

Well, I downloaded it using Filezilla on my XP PC...and installed it on 98 Second Edition.

I chose the "typical" install, and it did just that.

After casually exploring this Resource Kit, I've come to the conclusion that:

It has the potential once mastered, to turn the 98 Neophyte user.... into an Adept 98 user!

Seems like it is intended to give a person mastery of the 98 system...

so far as manipulating the various facets of said system.

All in all---quite nice!

The most important part of this posting is the attached screen shot.

Since you have determined that BC is both slow and does not completely download all the files....
I was referring to old Beyond Compare v2.5.3, the last version to run under Win98SE. I have downloaded Ok all 2382 files and 91 folders of ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ with Beyond Compare v3.3.3 of 28-Oct-2011. Beyond Compare 3 reported during its initial download that 4 files were not downloaded because of a semaphore timeout error. 2 of these missing files were downloaded individually Ok by Beyond Compare v3 after 1 repeat, 1 file after 2 repeats, and 1 file (30MB) after 3 repeats.

Beyond Compare v3.3.3 has an acceptable speed, it permits up to 10 simultaneous connections, old v2.5.3 permits only one download at a time.

If the old FTP module in Beyond Compare v2.5.3 (sfFTPLib.dll v1.5.8.23 of 24-Aug-2006 by SmartFTP) can be replaced with a newer, Win98-compatible version, maybe the FTP of old v2.5.3 (of 14-Jul-2008) will perform under Win98 like the newer v3.3.3. under WinXP, except for the folder dates and the lower speed.

... why do you seem to want to continue to use it [beyond Compare]? Just to get the folders to have the "correct" date? Why? So what? What purpose does that serve?

1 ) A true copy of my websites on my HDD

My main use of FTP software is to update my websites. I keep copies of my websites on my HDD, and I also archive my websites with WinRAR whenever I make changes to them. I do want to have on my HDD and in my archive exactly what was on my server at a specific point in time, and folder dates tell me when I uploaded a folder.

2 ) Forensic accuracy.

If I make a copy of something, it should BE a real copy, not LOOK like a real copy. Examples:

A ) UltraISO v9.3.6.2750, when creating an iso image of a CD/DVD with bad sectors, fills the iso with zeroes where it encountered bad sectors on the CD/DVD, without giving any messages about it.

B ) FileZilla v3.5.3, when it downloads files from this bad FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ and gets a transmission error just in the file dates, but not in the content of the file, continues without a message - and these files are saved with the current date, not with the original date

I have attached a screen shot of Beyond Compare v3.3.3. The left pane displays the set of 2382 files and 91 folders downloaded with FileZilla under WinXP, the right pane displays the same set downloaded with Beyond Compare v3.3.3 under WinXP. It is interesting to note that FileZilla substituted the current date for the 4 files marked red, without a message, while the other files in the folder \BATCH\ have the server date. Compare also the time (seconds) of the folder date and of these 4 red files. If I had not downloaded these 2382 files with Beyond Compare v3.3.3 and had not made this comparison, I would never have known that some of the files that FileZilla returned had incorrect file dates.

if your FTP client got already stoned by just looking at all these goodies at MS, can you be sure that the files it brought back are good?

BTW, the screen shot is the initial display by Beyond Compare, when it just compares file/folder dates and sizes. The displayed colors change again after Beyond Compare made a binary compare of the content of the files/folders.

And egrabrych provided you a link to "Attribute Changer" (for XP and above) that can change the folder dates to what you want them to be, if you insist.
I am using Total Commander under Win98 and WinXP for changing dates.
Continue to use BC for the main purpose it was intended, file comparison, and use a more appropriate tool for file download.
Beyond Compare is NOT a specialized program. It is among my 5 most used programs with many uses. I use it most for file manipulations instead of Windows Explorer, for file cleanup and deleting duplicates and as a hex viewer, but there are so many other uses. I recently used it to recover data from CDs/DVDs with bad sectors, and now it's my top FTP software, at least under WinXP. Edited by Multibooter

1 ) A true copy of my websites on my HDD

My main use of FTP software is to update my websites. I keep copies of my websites on my HDD, and I also archive my websites with WinRAR whenever I make changes to them. I do want to have on my HDD and in my archive exactly what was on my server at a specific point in time, and folder dates tell me when I uploaded a folder.

2 ) Forensic accuracy.

If I make a copy of something, it should BE a real copy, not LOOK like a real copy. Examples:

A ) UltraISO v9.3.6.2750, when creating an iso image of a CD/DVD with bad sectors, fills the iso with zeroes where it encountered bad sectors on the CD/DVD, without giving any messages about it.

B ) FileZilla v3.5.3, when it downloads files from this bad FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ and gets a transmission error just in the file dates, but not in the content of the file, continues without a message - and these files are saved with the current date, not with the original date

For the record I do sympathize with you on this. ;)

I have often been irritated by downloaded files not having their original file attributes, as it is useful for version control or to differentiate between different sets of files with the same name downloaded from different sources. (Example - recently I was searching for the absolute oldest USB2 driver stack that existed, with the hope of finding a stack that could be loaded on Windows 95. I found several older stacks on various FTP sites (files dated late 2001- early 2002) that I needed to keep organized by their original attributes, but when downloading, the dates were naturally set to the current date. Very frustrating, and an organizational nightmare! :wacko: )

As you encountered file timeout errors, I would suggest setting your software to only download one file at a time, especially for "forensic accuracy." My FileZilla was set to download one file at a time, and I encountered no timeouts or errors of any kind. (Of course it is possible that there were unreported issues, as you pointed out.) If this does not prevent the errors and/or changed attributes, then I would suggest trying to re-download the affected files separately.

... Beyond Compare v2.5.3, the last version to run under Win98SE.

You don't have to stick to version 2.5.3. Beyond Compare 3.x works under Windows 98SE. The minimum OS requirement for Beyond Compare 3.x is Windows 95 OSR2. http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_windows

No idea how I assumed that v2.5.3 was the last version to run under Win98!! Thanks a lot for the information.

As you encountered file timeout errors, I would suggest setting your software to only download one file at a time... My FileZilla was set to download one file at a time, and I encountered no timeouts or errors of any kind.
When I downloaded with FileZilla I had the setting of 4 simultaneous transfers, maybe this caused the file date errors.

FileZilla is my second choice as FTP software, and I will keep it installed, just like I keep several browsers. It's good to have a 2nd FTP client to repeat a download In case there are any issues.

Edited by Multibooter

Well, this Topic has gone WAYYYY off-topic.

It has now become about "What version of X allows for an exact replicate of a Website or Website Folder for the potential purpose of forensic analysis using MS' FTP site as an experimental source, particularly when using X on Windows 98"...

Is that an accurate assessment?

BTW, I am so happy that you are finally happy...

And egrabrych provided you a link to "Attribute Changer" (for XP and above) that can change the folder dates to what you want them to be, if you insist.

"Attribute Changer" v.6.20 is functioning correctly in Windows 98SE (+ KernelEx 4.5.2).

At least with me :)

But there are problems with the changes attributes of the files in multi-level folders structures (also in Windows XP) - but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

I use both. However, kill.exe/tlist.exe are small command-line utilities, which can be used for fast kills and multiple kills.

Process Explorer is an overkill, for those purposes. :yes:

Ex.: open five instances of IE (not five tabs). Then issue the command "kill iexplore", from the DOS box.

Process Explorer is sophisticated, but, AFAIK, cannot do that. Or can it? :unsure:

Well, this Topic has gone WAYYYY off-topic.
I beg to disagree. The topic, in my view, has two subjects:

1) The link itself

2) the content behind the link (i.e. the Win98 Resource Kit)

Here part of the initial posting #1:

I just thot maybe there should be a seperate thread for this link.

A link from microsoft containing the complete Resource Kit for Windows 98.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/

Postings #1 thru #22 are exclusively concerned with this link and the difficulties connecting to it. Posting #21 contains a red text "Link Removed by admin". Only starting with posting #22 did the attention turn to the content behind the link. I view this specific link as a test link for testing FTP software under Win98/XP, as an FTP test site, which is maybe more interesting nowadays than the apps contained in the Win98 Resource Kit.

And even if this view were incorrect, the original poster cyberthug hasn't posted for over 4 years, so I am not shooting a topic which an active member is working on. The interest of visitors when visiting this topic 8 years ago was the content, to get a free copy of the Resource Kit. But today the interest is probably more in the actual link and the problems downloading from it.

For visitors who are interested in the content behind the link: We have not yet established where the content of the FTP link actually came from. The content is not from the Book CD, and I speculated earlier that it is from the TechNet CD. But I cannot yet exclude the possibility that the content comes from a beta version of the Windows 98 Resource Kit, although I think it's unlikely. Only a binary compare of the content of the FTP site against the respective CD can provide certainty.

Edited by Multibooter

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc805581

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768203

The Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit consists of this comprehensive volume and a single compact disc containing the Resource Kit tools and utilities that make it easier for you to get the most out of Windows 98.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc767068.aspx

Looks suspiciously similar to me. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Resource-Kit-Microsoft-Press/dp/1572316446

Publication Date: January 1, 1998 | Series: Resource Kit

The bundled CD-ROM contains a collection of nifty diagnostic tools, hardware compatibility lists, card troubleshooting info, and the complete e-text of the book.

Highest dated (relevant) file is WIN98RK.CHM, which is a Guide to the Utilities on it (if you don't count the WIN98TMC.DLL). Immediately preceding (relevant) date is 04/30/1998, implying that it MIGHT have directly come from an MSDN April 1998 Release.

The FTP download is nearly identical to the Win98 (FE!) Resource kit, which lacks many files/folders (see attached).

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Kit

Notice that the 98FE CD I have has only a subset (the "sample" indicated).

If I have to keep attaching things, I'll have to eventually start deleting some...

The topic, in my view, has two subjects
In my opinion, it has transmogrified. The link Removed was obviously to the MSDN and/or the Original CD. The "origins" seems like a rather pointless exercise. It APPEARS to be an "original" (based on what I just demonstrated).

edit - you'd better look back at post #21 - BANNED!

FYI - The "fix" you found appears to already be incorporated.

More info here -

http://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php?title=Microsoft%3AMSDN_Discs

http://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php?title=File%3AMSDN_June_1998_Disc_15.jpg

I have the original PLUS!98 and am willing to BET that on the FTP site, the RK is, indeed COMPLETE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Plus!#Microsoft_Plus.21_98

Many (if not ALL) Plus!98 files are also on the FTP site (if you know what to look for).

RK98vsFTP.zip

Edited by submix8c

I have the original 1998 CD (MS Part No. 097-0001929; CDFS Volume Descriptor Info: Volume ID = WIN98RK ; Created in 04/29/1998 05:00 PM at GMT-7).

In it, there are:

WIN98RK.CHM: 311,429 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 04/30/1998 06:42 PM;

MD5 = 0B09352FEDD03880F1FA12E80054EF8A; SHA1= D9A395FDD555F2D788A4E406C54192B7C0A39545.

KILL.EXE: 118,524 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 02/26/1997 05:53 PM;

MD5 = AFEA8821723BB98D71FB7CB4E6493AF6; SHA1= 813F554FCA4C4F010C98A1DF452102681F5FC645.

TLIST.EXE: 114,240 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 02/26/1997 05:53 PM;

MD5 = 899A994BC23753643937C344FF5FB9DF; SHA1= 5F713A1B800E3A7AD53B34A6833B4B771FD4FB10.

USBVIEW.EXE: 69,120 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 03/11/1998 12:20 AM;

MD5 = 10FD1035B333FE53068DC358181664B3; SHA1= 08E4C34BF8722DD41A33E9DD38E7EEE4915611C1.

Now, since the last three are PE executables, I can say more about them:

KILL.EXE: PE Timestamp = 3314B0EC -> Wed Feb 26 18:53:48 1997; File Version = <none>;

stated PE Checksum = 00027E4C; calculated PE Checksum = 00027E4C.

TLIST.EXE: PE Timestamp = 3314B0EC -> Wed Feb 26 18:53:48 1997; File Version = <none>;

stated PE Checksum = 000294A8; calculated PE Checksum = 000294A8.

USBVIEW.EXE: PE Timestamp = 35061116 -> Wed Mar 11 01:20:38 1998; File Version = 4.10.0.1710;

stated PE Checksum = 00000000; calculated PE Checksum = 0001BFC6.

Now, since KILL.EXE and TLIST.EXE are Checksummed PE Executables, I can demonstrate they aren't corrupt, by comparing the stated checksum (in the so-called "Optional Header", which is not optional) with a newly calculated checksum. But this is not always the case, as illustrated by USBVIEW.EXE, which has no stated checksum (or 00000000 as the stated checksum, to be punctilious).

In any case, I've installed the WIN98RK in my system partition, just after finishing windows installation and update. My current installation was performed in 11/13/2001. Those four files I mentioned above are identical in the original CD and in my system partition, so I think it very probable that both WIN98RK.CHM and USBVIEW.EXE are not corrupt either.

The Windows 98 Resource Kit from the FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ is quite different from that on the the book CD.

I have put all the stuff from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ into an iso container, with file and folder dates exactly as on the server. When mounted and run the FTP-iso comes up with a different menu from that of the book CD, see the attached screen shots.

Left: Beta CD, Reskit98 v98.0.1.110

Center: Book CD, Reskit98 v98.0.1.118

Right: FTP-CD, Reskit98 v98.0.1.119

post-183045-0-63569000-1339193437_thumb.

post-183045-0-90215900-1339193451_thumb.

post-183045-0-05365100-1339193473_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter