winnt.sif.txt not working

Hi all i'm pretty new at this caper and trying without avail to expand my mind i'm going for an xp sp2 unattended with a few tweeks and progs thrown in to save me some time on formats.... the problem i'm having is probably simple however here goes - i've finished my cd(DVD actually!!) with office etc thrown in have checked off the winnnt.sif against the guide and all seems correct, i have the start.cmd setup and nothing is happening just a normal xp install????

any ideas i have had a good look around for tips but can't seem to find anything :blushing:

Hi all i'm pretty new at this caper and trying without avail to expand my mind i'm going for an xp sp2 unattended with a few tweeks and progs thrown in to save me some time on formats.... the problem i'm having is probably simple however here goes - i've finished my cd(DVD actually!!) with office etc thrown in have checked off the winnnt.sif against the guide and all seems correct, i have the start.cmd setup and nothing is happening just a normal xp install????

any ideas i have had a good look around for tips but can't seem to find anything :blushing:

What exactly are you getting?

• A normal attended Windows install?
  • A normal unattended install of Windows without any additional programs?
  • Some other possibility that I haven't thought of?

I had a quick look at your winnt.sif file and everything looked okay to me. Please clarify your issue so that we can troubleshoot it more accurately. :)

And please read Astalavista's post and/or my PM, they both relate to the same thing.

I've created the uA answer file got a cmdlines.txt and start.cmd done all as in the guide then i've thrown a few progs such as office etc in.

i'm booting from the disk and wanting it to just run , however it is just installing like the cd none of the uA stuff is working... i'm getting to the press enter key then that's it???

Like i say i'm new at this and haven't a clue what's wrong

:wacko:

Try name your winnt.sif in capital letters, insert it into your I386 directory, and give it another try. Hopefully your raid drivers entry is correct. With any luck.....

I do not understand this line though?

i'm getting to the press enter key then that's it???

It seems the key has been removed now.

BTW, millington_lee, please read point-12 in rules - give a topic title that describes what you want to be helped with. (otherwise everyone might just skip what you have posted)

As for your problem, the reason why your uA stuff is not working, is simple enough. Please take a look at what you have named your file - winnt.sif.txt

whereas it is supposed to be named as "winnt.sif" (you have an extra extension).

I have a Motherboard with Intel chipset. Also have the Raid feature. I need to install raid drivers if I want to use the Raid feature. Raid is like an optional feature, depending on the motherboard you buy.

ALTHOUGH I'M NEW TO THIS I DO KNOW HOW TO READ A GUIDE, i'll just point to this on the green machine guide where i got my sata info from....

Most of this information can be derived from the .INF file name of your driver. Replace Si3112 with the that name (less the extension) in the example above. The remaining information, the PCI strings and the Driver Name, can be found in your TXTSETUP.OEM file.

Anyway thanks for the help for those who were helping and not just taking the p***

i've changed the .sif.txt to .sif no joy - what i meant by get to the enter screen is...

i put the disc in allowing to boot from cd-rom then get to the menu with f3 enter or escape (i think) nothing happens from there i have to go thru all the selections therefore not unattended!!!

Any ideas i'm going mad :wacko:

@millington_lee

First, don't bother about the RAID for now - isn't it useless when even the basic unattend feature isn't yet working?

For the winnt.sif, check that it is placed in the I386 folder.

If it still doesn't work, you can try starting from scratch once again. If the time it takes to do it all again is frightening, then don't do it! We all had to do plenty of testing and trouble-shooting and it took weeks and months to have the disk the way it was needed to be.

ALTHOUGH I'M NEW TO THIS I DO KNOW HOW TO READ A GUIDE, i'll just point to this on the green machine guide where i got my sata info from....

Most of this information can be derived from the .INF file name of your driver. Replace Si3112 with the that name (less the extension) in the example above. The remaining information, the PCI strings and the Driver Name, can be found in your TXTSETUP.OEM file.

Anyway thanks for the help for those who were helping and not just taking the p***

i've changed the .sif.txt to .sif no joy - what i meant by get to the enter screen is...

i put the disc in allowing to boot from cd-rom then get to the menu with f3 enter or escape (i think) nothing happens from there i have to go thru all the selections therefore not unattended!!!

Any ideas i'm going mad  :wacko:

the greenmachine guide tells you to edit TXTSETUP.SIF NOT WINNT.SIF

Just remove those entries form your WINNT.SIF file. try making it capitalized as well.