routers and anyother kit?

FthrJACK

i use linksys,basic setups are fairly simple,if you are going to set up any type of server or ftp server,thats a little bit tougher,btu if i can do it,i'm sure you can too(just my opinion on routers):)

FthrJACK,

You have seen my setup, its very relyable and cheap...

All depends on how many ports you want i suppose, if you just get the Linksys cable/DSL router you will have four ports and an uplink to another hub or switch...

The router has a firewall built in which works together with zone alarm, and you can set it to DHCP or configure seperate IP's

I also use mine to connect to my compay VPN which gets me a secure conection right into my company network which is why i work from home...why go into the office when you can do everything from the comfort of your armchair unless its to get a free copy of XP.....

Regards,

BAH

yeah your network looks the dogs bah :)

im thinking of getting a laptop second hand too and having a wireless part to the network so i can use the net in other rooms cos im a lazy fat-a** hehe

i was looking at linksys stuff.. and i think u guys have made up my mind :rolleyes: thnx

Tris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

as most people said, Linksys is pretty decent, and the latest firmware allow you to use zonealarm (firewall) and pc cillan (anti virus).

It does a great job of protecting/routing , but I went thru hell to figure out a way to transfer files. [both my friend and I had the same router and it was really difficult for us to transfer files]

[dynamic ip]

anyhow we figured out some way.. and it's all good!

I like my Netgear RT311, I think it was one of the cheapest around and has done me well :) Also no problems with setting up initially or with port forwarding.

They also seem to be updating their fimrwares often which is good.

If you are planning to go add a laptop with wireless card - I highly recommend the Linksys router plus wireless access point. One thing to be VERY CAREFUL about is the chip vendor for the wireless card you get for the laptop. DO NOT GET ANYTHING that utilizes the Intercil chipset. They have been absolutely terrible about getting any of the *crap* to work under XP. Make sure you check the Windows XP Compatibility listing for wireless - they have been very much the stickler about the 802.11 stuff they certify and I would trust them in this case.

Lance