Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Add 'Find Target' to Right Click...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Oh_Kay

Oh_Kay

TechnoBabe

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Hi guys,

Im looking for a way to add the 'find target' command to my 'right click / contextual menu' in windows XP SP2, Im all googled out and can't find jack on the subject of this particular mod...

Anyone out there come across that one ? or can you suggest a way I may find it using RegShot or what ever that app is called ?

Any help is appreciated.

Kay

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,888 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Very hard Kay and I never saw it posted before. :no: Its a dll call btw.
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

Tsunami

Tsunami

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Joined 05-March 04
Well, the first result on Google seems to work fine. You have to register to get it though, but that's done quickly.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,888 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Tsunami Guess you right if you looking to install another dll.
NOT for me.
Surely theres a way to make that dll call to the existing dll.
Then its a tweak
Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

Oh_Kay

Oh_Kay

TechnoBabe

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
maxXPsoft : Nice to see your still a regular here, I don't get around these parts as much as I used to ;)

Thanks for your input on this one, I didn't realise it was a dll call, I dunno nothing about dll's so I would never have thought to look down that road...

Tsunami: WOW ! I Googled till I could Google no more on that one, I can't imagine what you typed in to get that result, but a huge THANKS !!

From reading that link, the author of that code had the same problem I now have and had to resort to writing something to do the job, and while Im not nuts about adding something else to the system when I don't know what it does, I really want the functionality of this one... so until something better comes along, Im gonna run with it...

Seasons Greetings to one and all.

Kay

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
deleted
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts
  • Joined 13-October 04

Donator

Google search criteria was "find target" context

filthy_mcnasty

filthy_mcnasty
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05
a buddy of mine recently asked me to write him a program to do this and the first step of doing so is researching exactly how it's done and i've come across an even more simple way than an entire program.......so i realize this post here is old news but maybe this will help someone out in the future.......

you can use a registry hack like this to add "Find Target" to the context menu for every single file type and directory....cant seem to get this to work for just shortcut (.lnk) files (there really is no point in "find target" if you're looking at the file right?) but hopefully this will point someone in the right direction.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target]
@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target\command]
@="\"explorer.exe\" /select,\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target]
@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target\command]

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,888 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
filthy_mcnasty
Perhaps it don't work since .lnk is a normally hidden extension. I know theres a reg tweak to turn them into not hidden but it makes things look nasty lol

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05
Target Folder Opener

Link Open
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

TiredLion

TiredLion
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-August 05
Hello.

Oh_key, I'm afraid you won't find such a registry hack for .lnk files. As far as I know you need to load the shelllink and resolve it. After this you'll be able to find the target object. At least Context Magic doing so. I agree with maxXPsoft, you'll need a .dll.

Have a nice day,
Leonid

Oh_Kay

Oh_Kay

TechnoBabe

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Wow, I started this thread 9 months ago, and here I am again, after a reinstall, looking for the method to add this back in to my windows all over again, it's the feature I just can't live without !!

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I have been using the first soloution from Code Project for months now and it works fine, so thats what I will be using again.

It would be nice if there was an easeir way to implement it rather than adding a DLL file, but thats up to Microsoft to add this feature in to their next OS (hint hint)

:)

Kay

MHz

MHz

Just simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 02-August 04

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target]
@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Find.Target\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target]
@="&Find Target"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Find.Target\command]

The long wait is over. Enjoy. ;)

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
hmmm, doesnt work for me...in using it from cmd window, this is just used to select the file in a explorer window

Edited by evilvoice, 18 September 2005 - 11:35 PM.

When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts
  • Joined 13-October 04

Donator

You could always use 'target' from Windows 95 Power Toys, (it still works on XP).

It should be available from JSI,Inc - tip 8336

MHz

MHz

Just simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 02-August 04

hmmm, doesnt work for me...in using it from cmd window, this is just used to select the file in a explorer window

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Driving a car from the back seat is unworkable also. Half-hearted attempts mean little. I do not call the command interpreter from the registry to run it. :huh:
Find Target opens explorer to select the file that the shortcut points to. So what is the difference between the RegTweak and the one in shortcut tab in properties?
It does require displaying to only *.lnk files which the RegTweak needs to be improved upon.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Driving a car from the back seat is unworkable also. Half-hearted attempts mean little. I do not call the command interpreter from the registry to run it. :huh:
Find Target opens explorer to select the file that the shortcut points to. So what is the difference between the RegTweak and the one in shortcut tab in properties?
It does require displaying to only *.lnk files which the RegTweak needs to be improved upon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the added portion of the command window was an extra attempt on my part to see if it worked...I really wish it did, but it does not...using the find target in props works fine...just this reg tweak does not. I copied your code directly into a reg entry, merged it, right click on a lnk file, selected find target and it takes me to where the lnk file is (which is All Users Desktop), whereas find target in props takes me to C:\ and highlights the folder.

Edited by evilvoice, 19 September 2005 - 05:43 AM.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts
  • Joined 13-October 04

Donator

Here's an alternative, instead of using explorer to go to a folder containing the target, it just pops up a message box.First create this file and save it as %SystemRoot%\system32\GeTarget.vbs
MsgBox CreateObject("WScript.Shell").CreateShortcut(WScript.Arguments (0)).TargetPath
The above should all be on one line.Now paste this into Start » Run and click OK
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\lnkfile\Shell\Find Target\command" /ve /d "wscript.exe \"%SystemRoot%\system32\GeTarget.vbs\" \"%1\"" /f
This should be all one line also.

Now right click any shortcut and choose Find Target

praveenkumar_ht

praveenkumar_ht

• 10 posts
  • Joined 12-November 04
Take a look at this file,just run it

code used from filthy_mcnasty's Post

:thumbup find target

it worked for me, i'm using winxp with SP2 :hello: :hello: :hello:

Edited by praveenkumar_ht, 19 September 2005 - 07:40 AM.

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts
  • Joined 13-October 04

Donator

@ praveenkumar_ht

The Microsoft file I linked to at JSI, works, as does my vbs method above your reply, as also does this, also c/o JSI.

Incidentally MHZ's code is identical to that already given by filthy_mcnasty

clavicle

clavicle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 28-January 04
I have got this file findtarget.dll which I downloaded from some very good coding site, (I don't remember which).
I use the ua cd to register it in my sytem32 folder using
regsvr32.exe /s "%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\FINDTARGET.DLL"

It gives me what you all are looking for, working in Winxp Pro.

If you need it, I am not sure if I can post it, I will send it (small size 6.36kb)

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,534 posts
  • Joined 13-October 04

Donator

@ clavicle

The dll file is probably the one in use already the original questioner, Oh_Kay.

However the Microsoft PowerToys file I linked to is also a dll file.

The only problem with both of these examples is that we would prefer not to use a dll file.

Not that there is anything wrong in you offering your file, just that it seems that the thread is re-covering old ground again, with little new being added.

clavicle

clavicle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Joined 28-January 04
@Yzöwl
Curosity kills the cat! I didn't go into details, may be the file is same, in fact I wanted to end the hunt by offering a tested solution. Thanks!

dubbin

dubbin
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 24-October 05
Hi all,

I stumbled on this thread (and forum!) from google, and this is my first post, but I just wanted to report that I have combined the suggestions of MHz and Yzöwl into the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\lnkfile\Shell\Find Target\command]

(save as plain text with the extension .REG, and run it)

This seems to work for me in XP, with no need for additional DLLs. Thanks to everyone in the thread for the ingredients!

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

@ clavicle

The dll file is probably the one in use already the original questioner, Oh_Kay.

However the Microsoft PowerToys file I linked to is also a dll file.

The only problem with both of these examples is that we would prefer not to use a dll file.

Not that there is anything wrong in you offering your file, just that it seems that the thread is re-covering old ground again, with little new being added.

Indeed

Target Folder Opener

Link Open

Of course they are both in Japanese but you just have to tweak the context menu entry to put it in english.

Edited by eidenk, 24 October 2005 - 01:19 PM.

Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN