Win98 Resource Kit

cyberthug

Interestingly enough, I quick-posted in one thread and suddenly find myself in another one. Aliens?! :huh:

Yeah, and most probably of the Pebkac species, there seems to be a few of them who have abducted this thread. :w00t:

Since I'm in a (relatively) good mood, let's just blame it on the state of exhaustion I was in, at the time of posting. Maybe I forgot to turn the page.

I usually recognize that "alien species" you're talking about when I see them.

Like I said, use Karen's Directory Printer (what I used) and Save the List in the same format/options[...]
I'm used to a slightly different approach: there's a packer plug-in for Total Commander that allows one to create and browse files of type .lst, which are exact replicas of the folder tree used as source when creating them. With the only difference that any .lst file neested within such .lst will appear in the form of a folder, allowing to browse its contents.

If you have the means to browse .lst files you'll see what I got.

download

EDIT:

This topic goes much faster than my Internet connection. :(

I remember having gotten a similar value. Maybe old routers use old FTP specifications
I don't have a (working) router in my house, connection goes through a GPRS modem (ZTE MF-190 or something). No clue on the hardware used by my ISP along the way. Edited by Drugwash

@Multibooter - BE FOREWARNED! Connect the Router to PC ONLY! Disconnect from the Modem (WAN) Side! Read CAREFULLY any instructions. You will HOSE the Router and play HECK getting the Firmware corrected (there ARE methods sometimes).

@Drugwash - the POINT of my post is to save you some hassle - MY LIST IS ACCURATE! By REPLICATING the List on YOUR downloads and LINE COMPARING, you have what you need to "correct" your download. I do NOT have TC, and DirPrt is... FREE!!! (Not sure about TC but you DO get the point, don't you?).

WHY should ANYONE "browse a list" when the Method I indicated will yield ONLY NECESSARY "FIXES"? After all I didn't suggest "browsing" ANYTHING! I could easily use my method for Comparison against ANY "version" of the ResKit (Much like BeyondCompare)! BTW, I also have DirPrudence for Directory/File comparisons and CompareIt for contents comparisons (hence "Tool of your choice").

edit

Total Commander, Version 8.0, is a Shareware file manager for Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7, and Windows® 3.1.
And below that something about "orders". NOT "Free"! Or am I missing something here? Edited by submix8c

I had previously downloaded the whole bunch of files and they all got mixed up, some main folders were not created... Total Commander reports 2375 files in 91 folders for a total of 169,970,943 bytes. According to the numbers throughout the topic, it seems FG missed a few files
I remember having gotten a similar value. Maybe old routers use old FTP specifications http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5797 or the MS FTP server doesn't get along with old routers.

My Amiga Software is more than 15 years old, so I doubt that their server needs newer protocols.

@Multibooter - you've installed the ResKit?

Files Required - BOOTEDIT.EXE / BOOTEDIT.HLP

If your Boot Drive is FAT32, you can't enable MultiBoot or set to boot to previous version of DOS

My boot drive is FAT16 and the properties hidden and read-only of MSDOS.SYS were de-selected. I got the error message "Windows Boot Editor. Could not set attributes on file. See help for more information". I am also using System Commander v9.04, maybe BOOTEDIT.EXE tries to modify other stuff besides my MSDOS.SYS, which was modified with notepad to 1698 bytes. Reskit98 tools are test-installed on one of my Win98 systems, which is currently busy with a big download under WinXP, but if I remember right, I got the same error message under Win98SE when running BOOTEDIT.EXE with the Tools Management Console. Does BOOTEDIT.EXE work on your system? Edited by Multibooter

On a VPC Win98SE, I cleared (in MSDOS prompt) Attributes (standard is System/Hidden/Readonly). It sticks when displayed back. I then manually ran BOOTEDIT from a Folder (a short-named path, mind you) with the HLP file with it. Works fine and RESETS Attributes back to SHR... Did it WITHOUT Clearing as well. Even did it with just "Archive" bit set - same result... Filesystem=FAT16...

Hmmm. maybe something to do with C-Drive and marked Active(? normally required). More than likely using System Commander is causing problems. BOOTEDIT does NOT alter any other file (there's even a tab to display the contents).

edit - side note - it appears that this one was a "clean" install with IE6SP1, the MSInstaller, a Firewall, and a Printer added (maybe some other minor items). Still, shouldn't matter unless it has to do with some "unofficial" updates?

Edited by submix8c

I don't have a (working) router in my house, connection goes through a GPRS modem (ZTE MF-190 or something). No clue on the hardware used by my ISP along the way.

Your modem http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/548001827/unlock_ZTE_mf190_3g_usb_modem.html?s=p seems to be recent. Perhaps changing your FTP settings (bigger local cache, I increased mine from 4096KB to 40960KB) could help if the files not downloaded were big files, as I would speculate. Or repeat the download for just the missing files. Or try another modem, maybe the FTP of your modem doesn't work with the hardware of your ISP...

Hmmm. maybe something to do with C-Drive and marked Active(? normally required). More than likely using System Commander is causing problems. BOOTEDIT does NOT alter any other file (there's even a tab to display the contents).... "unofficial" updates?
The C partition is Primary and Active. I have copied BOOTEDIT.EXE + BOOTEDIT.HLP to the root of C: and ran it there, with the attributes SHR of MSDOS.SYS set to on and off, same error message. Unofficial updates can probably be excluded, but I currently can't check with an opsys selection which just has a virgin Win98SE installed, this computer is busy with a long download.

From the name of the program "BOOTEDIT" I would speculate that it also tries to modify the boot sector (if it does, then BOOTEDIT would be useless to me). System Commander swaps in its own boot code, so perhaps the error message by BOOTEDIT is misleading and BOOTEDIT doesn't find something in the System Commander boot record.

Edited by Multibooter

I don't have a (working) router in my house, connection goes through a GPRS modem (ZTE MF-190 or something). No clue on the hardware used by my ISP along the way.

Your modem http://www.alibaba.c..._modem.html?s=p seems to be recent. Perhaps changing your FTP settings (bigger local cache, I increased mine from 4096KB to 40960KB) could help if the files not downloaded were big files, as I would speculate. Or repeat the download for just the missing files. Or try another modem, maybe the FTP of your modem doesn't work with the hardware of your ISP...

The modem is under lease from the ISP, on subscription and alternatives are much more expensive and less advantageous, something I can't afford. :(

FlashGet never had trouble downloading big files over HTTP or other protocols, but one never knows. Not sure if there's any such FTP cache setting in FG.

@Drugwash - the POINT of my post is to save you some hassle - MY LIST IS ACCURATE! By REPLICATING the List on YOUR downloads and LINE COMPARING, you have what you need to "correct" your download. I do NOT have TC, and DirPrt is... FREE!!! (Not sure about TC but you DO get the point, don't you?).

WHY should ANYONE "browse a list" when the Method I indicated will yield ONLY NECESSARY "FIXES"? After all I didn't suggest "browsing" ANYTHING! I could easily use my method for Comparison against ANY "version" of the ResKit (Much like BeyondCompare)! BTW, I also have DirPrudence for Directory/File comparisons and CompareIt for contents comparisons (hence "Tool of your choice").

Well, the tool of my choice is TC and what you do with a dozen separate apps I can do with only one, provided any necessary plug-ins (which are mostly freeware/open-source) are installed and properly configured.

To the point: the list you provided has the same format as my .lst, only it has the extra MD5/CRC that the TC plug-in DiskDirExtended doesn't provide. Even so, changing file extension from .txt to .lst allows me to browse the folder tree in your list - difference is that date and time will be zero. The point of this "browsing" is to have a direct visual of the folder tree structure, as opposed to a long list of files and folders in a hard-to-define order. Other than that, to each their own.

Please note I am not directly interested in the Reskit itself - as I can build my own tools when necessary - but more in the quirks of FTP downloading and other side-effects of this exercise. If anything, we just share personal experience. Thanks for your input so far.

FlashGet never had trouble downloading big files over HTTP or other protocols, but one never knows. Not sure if there's any such FTP cache setting in FG.
I like the download log of FlashGet. Downloading a whole FTP site (e.g. 2000 files), instead of just a few files, clutters up this log, so FlashGet doesn't appeal to me for this task. After downloading with FlashGet, the left pane of FlashGet started to fill up with lots of subdirectories, which take quite some time to delete again.

I haven't found a setting in FlashGet for changing the cache size, but there are so many settings, and getting FlashGet to work with this FTP site and hardware, may turn into a learning exercise, by trial-and-error :(

BTW, adding in -> Tools -> Site Explorer -> Tools -> Site Explorer Options into the field FTP Extra List Command (after "-la", with a leading space) "-T" (or "-lT"??, "l" of (L)IST) may perhaps have an impact on file dates. Under Beyond Compare v2.5.3 I have selected this parameter for "Complete Time", together with "-a" for "Show Hidden". I am not sure about the FTP commands, "-L" stands for "Resolve Links" in the Beyond Compare (I have not selected this setting). Maybe an FTP expert can find parameters which may help.

Edited by Multibooter

Please note I am not directly interested in the Reskit itself - as I can build my own tools when necessary - but more in the quirks of FTP downloading and other side-effects of this exercise. If anything, we just share personal experience. Thanks for your input so far.

@dencorso: Do you think it would be helpful to add a subtitle to this topic, like: "from an interesting FTP site"? This would cover the 2 sub-topics discussed here.

I like the download log of FlashGet. Downloading a whole FTP site (e.g. 2000 files), instead of just a few files, clutters up this log, so FlashGet doesn't appeal to me for this task. After downloading with FlashGet, the left pane of FlashGet started to fill up with lots of subdirectories, which take quite some time to delete again.
In the left-hand pane right-click on "Downloaded", click "New Category". Now when you Download, change the "Category" and all will show up under that one. It's how to "organize"... otherwise, everything by default shows up under "Downloaded" (and "Default Download Location" is "C:\Downloads"). Right-Click on that newly-created Category to change the "Default Download Location" (of which the default is "C:\Downloads\CategoryFolderName").

There is no such thing as a "Cache"... Files/Folders are directly allocated and directly "copied" There is no "intermediate" - does NOT work like Windows FTP "copy" (which uses your "TEMP" directory). Download any LARGE file and watch it "allocate" that space pre-download.

The only "cache" (per se) that I know of is the MTU in the Router (if using one) and TCP/IP settings. I've used TCP Optimizer to increase throughput on the OS.

As far as the "Extra Commands", I'd venture to say that since FlashGet is using proprietary HTTP/FTP methods that '-la" means List using Any Installed Protocol (ref. this also this).

HTH

Windows 98 Resource Kit Beta Release

There is also an earlier version v98.0.1.110 of the Win98 Resource Kit. The CD creation date is 22-Jan-1998. The tools on it are nearly all different versions from those on the Book CD and from the FTP site.

I have attached a scan of the CD, from my collection. I have also added a screen shot of the beta version to posting #120 , for easier comparison.

post-183045-0-18342400-1339199989_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter

Windows 98 Resource Kit Beta Release

There is also an earlier version v98.0.1.110 of the Win98 Resource Kit. The CD creation date is 22-Jan-1998. The tools on it are nearly all different versions from those on the Book CD and from the FTP site.

I have attached a scan of the CD, from my collection. I have also added a screen shot of the beta version to posting #120 , for easier comparison.

Multibooter,

Do you know what it means (on the CD in the screenshot) when it says that it "expires" on 12/31/98?

--JorgeA

Do you know what it means (on the CD in the screenshot) when it says that it "expires" on 12/31/98?

Hi JorgeA,

Only the Windows 98 Beta 3 operating system installation expires, not the Windows 98 Resource Kit. The tool apps can all run as standalone and don't expire.

I have attached a screen shot of the Tools Management Console BETA. The About screen says "Version 1.0 Release". In contrast, the About screen of the Book CD and of the FTP version says "Microsoft ® Management Console 1.2".

In the screen shot there is also "Cfgback", a tool neither on the Book CD nor in the FTP version. The Beta version appears in the Add-Remove list as "Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit", the Book CD and the FTP versions as "Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit Tools".

The printed book has printed on the cover "Special Limited Edition! Includes Windows 98 Beta 3 (Time-Limited Beta Preview)". The back of the book states: "The Microsoft 98 Resource Kit, Beta release, is the first full technical överwiew for corporate administrators and support professionals evaluating Windows 98 for their organizations." The Beta CD includes a special WIN98RK.HLP for the utilities on the Beta CD, but does not include an eBook version (.CHM) of the printed Resource Kit.

post-183045-0-43704300-1339231527_thumb.

post-183045-0-58449000-1339231550_thumb.

Edited by Multibooter