It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

un4given1

I understand that you had a very bad experience of W98. Was it 98 or 989SE?Because only SE is a wrokable OS.

But when you say, "it went almost away with XP" do mean you installed XP on the same computer as W98? I'm surprised that W98 crashed so often with 128Mb of ram and a CPU enough fast to run XP.

That being said, Adobe products sucks big time (I avoid them at any cost) and can cause w98 crashing, then a more stable system become necessary. Same with many high profile games when the computer is at the limit of requirement.

Now if you want to compare XP with a ferrari, ok, but I would never buy a ferrari: It consume too much gasoline. It's very big car with little room inside.

But if speed is concerned, then W98 is like an old BMW that break down from time to time, and XP is a new Rolls Royce, slower but more classy and reliable.

Dude, you're totally wrong, on my PC it supports 1 GB just fine from a fresh install! And if you have any problem the very article you posted a link to tells you how you can use a single line to clamp the disk cache! Did you even read your own link??

Maybe if you fired up 98 once every few years you would be more familiar with it.

Just becasue Win98 informs you that it registers over 512mbs of ram it does not mean that it can actully PAGE it. Belive me Win98 tops out at 512

|Drew|

un4given1

I understand that you had a very bad experience of W98. Was it 98 or 989SE?Because only SE is a wrokable OS.

But when you say, "it went almost away with XP" do mean you installed XP on the same computer as W98? I'm surprised that W98 crashed so often with 128Mb of ram and a CPU enough fast to run XP.

That being said, Adobe products sucks big time (I avoid them at any cost) and can cause w98 crashing, then a more stable system become necessary. Same with many high profile games when the computer is at the limit of requirement.

Now if you want to compare XP with a ferrari, ok, but I would never buy a ferrari: It consume too much gasoline. It's very big car with little room inside.

But if speed is concerned, then  W98 is like an old BMW that break down from time to time, and XP is a new Rolls Royce, slower but more classy and reliable.

I had been a PC technician back in the days of Windows 98 and Windows 98SE. When I say "Windows 98" I am meaning SE. Regardless of what you think of Adobe products, Premiere is the best out there, and it's what I was running. I couldn't very well let my $900 license for the software go to waste, now could I?

@Drewdatrip: Thanks for the backup.

Just becasue Win98 informs you that it registers over 512mbs of ram it does not mean that it can actully PAGE it. Belive me Win98 tops out at 512

I'm not sure about Win98 but we have been talking about 98 SE and your statement is completely FALSE for 98 SE. As I mentioned earlier, on my Win 98 SE PC I can see free RAM ranging from 1024 through 0 MB depending on how many programs I load, while my swap partition is unused (unless I load even MORE programs, then I have over 1 GB memory usage).

If the extra memory over 512 MB is magically coming from somewhere other than DIMM chips, while my hard disks remain silent, please let me know where its coming from.

It doesn't matter how many people post wrong information, it doesn't make the information correct.

If you are an IT admin as you claim then surely you have access to a 1 GB PC and a copy of 98 SE. Give it a try yourself since you don't want to listen to people that are actually using 98 SE right now.

I'm not sure about Win98 but we have been talking about 98 SE and your statement is completely FALSE for 98 SE. As I mentioned earlier, on my Win 98 SE PC I can see free RAM ranging from 1024 through 0 MB depending on how many programs I load, while my swap partition is unused (unless I load even MORE programs, then I have over 1 GB memory usage).

If the extra memory over 512 MB is magically coming from somewhere other than DIMM chips, while my hard disks remain silent, please let me know where its coming from.

It doesn't matter how many people post wrong information, it doesn't make the information correct.

If you are an IT admin as you claim then surely you have access to  a 1 GB PC and a copy of 98 SE. Give it a try yourself since you don't want to listen to people that are actually using 98 SE right now.

Don't be lame. When we say "Windows 98" we are refering to SE. And, I hate to tell you, your page file isn't just used when your system has used up all of your physical ram, it's constantly used.

Also, I am actually Director of IT. My credentials include full administration of Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003 in large corporate environments. I have experience with MS SMS, AD, Exchange, RIS, SharePoint Services and many other MS tools. I concider myself an expert with Command Script (you may call it Batch script, but that's incorrect) which you can so some searches on my old posts and verify this. I have been doing unattended XP installations for nearly 3 years now. I am fully capable of building, upgrading and troubleshooting both desktop and server hardware. I am very well versed in Windows XP registry. I have been interviewed by a member of Microsoft Press for my unique unattended methods for RIS installations, and am supposed to be featured in an upcomming book. I have used just about every piece of software and have a basic understanding of how to install, configure and use just about anything. I worked for Compaq, building high end servers.

Now, while I may not ALWAYS be right, I will bet you will find when it comes to anything computer related I am probably pretty close, or completely correct.

Now, I'm sure you will see that as arrogant. I don't care. I am good at what I do, and I completely believe that. I used to think that I knew everything... until I started working in corporate environments... then I got a kick in the face and realized that I didn't know sh*t.

If you wish to give me a little background on your credentials, I will gladly listen.

And, I hate to tell you, your page file isn't just used when your system has used up all of your physical ram, it's constantly used.

Usually 0 MB of my swap file is in use, at least according to programs like SiSoft Sandra. I'm not sure how much more "not used" it can be. Note that I use conservative swap settings so 98 SE goes to my 1 GB of physical memory first before going to the swap file.

If you wish to give me a little background on your credentials, I will gladly listen.

I thought we were discussing OS's, not posting our life histories on-line.

I thought we were discussing OS's, not posting our life histories on-line.
If you are an IT admin as you claim...

Well, I thought that's what we were discussing too... then you questioned my background.

I'm going to guess at this, but by your arrogance and your attitude I believe you are probably not out of school yet, or may have just gotten out. I'll bet you don't have an IT career yet. (don't try to convince me otherwise... noone in IT would EVER rave about 98... atleast not the hundreds I have worked with... they would say 2000 before they would say 98!) You are me, years ago. You think you know it all and won't let anyone teach you anything. I hope you grow out of this quickly... it won't get you anywhere.

Sorry Drewdatrip...

Anyways, I quoted that a few posts back... (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=37402&st=100#)

I was told...

And I have never seen this "Out of memory" error. Could it be because I have the unoffical SP installed??

Sounds like you haven't used 98 SE in a while, dude. Again, I urge you to actually TRY 98 SE on a modern PC with ~ 1 GB RAM. Don't bash 98 SE by comparing your use of it on an old unpatched, untweaked computer 3 years ago vs XP on a modern PC with the latest drivers and freeware. That's not really a fair comparison

Please drop the mem issue. You were wrong.

I was told...

You were also told 1 GB works fine on an unpatched, fresh 98 SE install. This is the case on my PC anyway. If you look at your own link you have the one line fix if there are any problems. As we've established that you are Bill Gates' personal IT admin, you should have ample resources to try this out yourself (but my guess is you won't).

I agree there is a mem limit but I don't know what it is - apparently some people use 98 SE with 1.5 GB RAM. 98 SE is already 5 years old and I still don't have enough RAM laying around to reach the limit.

Ok here is my opinion. There honestly come controversys going on here.

I also understand that both of you are fight over an OS that you personally use all the time. Of course if your using something all the time your going to help back it up.

Each OS fits your need in different everyday life ways. For me i would back up on XP. Big time. But i wouldnt know that much because i have used 98SE in forever.

@un4given1:

Also, I am actually Director of IT. My credentials include full administration of Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003 in large corporate environments. I have experience with MS SMS, AD, Exchange, RIS, SharePoint Services and many other MS tools. I concider myself an expert with Command Script (you may call it Batch script, but that's incorrect) which you can so some searches on my old posts and verify this. I have been doing unattended XP installations for nearly 3 years now. I am fully capable of building, upgrading and troubleshooting both desktop and server hardware. I am very well versed in Windows XP registry. I have been interviewed by a member of Microsoft Press for my unique unattended methods for RIS installations, and am supposed to be featured in an upcomming book. I have used just about every piece of software and have a basic understanding of how to install, configure and use just about anything. I worked for Compaq, building high end servers.

I wish i knew half that!!