Gamer insures fingers for £375K

Doggie

A 17-year-old computer gamer says he's looking to insure his fingers for £375,000.

Alex Nikitin from London is due to take part in this week's World Cyber Games in Korea after coming second in the UK heats.

With the world's top gamers allegedly earning as much as £200,000 a year, Alex reckons he needs to insure his digits.

Read more @ The Register

Actually, there are more than one LAN Clan with sponsors. A close friend of mine makes a very decent living playing games. It s all about money - money - money! I put myself through college playing snooker (Pool). The world has really changed.

Tris, yea. :)

We call any pool game "pool" really. Eight ball, Snooker, whatever. "Hey wanna go play some pool?" Pros will specify the game to another Pro I guess. Never gave it that much though till now to be honest. Alas, I have not picked up a stick in 20 years.

Actually, there are more than one LAN Clan with sponsors. A close friend of mine makes a very decent living playing games. It s all about money - money - money! I put myself through college playing snooker (Pool). The world has really changed

yea but do the others get a proper wage each month so they dont need to find a job ? im not just talking about prize money and crap for winning

The others get paid a proper wage if and only if they win - win - win. As I understand it, there are ten gamers worldwide that are a cut above the rest, and they receive monthly salaries to include bonuses. Travel expenses are also part of the agreement. Then there are the newbies that scare the regulars to death. As the sport gains more popularity and backers realize money as a motive to sponsor gamers a new industry evolves. LAN Fests are popular areas for scouts. Scouts, just like baseball etc scour the parties for talent. The real money is the betting that goes on behind the scene.