Version 3.3 - Themes

Hasi,

I think it is smart to remove the themes for now, and would not classify myself as a p***er and moaner :) Just think its smart. I mean what is the purpose of this awesome program? To look pretty or to install programs in a nice easy way? How long do you see all your hard pretty work? About 20 seconds? Lets not kill another awesome program by filling it up with things to make it look cool. Lets keep it lean mean fast and bug free.

my two cents.

Testing the .cmd file again on a few machines hasi and will get back to you. Could very well be a problem with my test box.

more to come.

Dennis

@dlevens:

I disagree. I think WPI has needed a facelift. The themes don't do much in terms of slowing down, and there's no requirement to use them.

I think they are a great addition, and a welcome one.

If they 'must' be removed (ie - hasi decides they're not worth the effort), then I'll just hope he somehow allows us to still implement them by replacing a few files.

Once again, I am a fan of the themes. My problem was with installing custom fonts which aren't so necessary.

Hey... what happened here? One night not paying attention and the themes are gone :(

I liked the theme support and for me 3.3.4 was working almost correctly. The only issue I have is that sometimes the column and pagebreaks do not correctly take the height of the columnheaders into account. I have the feeling that this is related to the custom font issue, as some fonts use a different default font height.

(I know that I can change the maxlines='' in wpi.css for each theme, but the problem above still remains)

I think I'm in agreement with a06lp that themes are great, but maybe custom fonts are not.

So please hasi, can you reconsider and keep the theme support in WPI?

I'm currently working on a way to satisfy both sides: me - for I want to use special fonts in themes, and all them who do not want fonts. I removed The buggy version from download to avoid more "what a s*** happened to WPI" posts, like the ones above.

I'm guilty of seeing things too complicated first place. I already found a solution, that won't lead to having wpi startup only with cmd and wsf (windows script host file). It's not fully finished yet - and I'm still testing. So releases won't come that fast and you'd have to be more patient.

Themes really worry me. I'd better not implemented them and left WPI as it was, since there are more and more posts that say 'columns don't work', 'resolution problem' ... themes lead to more problems than I thought....

With the upcoming of the wizards it was possible to have no knowledge of javascript and despite use WPI. So there are more and more unexperienced users trying to make use of WPI. That would really be possible, if I didn't add new functionality 'every day'. I see, that there's not enough time for you to test that thing. That's why I get all these 'Which version is stable ?' PMs.

So I'll test a bit more and release a bit less. Not every users wish must be incorporated that quickly, but please understand that I incorporate my own wishes and ideas to the program. I release these changes and let you participate (that was the idea of WPI's original authors, and it's a good one). You are not forced to download every new release.

Thank you for reconsidering and trying to keep the theme support :thumbup

So I'll test a bit more and release a bit less. Not every users wish must be incorporated that quickly, but please understand that I incorporate my own wishes and ideas to the program. I release these changes and let you participate (that was the idea of WPI's original authors, and it's a good one). You are not forced to download every new release.

I fully agree with your statements. Of course your own wishes and ideas have a higher priority then ours. You're the programmer.

Themes really worry me. I'd better not implemented them and left WPI as it was, since there are more and more posts that say 'columns don't work', 'resolution problem' ... themes lead to more problems than I thought....

First of all, thank you for reconsidering.

Second, if you want to cater to the 'unexperienced' crowd, i think (at least in v.3.3.2 - the last one i downloaded) it still works. Unexperienced users have a choice between default and vaio. Experienced users can edit the theme as they wish.

However, the 'columns don't work' error, I do not understand what that means...is this about the new feature you implemented about not breaking up a category?

as for the resolution problem- it was clearly stated, when you wrote that the vaio theme was only for 1024x768. If there's a problem with the new theme on other resolutions, users can switch back to default theme, or learn how to set their U-CDs to default to 1024x768 (really not that hard).

That said, if you want to remove themes altogether, I understand. Just leave some instructions on how those of us who still like em can apply them (manually, of course) to the regular WPI. ;)

No. I won't remove the themes. It's just, that I won't jump, when a single user PMs me that something doesn't look like he wants it. see here for an example. Has a brilliant topic title, too.

Or here.

They requested - I jumped. I know - my own mistake. That won't happen again. Not every problem will be solved immediately.

But of course there will be further development. At least from my side. It'll only take a bit longer - perhaps others might decide to do additional coding and every once in a while, we'll be merging the different codes. Good examples are Bulldogs changes to include more predefined directory variables, BlueLabel's cond-properties or the lang.js file.

We could even open a project on sourceforge for that.

I totally understand.

If this leads to every release being 'stable', then I'm all for it.

On the flip side, when you release a build of it, more people can test it out with their various configs and systems. This leads to more stability as whatever errors are found can be fixed.

Hasi,

Well I almost got themes removed :) Anyway, everyone knows my opinion so I will drop the request but will point out concerns when I see them. You are doing an awesome job keeping up with things Hasi, and smart to slow the releases down a bit. Just like my request feel comfortable shooting some requests down or pushing back. The majority seem to want themes I guess but like you said more importantly you actually want to use them. For me I played with some themes but saw that my hard work was shown on the screen for like 20 seconds, and usually less than 20 since I typically run wpi click then walk away. I was also frustrated that some machines would show my work great, some would be messed up, and some where the video driver did not detect and install in my unattended would look horrible. So if you do incorporate a way to turn off theme and font then awesome. I wont mention the column issue since from your posts it appears you already are aware.

One idea you may want to consider is marking some versions stable or current stable then release some newer stuff as beta so that as the newbies come around and pm you all the time you can just point them back to the latest stable version. As we test here and give you feedback on bugs you can then update your recommendation on the latest stable.

Dennis

@dlevens:

FYI - some ppl use WPI as an autorun on a cd with apps. so for some, it has nothing to do with unattended, so appearance does matter.

anyway it does look really good.

but you're right, no point arguing about this. :)

Ok. Themes are back in Version 3.3.5.

Tested it on various resolutions.

Seems to be stable.

Read the changelog.

WPI.cmd is documented inline.

Startup with .cmd OR .hta

Test it.

i've downloaded 3.3.5 but there is a problem with program's list...

there are my programs but....after that,there are a big list of checkbox with "PROGRAM" too...

why?

post-93-1105630597_thumb.jpg