Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Win98 Resource Kit

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

egrabrych

egrabrych

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 27-May 10

Donator

I have added the KILL.EXE to the Service Pack, but it doesn't have its original attributes. Can someone help me?
I don't want to download a file just to download a file. :realmad:

1) Open "My Computer".
2) In the "Address", type:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/DIAGNOSE/
3) For Kill.exe file use the command "Copy to Folder".

You will receive a file with the following parameters:
Created: February 26, 1997 1:53:00 PM
Modified: February 26, 1997 1:53:00 PM
Only "Last opened" will be the current date and time.

Alternatively, use this: http://www.petges.lu/download/

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

egrabrych

egrabrych

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 27-May 10

Donator

The list of files and folders contained on the CD "Windows 98 Resource Kit" - in alphabetical order (TXT file compressed in ZIP archive): Attached File  Win98rkb.zip   11.11KB   5 downloads

Maybe someone of you will come in handy :)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I have added the KILL.EXE to the Service Pack, but it doesn't have its original attributes. Can someone help me?
I don't want to download a file just to download a file. :realmad:

1) Open "My Computer".
2) In the "Address", type:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/DIAGNOSE/
3) For Kill.exe file use the command "Copy to Folder".

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
(sigh..) ONE... MORE... TIME!!!!

win98=bad/ Win98=good

What is the INSISTENCE with using the BAD folder name?? You WILL get... ERRORS!!!!!

@PROBLEMCHYLD (for the record)

I have Copied BOTH "folders"...

Go back and note the the ScreenShot "proofs" I had previously provided. The problem with Windows Explorer method is it is... SLOOOOOWWW!!!! (I had already said that was how I did it.)

I repeat... FG1.73 (the LAST good version, that Multibooter found on the WayBack) is ABSOLUTELY GOOD!!! I REFUSE to repeat this "test" to prove it... AGAIN! Apparently, GetRight (as Charlotte so aptly pointed out) does a GRAND job of even correcting the "dual folder Up vs low case" glitch.

BeyondCompare OBVIOUSLY has a BUG! I had already SAID that!

And to CONFIRM the correct set after download, GET Karen's DirPrt, RUN it, EDIT OUT the list I gave and YOUR run (the ROOT folder names), and do a File Contents Compare - if they match, YOU ARE DONE!!!!!

JEEZ, this is getting..... RIDICULOUS! Use what has been PROVEN to "work" and quit screwing around! BC is BROKEN for your immediate purpose!!!! FG (and maybe GetRight, and PROBABLY as LoneCrusader's FileZilla) are NOT!!!!!

How many people have to PROVE the FileCount/Hashes to get the point across? (thx, rloew and LoneCrusader for further confirmation)

COOK THE HORSE ON A SPIT - IT'S DEAD - LET'S EAT!!!!

Note on RK98book.chm/chi set - As noted, the ONLY advantage is the "hook" into the CHI (Compiled Help Index). Otherwise, You are GOLD! (YES, I said I have it...).

As the "exercise/diet queen" Susan Powter once said "STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!"

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Multibooter, I really have to agree with submix8c. Since you have determined that BC is both slow and does not completely download all the files, why do you seem to want to continue to use it? Just to get the folders to have the "correct" date? Why? So what? What purpose does that serve? The beauty of having so many program options to use for a task is that you can use the one that is best suited to that task. You don't have to force a tool to work the way you want if there is another tool available. And egrabrych provided you a link to "Attribute Changer" (for XP and above) that can change the folder dates to what you want them to be, if you insist. I'm sure there is probably an earlier version of the app, or a different app, that will work on Win98, but I haven't looked. Continue to use BC for the main purpose it was intended, file comparison, and use a more appropriate tool for file download.

And it seems that it is now agreed that the folders we see with "misspellings" are false positives, which usually disappear upon app refresh, so we don't need to continue to bring up that aspect anymore either.

As interesting as this side excursion has been, again I agree with submix8c - this horse is dead. Can we now move on to something else?

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

cyberformer

cyberformer

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 16-September 05
Well, I downloaded it using Filezilla on my XP PC...and installed it on 98 Second Edition.
I chose the "typical" install, and it did just that.
After casually exploring this Resource Kit, I've come to the conclusion that:
It has the potential once mastered, to turn the 98 Neophyte user.... into an Adept 98 user!
Seems like it is intended to give a person mastery of the 98 system...
so far as manipulating the various facets of said system.
All in all---quite nice!

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08
The most important part of this posting is the attached screen shot.

Since you have determined that BC is both slow and does not completely download all the files....

I was referring to old Beyond Compare v2.5.3, the last version to run under Win98SE. I have downloaded Ok all 2382 files and 91 folders of ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ with Beyond Compare v3.3.3 of 28-Oct-2011. Beyond Compare 3 reported during its initial download that 4 files were not downloaded because of a semaphore timeout error. 2 of these missing files were downloaded individually Ok by Beyond Compare v3 after 1 repeat, 1 file after 2 repeats, and 1 file (30MB) after 3 repeats.

Beyond Compare v3.3.3 has an acceptable speed, it permits up to 10 simultaneous connections, old v2.5.3 permits only one download at a time.

If the old FTP module in Beyond Compare v2.5.3 (sfFTPLib.dll v1.5.8.23 of 24-Aug-2006 by SmartFTP) can be replaced with a newer, Win98-compatible version, maybe the FTP of old v2.5.3 (of 14-Jul-2008) will perform under Win98 like the newer v3.3.3. under WinXP, except for the folder dates and the lower speed.

... why do you seem to want to continue to use it [Beyond Compare]? Just to get the folders to have the "correct" date? Why? So what? What purpose does that serve?

1 ) A true copy of my websites on my HDD
My main use of FTP software is to update my websites. I keep copies of my websites on my HDD, and I also archive my websites with WinRAR whenever I make changes to them. I do want to have on my HDD and in my archive exactly what was on my server at a specific point in time, and folder dates tell me when I uploaded a folder.

2 ) Forensic accuracy.
If I make a copy of something, it should BE a real copy, not LOOK like a real copy. Examples:

A ) UltraISO v9.3.6.2750, when creating an iso image of a CD/DVD with bad sectors, fills the iso with zeroes where it encountered bad sectors on the CD/DVD, without giving any messages about it.

B ) FileZilla v3.5.3, when it downloads files from this bad FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ and gets a transmission error just in the file dates, but not in the content of the file, continues without a message - and these files are saved with the current date, not with the original date

I have attached a screen shot of Beyond Compare v3.3.3. The left pane displays the set of 2382 files and 91 folders downloaded with FileZilla under WinXP, the right pane displays the same set downloaded with Beyond Compare v3.3.3 under WinXP. It is interesting to note that FileZilla substituted the current date for the 4 files marked red, without a message, while the other files in the folder \BATCH\ have the server date. Compare also the time (seconds) of the folder date and of these 4 red files. If I had not downloaded these 2382 files with Beyond Compare v3.3.3 and had not made this comparison, I would never have known that some of the files that FileZilla returned had incorrect file dates.

if your FTP client got already stoned by just looking at all these goodies at MS, can you be sure that the files it brought back are good?

BTW, the screen shot is the initial display by Beyond Compare, when it just compares file/folder dates and sizes. The displayed colors change again after Beyond Compare made a binary compare of the content of the files/folders.

And egrabrych provided you a link to "Attribute Changer" (for XP and above) that can change the folder dates to what you want them to be, if you insist.

I am using Total Commander under Win98 and WinXP for changing dates.

Continue to use BC for the main purpose it was intended, file comparison, and use a more appropriate tool for file download.

Beyond Compare is NOT a specialized program. It is among my 5 most used programs with many uses. I use it most for file manipulations instead of Windows Explorer, for file cleanup and deleting duplicates and as a hex viewer, but there are so many other uses. I recently used it to recover data from CDs/DVDs with bad sectors, and now it's my top FTP software, at least under WinXP.

Edited by Multibooter, 01 June 2012 - 01:05 AM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 812 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

1 ) A true copy of my websites on my HDD
My main use of FTP software is to update my websites. I keep copies of my websites on my HDD, and I also archive my websites with WinRAR whenever I make changes to them. I do want to have on my HDD and in my archive exactly what was on my server at a specific point in time, and folder dates tell me when I uploaded a folder.

2 ) Forensic accuracy.
If I make a copy of something, it should BE a real copy, not LOOK like a real copy. Examples:

A ) UltraISO v9.3.6.2750, when creating an iso image of a CD/DVD with bad sectors, fills the iso with zeroes where it encountered bad sectors on the CD/DVD, without giving any messages about it.

B ) FileZilla v3.5.3, when it downloads files from this bad FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ and gets a transmission error just in the file dates, but not in the content of the file, continues without a message - and these files are saved with the current date, not with the original date

For the record I do sympathize with you on this. ;)

I have often been irritated by downloaded files not having their original file attributes, as it is useful for version control or to differentiate between different sets of files with the same name downloaded from different sources. (Example - recently I was searching for the absolute oldest USB2 driver stack that existed, with the hope of finding a stack that could be loaded on Windows 95. I found several older stacks on various FTP sites (files dated late 2001- early 2002) that I needed to keep organized by their original attributes, but when downloading, the dates were naturally set to the current date. Very frustrating, and an organizational nightmare! :wacko: )

As you encountered file timeout errors, I would suggest setting your software to only download one file at a time, especially for "forensic accuracy." My FileZilla was set to download one file at a time, and I encountered no timeouts or errors of any kind. (Of course it is possible that there were unreported issues, as you pointed out.) If this does not prevent the errors and/or changed attributes, then I would suggest trying to re-download the affected files separately.

Foxbat

Foxbat

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11

... Beyond Compare v2.5.3, the last version to run under Win98SE.

You don't have to stick to version 2.5.3. Beyond Compare 3.x works under Windows 98SE. The minimum OS requirement for Beyond Compare 3.x is Windows 95 OSR2. http://www.scooterso...p?zz=kb_windows

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08

... Beyond Compare v2.5.3, the last version to run under Win98SE.

You don't have to stick to version 2.5.3. Beyond Compare 3.x works under Windows 98SE. The minimum OS requirement for Beyond Compare 3.x is Windows 95 OSR2. http://www.scooterso...p?zz=kb_windows

No idea how I assumed that v2.5.3 was the last version to run under Win98!! Thanks a lot for the information.

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08

As you encountered file timeout errors, I would suggest setting your software to only download one file at a time... My FileZilla was set to download one file at a time, and I encountered no timeouts or errors of any kind.

When I downloaded with FileZilla I had the setting of 4 simultaneous transfers, maybe this caused the file date errors.

FileZilla is my second choice as FTP software, and I will keep it installed, just like I keep several browsers. It's good to have a 2nd FTP client to repeat a download In case there are any issues.

Edited by Multibooter, 02 June 2012 - 03:00 PM.

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08
There is also a security patch for the Windows 98 Resource Kit:
"Patch for Tools Management Console's TaskPad Scripting Vulnerability "
description: http://technet.micro...lletin/ms99-007
downloads: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win98/taskpads/

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Well, this Topic has gone WAYYYY off-topic.

It has now become about "What version of X allows for an exact replicate of a Website or Website Folder for the potential purpose of forensic analysis using MS' FTP site as an experimental source, particularly when using X on Windows 98"...

Is that an accurate assessment?

BTW, I am so happy that you are finally happy...

Posted Image

egrabrych

egrabrych

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 27-May 10

Donator

And egrabrych provided you a link to "Attribute Changer" (for XP and above) that can change the folder dates to what you want them to be, if you insist.

"Attribute Changer" v.6.20 is functioning correctly in Windows 98SE (+ KernelEx 4.5.2).
At least with me :)

But there are problems with the changes attributes of the files in multi-level folders structures (also in Windows XP) - but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

egrabrych

egrabrych

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 27-May 10

Donator

Hmm ... That may Let's discuss why Kill.exe (with Win98RK; PROBLEMCHYLD added it to the SP3.1), not Process Explorer (from Sysinternals)?
:)

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,951 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I use both. However, kill.exe/tlist.exe are small command-line utilities, which can be used for fast kills and multiple kills.
Process Explorer is an overkill, for those purposes. :yes:

Ex.: open five instances of IE (not five tabs). Then issue the command "kill iexplore", from the DOS box.
Process Explorer is sophisticated, but, AFAIK, cannot do that. Or can it? :unsure:

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08

I beg to disagree. The topic, in my view, has two subjects:
1) The link itself
2) the content behind the link (i.e. the Win98 Resource Kit)

Here part of the initial posting #1:

I just thot maybe there should be a seperate thread for this link.
A link from microsoft containing the complete Resource Kit for Windows 98.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/

Postings #1 thru #22 are exclusively concerned with this link and the difficulties connecting to it. Posting #21 contains a red text "Link Removed by admin". Only starting with posting #22 did the attention turn to the content behind the link. I view this specific link as a test link for testing FTP software under Win98/XP, as an FTP test site, which is maybe more interesting nowadays than the apps contained in the Win98 Resource Kit.

And even if this view were incorrect, the original poster cyberthug hasn't posted for over 4 years, so I am not shooting a topic which an active member is working on. The interest of visitors when visiting this topic 8 years ago was the content, to get a free copy of the Resource Kit. But today the interest is probably more in the actual link and the problems downloading from it.

For visitors who are interested in the content behind the link: We have not yet established where the content of the FTP link actually came from. The content is not from the Book CD, and I speculated earlier that it is from the TechNet CD. But I cannot yet exclude the possibility that the content comes from a beta version of the Windows 98 Resource Kit, although I think it's unlikely. Only a binary compare of the content of the FTP site against the respective CD can provide certainty.

Edited by Multibooter, 01 June 2012 - 01:08 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
http://technet.micro...ibrary/cc805581

http://technet.micro...ibrary/cc768203

The Microsoft Windows 98 Resource Kit consists of this comprehensive volume and a single compact disc containing the Resource Kit tools and utilities that make it easier for you to get the most out of Windows 98.

http://technet.micro...y/cc767068.aspx
Looks suspiciously similar to me. ;)

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1572316446
Publication Date: January 1, 1998 | Series: Resource Kit

The bundled CD-ROM contains a collection of nifty diagnostic tools, hardware compatibility lists, card troubleshooting info, and the complete e-text of the book.

Highest dated (relevant) file is WIN98RK.CHM, which is a Guide to the Utilities on it (if you don't count the WIN98TMC.DLL). Immediately preceding (relevant) date is 04/30/1998, implying that it MIGHT have directly come from an MSDN April 1998 Release.

The FTP download is nearly identical to the Win98 (FE!) Resource kit, which lacks many files/folders (see attached).
edit - http://en.wikipedia....ki/Resource_Kit
Notice that the 98FE CD I have has only a subset (the "sample" indicated).

If I have to keep attaching things, I'll have to eventually start deleting some...

The topic, in my view, has two subjects

In my opinion, it has transmogrified. The link Removed was obviously to the MSDN and/or the Original CD. The "origins" seems like a rather pointless exercise. It APPEARS to be an "original" (based on what I just demonstrated).
edit - you'd better look back at post #21 - BANNED!

FYI - The "fix" you found appears to already be incorporated.

More info here -
http://www.betaarchi...soft:MSDN_Discs
http://www.betaarchi...998_Disc_15.jpg
I have the original PLUS!98 and am willing to BET that on the FTP site, the RK is, indeed COMPLETE!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Plus!#Microsoft_Plus.21_98
Many (if not ALL) Plus!98 files are also on the FTP site (if you know what to look for).

Attached Files

Edited by submix8c, 01 June 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,951 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I have the original 1998 CD (MS Part No. 097-0001929; CDFS Volume Descriptor Info: Volume ID = WIN98RK ; Created in 04/29/1998 05:00 PM at GMT-7).

In it, there are:

WIN98RK.CHM: 311,429 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 04/30/1998 06:42 PM;
MD5 = 0B09352FEDD03880F1FA12E80054EF8A; SHA1= D9A395FDD555F2D788A4E406C54192B7C0A39545.

KILL.EXE: 118,524 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 02/26/1997 05:53 PM;
MD5 = AFEA8821723BB98D71FB7CB4E6493AF6; SHA1= 813F554FCA4C4F010C98A1DF452102681F5FC645.

TLIST.EXE: 114,240 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 02/26/1997 05:53 PM;
MD5 = 899A994BC23753643937C344FF5FB9DF; SHA1= 5F713A1B800E3A7AD53B34A6833B4B771FD4FB10.

USBVIEW.EXE: 69,120 bytes; Date/Time Modified = 03/11/1998 12:20 AM;
MD5 = 10FD1035B333FE53068DC358181664B3; SHA1= 08E4C34BF8722DD41A33E9DD38E7EEE4915611C1.

Now, since the last three are PE executables, I can say more about them:

KILL.EXE: PE Timestamp = 3314B0EC -> Wed Feb 26 18:53:48 1997; File Version = <none>;
stated PE Checksum = 00027E4C; calculated PE Checksum = 00027E4C.

TLIST.EXE: PE Timestamp = 3314B0EC -> Wed Feb 26 18:53:48 1997; File Version = <none>;
stated PE Checksum = 000294A8; calculated PE Checksum = 000294A8.

USBVIEW.EXE: PE Timestamp = 35061116 -> Wed Mar 11 01:20:38 1998; File Version = 4.10.0.1710;
stated PE Checksum = 00000000; calculated PE Checksum = 0001BFC6.

Now, since KILL.EXE and TLIST.EXE are Checksummed PE Executables, I can demonstrate they aren't corrupt, by comparing the stated checksum (in the so-called "Optional Header", which is not optional) with a newly calculated checksum. But this is not always the case, as illustrated by USBVIEW.EXE, which has no stated checksum (or 00000000 as the stated checksum, to be punctilious).

In any case, I've installed the WIN98RK in my system partition, just after finishing windows installation and update. My current installation was performed in 11/13/2001. Those four files I mentioned above are identical in the original CD and in my system partition, so I think it very probable that both WIN98RK.CHM and USBVIEW.EXE are not corrupt either.

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08
The Windows 98 Resource Kit from the FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ is quite different from that on the the book CD.

I have put all the stuff from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ into an iso container, with file and folder dates exactly as on the server. When mounted and run the FTP-iso comes up with a different menu from that of the book CD, see the attached screen shots.
Left: Beta CD, Reskit98 v98.0.1.110
Center: Book CD, Reskit98 v98.0.1.118
Right: FTP-CD, Reskit98 v98.0.1.119

Attached Files

Edited by Multibooter, 08 June 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08
Windows 98 Resource Kit under Windows XP

The Windows 98 Resource Kit Sampler is one of the pieces of software which canNOT be immediately installed under Windows XP SP2, at least from the CD. When I double-clicked under WinXP on V:\tools\reskit\setup.exe on the Win98SE CD, I got the attached error message.

The same error message comes up under WinXP when trying to install from the mounted iso created from the FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/ , when trying to install the full Windows 98 Resource Kit.

When setup.exe is run under WinXP from a copy on the HDD, after the properties of setup.exe were changed to Compatibility mode "Windows 98 / Windows Me", the window License Agreement comes up, instead of this error message.

Did anybody in the forum try to install the Win98 Resource Kit under Windows XP? What happened?

Attached Files

Edited by Multibooter, 02 June 2012 - 10:20 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
(sigh...)
MSDCTX86.EXE <-a carryover from Win95 (used to be on MS Website)
I have yet to find the MS Speech Suite 3.0 (as a package) <-a carryover from Win95 (used to be on MS Website)
I have found the "missing" Program
I gave a Link to the "more than likely" Original CD Source (at least the photo).
The "setup" program is just a variation of the CD-version.
edit - I did find Speech Suite 4.0 (these are SDK's, BTW)
edit - MS Agent 2.0 http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=21167
edit - v5.1 SDK http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=10121

Get (if you can) the Speech Software portions free (links inside) -
http://discuss.pcmag.../220581002.aspx
I have also found them in a ZIP (speechsystem.zip).
It's widely known that MS "charged" for the Book/CD while simultaneously "giving away" (most) of it anyway.
I'm betting that the XP "add-in" Text-To-Speech will work on 98SE (if not, probably with KEX).
edit - See above... v5.1 is compatible w/Win98

http://research.microsoft.com/stg/
The above link is... HISTORY!!!!
However,
http://web.archive.o...rosoft.com/stg/

Why is this so important to you? All this proves is that you have the Purchased CD and Book, which includes 1 additional Program and 2 additional Apps (which were STILL freely available). It has no bearing on the (still) availability of what's on the FTP for those that DID NOT purchase/acquire the CD.

Edited by submix8c, 02 June 2012 - 05:10 PM.

Posted Image

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08

I gave a Link to the "more than likely" Original CD Source (at least the photo).

Your link http://www.betaarchi...998_Disc_15.jpg in posting #118 is really a great find.

The stuff on the FTP site, however, canNOT come from this MSDN CD "0698 Part No. X03-70866", with the printed date June 1998 (see image in link), because the modification date of \SETUP\RESKIT.STF is 18-Feb-1999.

I would still bet that the content of the FTP site came from the TechNet CD "Microsoft Plus! 98, Windows® 98 Resource Kit" (Part No. X05-34597, January 2000, Disc 6) "http://web.shinmin.t.../cdtable(012000).htm", indicated in my posting #92, especially since the FTP site is in a TechNet subdirectory ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/Reskit/

So here a summary of sources of the MS Windows 98 Resource Kit identified up to now:
- Book CD
- TechNet CD
- MSDN CD

The creation date of the Book CD (April 29 or 30, 1998) and the server modification dates of the FTP version (April 29, 2010) may be coincidence. If I remember right, there was a very rare special edition CD for Windows ME.

(sigh...) .. Why is this so important to you?

Eventually some old computer stuff may turn into collectibles. Old silver CDs, readable and in pristine condition, may eventually be in demand. Most people can't keep from sighing when they hear the nonsense which stamp collectors, for example, are uttering about microscopic details on their stamps and covers http://www.ebay.com/...=item5892b86da5

Edited by Multibooter, 05 June 2012 - 01:16 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,331 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
(sigh again...)

I have located everything that you have except the "altered" ROOT Setup program to allow for the two extra folders/files. I have found the additional 38 files (less two README.TXT files in the two "missing" folders). The STF is undoubtedly identical to yours.

This doesn't make my "set" valuable. Only that I am able to nearly "replicate" the contents of your CD.

Does this count as "forensic"? Again, I don't see the point unless you actually HAVE the said CD's you keep referring to. This is kind of turning the Topic into an FYI of a different nature rather than "Get this while you can - it's better than the Stock Reskit on the 98SE CD" (of which what we have been "beating up", i.e. the FTP version, which appears to be for 98FE, but nearly identical to SE).

The Server Date of 2010 is not "coincidental"... take a look at the ROOT of the Server... MS at one time (undoubtedly that date) transferred from ServerA to ServerB by copying (maybe RoboCopy) - that DID happen... It's not "mystical"...

Posted Image

Multibooter

Multibooter

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Joined 21-March 08

"Get this while you can - it's better than the Stock Reskit on the 98SE CD"

Yes.

Versions
The version of the Win98 Resource Kit Sampler [= small extract] is indicated on the Windows 98 installation CD in \tools\reskit\setup\reskit.stf, at the top.
The Win98 FE OEM, v8.01 (11-May-1998) and v8.02 (24-Nov-1998) contain " Windows 98 Resource Kit Tools Sampler" v98.0.1.013
The Win98 SE OEM (23-Apr-1999) contains v98.0.1.014, the main difference being that in newer v98.0.1.014 TweakUI v1.25.0.0 was removed.

RK98BOOK.CHM on the FE and SE installation CDs are identical, except for the file modification dates (11-May-1998/24-Nov-1998 on FE CDs, 23-Apr-1999 on SE CD).
This means that no Resource Kit was prepared for Win98SE, and that the Resource Kit is for Win98FE. I don't know of a Resource Kit for Windows ME either.

Off topic: the main difference between the 2 versions of the Win98FE installation CDs is probably that on the later version of 24-Nov-1998 the Microsoft Java VM Installation was removed http://en.wikipedia....crosoft_Java_VM , perhaps because of the lawsuit by Sun Microsystems. The version of 24-Nov-1998 is not mentioned in the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Windows_98 The US OEM version of 11-May-1998 comes on CD "0398 Part No. X03-36182", the US OEM version of 24-Nov-1998 comes on CD "1298 Part No. X04-04214". Installing first the initial OEM Win98 FE (11-May-1998, silver front side) and then the Retail Windows 98 Second Edition Updates (CD "0499 Part No. X04-12707", greyish-blue front side) may give perhaps a more interesting flavor of Win98SE than just installing Win98SE, but I haven't tried yet.

The version of the Win98 Resource Kit [= full set of utilities] is indicated on the Book CD and on an iso made from the FTP site in \reskit\setup\reskit.stf, at the top.
The Book CD contains "Windows 98 Resource Kit" v98.0.1.118, the FTP site v98.0.1.119, i.e. the FTP site contains a newer version.
The main differences between the Book CD version and the FTP site are:
- the version at the FTP site does not contain the applet FILEWISE.EXE anymore, which is one of the Resource Kit utilities still useful in 2012
- the version at the FTP site contains already the patched WIN98TMC.DLL (is v1.0.0.1 on Book CD, v1.1.0.2 at the FTP site)
(see MS Security Bulletin MS99-007 http://technet.micro...lletin/ms99-007 ; this patch can update the installation from the Book CD)

I would speculate that the MSDN CD "0698 [=June98] Part No. X03-70866" (see posting #123) contains the same "Windows 98 Resource Kit" v98.0.1.118 as the Book CD (earlier CD creation date 29-Apr-1998); the next higher v119 (of the FTP version) contains the updated WIN98TMC.DLL of 14-Jan-1999.

The version number of the installed Resource Kit is indicated in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MS Setup (ACME)\Table Files

The apps in the install-tos of the Book CD and of the FTP version are identical except for the missing FILEWISE.EXE and the updated Resource Kit Console (TMC). The file time (and some file names) of the apps on the installation source (Book CD, FTP site) differ from those in the respective install-to.

I have attached a screen shot displaying that the Resource Kit installer (both v118 and v119) detects somehow a downloaded instance of the FTP version, stored in a separate location, as an older version, which may be phoney. Detection may have been also based on junk in the registry, left over from a previous installation. The uninstall of the Windows 98 Resource Kit is not clean, it leaves quite a bit of junk in the registry. The installation of the Resource Kit may have slowed down Firefox a little bit under Win98, but I am not certain about this. In any case I will NOT install the Windows 98 Resource Kit on my clean Win98 system. The apps contained in the Resource Kit, if needed, can be run as standalone. The book (best from the MSDN version) is a must-have on a Win98 system. The apps, however, are only nice-to-have (in the archive, in case a need arises), FILEWISE.EXE may be an exception.

I experimented with FILEWISE.EXE (only on the Book CD). It is v4.1 (file version 4.98.4.1500) and possibly useful to analyse/document stuff on the HDD or on a CD/DVD. For example, the information about all files (e.g. size, CRC, file version, Language, code page, etc) in the \Windows\ folder, or several folders on a CD/DVD etc, can be easily displayed and sorted and then be exported, via a tab-delimited file, into Excel 2000. This seems to be quite useful for documenting the location of various file versions, or to find weird stuff on the computer (e.g. DLLs with Chinese language on a US system, DLLs with strange code pages, and what not else that has accumulated over the years).

Another applet, BOOTEDIT.EXE, seems to be interesting, it supposedly modifies MSDOS.SYS for various boot settings, but when I ran it, I just got the error message "Could not set attributes on file. See help for information". Any ideas?

The Server Date of 2010 is not "coincidental"... take a look at the ROOT of the Server... MS at one time (undoubtedly that date) transferred from ServerA to ServerB by copying (maybe RoboCopy) - that DID happen... It's not "mystical"...

Interesting. Does somebody in the forum have an old download with earlier server/folder dates?

Attached Files

Edited by Multibooter, 05 June 2012 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users