Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
447 replies to this topic

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
As Johnny Carson would say,"Wrong, Microsoft- breath!" :lol:
I already told you i use all OS-- some more than others-- I can tweak XP until the cows come home if you wish: tweak pagefile sizes & partition location, enable udma, tweak dns cache & page rendering, turn off file indexing, have no fast-user switching on, no remote help, disable/turn down visual effects / themes service, no auto update... on & on ad nauseum.......
& i'm in no hurry to upgrade the win9x-- of course, that will change / is gradually changing as more and more program versions can only run on nt platform.... give it time.........yet.....

i have some neural / database programs that run multiple times faster on fat32 win98 than on ntfs platform & the 64-bit platform too(of course, they're not compiled for either)... Plus, when i occasionaly use office or photoshop, XP hasn't done it appreciably faster: its not like i'm clinging to Dos instead of Windows..... and btw the first versions of Windows didn't do anything any better-- perhaps worse actually-- than Dos, if you'll remember........

I don't know what else to tell you:
I don't use the computer as a game console, nor as a tv / jukebox.... and i don't do big, collaborative work projects at a mega-corporation....

I do use the computer for totally free telephone service with a real telephone number(not one of those 15 digit web ones either)-- actually have several numbers in different countries-- all free: ditched my telco...... so don't be afraid of VOIP-- ditch your phone co.! :lol:

I didn't climb on any soapbox to preach, only answered a request for opinions... :}

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

un4given1

un4given1

Elaborate Dreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
Don't get me wrong. I respect each of you for your own reasons... But when you have false opinions about something and you base your sole opinion on that then I have a problem. I understand not wanting to spend money, or just not having a system that can run XP. I respect anyone who is just "afraid" to upgrade because it's different. When Windows 95 came out I was in that boat. I refused to upgrade... Kept comming up with excuses about how much it sucked. I finally gave in and it wasn't so bad. I was even worse with Windows 98, believe it or not. Windows ME came and I jumped at it... what a mistake. Windows XP came and I couldn't wait to install it. I haven't poked around with Longhorn because I am not much of a fan of unfinished work, and that's what Longhorn is. I rely on my computer for too much to run a BETA system. I use it to VPN/RDC into work. I use it to do web programming. I use it to make custom spreadsheets and Access databases. I do video editing (hobby) and even photo editing. Since I switched to Windows XP I have been victim of less and less crashes, and more XPerience (pun) :) I'm not completely against Windows 98... I'm about to install it on my 2 year old's computer because it's just not been taking to XP well (500mhz, 256MB RAM) and she just loves her Blue's Clues!

Oh, and I'm not slamming your opinions... but like any great debate, I am simply supplying rebuttals. What upsets me is when someone answers a question with no real knowledge of both sides and just has no clue.
What if everything around you, isn't quite as it seems...
What if all the world you used to know, is an elaborate dream...
And if you look at your reflection, Is that all you want to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself... find yourself afraid to see?

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
We're basically saying the same thing. Plus, you have different needs with your multimedia work & other corporate work-- you're good to at least try a 64-bit system separately right now-- to get a head start--

I don't think you were so wrong to hold out on 95, and are dead-on re 98: both got beta-rush-released late in their namesake year, & took another half-year or more to issue their stable(sic) release... not as bad with 95-- windows 97 & 2000 would've been more fitting names. Shouldda jumped on 2K, ehh? At least you have the ME disk-- you can now apply MDGx's 98toME routine...

Windows 95--- for years i had a cheapass friend(he makes a lot of money) who stayed with it through XP's release: kept pestering everyone incessantly to help him with it & it's limited functionality-- "maybe if i add another 16mb ram: but it's so expensive!"... what a hump.....

I just haven't had stability problems with 98-- on myriad systems..... In fact, i set up a dual-boot system for someone's new computer last year: dual-lan gigabyte / w/ a promise raid setup: 98 & 2k. For all the concern re drivers for 98-- everything went flawlessly, but 2k barfed: pro, server, 2003, etc. would only start w/ the dual lan disabled. So, XP came to the rescue!!

You likely disagree, but I don't know that XP's proven it's a finished work-- & with Longhorn coming, it likely will never be.... Multi-boot & multiple hard disks is what i say--- for crucial work like yours i would want that safety net / immediate access / continue working....

Heck, let's just get a Sparc running Solaris....

soldier1st

soldier1st

I Work For The Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04
you mean linux
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
ok, linux too-- try solaris: free download from Sun...........

tim_horton

tim_horton

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined 18-January 05
:hello: hail 98se party on dudes...

bullet

bullet

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 28-October 04
I have to add my 2 cents worth in on this conversation. My first two official words

ACTIVE DIRECTORY

98 wishes it could have just a little bit of the capability that 2K and XP have with Active Directory. I work in a domain with all windows OS from 95 to XP. No it's not a typo I ment to type 95. 95 nor 98 even exist as far as active directory is concerned.

98 is a marginal OS that will suffice if all you do is surf the web and send email. If you are doing anything that needs to be secure then you would have to be a fool to even think about doing it on a 98 machine. 98 has absolutely no local security. I do think that 98 is a far better OS than ME just because of the stability issue. But when you try to compare 98 to XP then that is the same as comparing a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari. XP is in a whole other class. :yes:

There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
--W.C. Fields

tim_horton

tim_horton

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined 18-January 05
:hello: hail 98se tweakorama gotta make this os sing..

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Joined 23-November 04

Let's see-- depends on one's overall philosphy(btw i have every single MS software product-- os, business app, data / programming app, etc. & i install these on others' systems--I've multibooted a slew of OS, and i don't find XP to be more stable or faster than 98.  And as for work i think win2k, win2k3 pro / server is better suited. ):

1. Usually takes 2 years before an MS OS becomes a somewhat stable version-- winxp is still having major problems with various buggy patches to this day.

2. Depending on the base programming language / coding of one's programs-- i;m talking of business apps, not games--  they may not run faster, sometimes even slower on the nt platform.

3. Why overtax an older system with a resource hog.... drivers, etc. may not be totally compatible with all equipment....

I'm not a fan of having the very latest system in order that it's capable of handling multimedia while simultaneously working on the latest version Office or Photoshop-- i'll play games, tv, music in their appropriate components.

So now that i don't need that, getting winxp & a high end system seems like overkill-- there's nothing(work wise), no program i can't perform equally as well on win98 when i bring my work home.  Office 2003 & adobe suites run fine on it.  For private networks, vpn's, lan/wan,etc. again, i think the other nt counterparts are better than XP.  And as for those doing some specialized work: high end multimedia, graphics, cad, etc. ?  For them, better is Apple or workstation/supercomputers.... So what is so special about XP?

Therefore, i have no reason right now to want xp, ditto lcd screens(I can get several 22" crt's for the price of one lcd).  Now, if browsing was faster, programs ran faster, screens rendered quicker--- i'd gladly pay extra. 
But if I now decide to get winxp, i'll be paying less(street price) than when it first came out, won't have endured its initial bugs, etc.  The same will likely apply to Longhorn during the first couple of years-- what will one be able to do considerably faster with it, than with win2k/xp?  Ditto say, an Athlon XP system-- I'd rather buy 2-3 systems with that same money.

I have no love lost for the Wintel duopoly-- all we've been doing for them is being guniea pigs while paying thru the nose for the  privilege of being the first to beta test their initial releases.  To boot, they've held the industry back-- not just by squashing most entities with original products / ideas, but for one big reason:

Remember over 10 years ago, before the Pentium: IBM, Apple, Motorola-- as a consortium attempted to port superstation-class Risc processors to the desktop pc market, & MS initially agreed to compile windows for it?  They later reneged, and the rest is history.

JMHO....Good Question.

Realy get you point and in certain ways i agrea where new OS es ofter have bugs,
BUT I myself can't emegine running windows (overlay shell type versions 95/98/ME)
wich alll stil are running on top of a dos bassed Filesystem insteadl of Full system kernel OS-version like windows NT.... (3.5 / 4.0 / 5.0 / XP )...

For example the Top benefit of the NT-os is that you have better support for multitasked operations...
I myself am running Windows 2000 (windows NT 5.0), (with a lot of mods and tweaks, (thanx to MSFN ) and i realy am lots hapier than with XP of 98)...
[message of the .....whatever]
Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!
Where is the "any key" ???

jdgordon

jdgordon

• PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Joined 11-August 03
the only computers in the house that still have 98 are the laptops (p133 and p200 or something) which would work like a 1 legged dog
you are not your uptime stats

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
Hi, -I-:

I agree with you on NT re multitasking-- up to a point. I work with several database programs, live feeds, other browser sessions open: i've tried this on different computers & OS.... 2k/XP still complain. You like a tweaked 2k over XP, i totally agree with that.

And you know, i'm not doing constant remote/collaborative projects using exotic databases over far-flung networks.

I think one or two years from now we'll all be on the same page: with the next version of pci express, addressable memory in many gigabytes, subsequent upgrades of 64bit processor.....now you're talking--even if Longhorn were to still have significant issues, the performance difference would still be too great to avoid.

All the best to you.

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
win98 sings as cool as it crashes - take a look at this topic and decide for yourself!
Its too easy to crash win98
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
Cool... give us one for xp please! :w00t: (no excuses, has to be possible) B)

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04
I used Windows 98 at home on a Intel Celeron 333 until I got my own PC with TV-card.
Windows 98 SE ran fine showing tv-shows and recording them to HD, unless I didn't do anything next to it.
Multi-tasking in Windows 98 wasn't quite good, so i got framelosses etc. I got even more framelosses because uncompresssed AVI-files must be split up to avoid the 4 GB file limit on Fat32.
That's why I switched over to Windows XP SP1. I must confess Windows XP SP1 with default all services on feels slower than Windows 98 and consumes loads of memory. There were also lot's of security issues every week or so until SP2 came out. Now it's my favorite OS.
Since nLite is available I run a very minimalistic XP SP2 installation and all programs run even better!
Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
you've called it exactly like it is, hp38guser...

smokeyjoint

smokeyjoint

msfn dude

• 45 posts
  • Joined 16-January 05
B) i like 98se so much i built a site to help people get info on updates etc click below 4 link.

tim_horton

tim_horton

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined 18-January 05
:w00t: 7years and still working why knock it lets face it how many of you have install 98se on a friend or familys pc to get them up and running?and Xp been out 4 years and what did we get a service pack 2 yahoo gape gave us a sp 2 as well so hes buying us more time which is cool cause theres more freiend needing a quick install.

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

how many of you have install 98se on a friend or familys pc to get them up and running?

Not even once in the last two-and-a-half years. :w00t:

And SP2 for windows XP did not cause ANY problem at all. Been on the beta testers, for a year and so was quite ready for it. Got it before it was released to public, and treated it as a TOTALLY new OS - so did not upgrade and instead did a full clean roll-out to all machines. All working fine and better than before. :)
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

Nanaki

Nanaki

Leg-humper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Joined 17-January 05
I just upgraded my old Win98SE computer to WinXP, and now it runs better then ever. (mostly because of the built-in WLAN)

But, I must say, I like Win98SE better. I'e worked with it longer and got attached to it. And one thing that I hate, the activation. Dude, ffs. If you're gonna fight piracy, do it right. I have a legal copy and my old comp is still not upgraded. Well, it is, I just can't access it. I activated Windows in the start, as usual. I install all drivers and some programs (took over 2 hours). Next day I reboot. *BAM* "Your copy of Windows XP is not activated. Do you want to activate?". Clicking "No" results in a reboot. So I click "Yes". Now comes the goody stuff. I get another window, the registration windows to be precise, saying "Windows XP is already activated". What on earth? One button, "OK", and when you click it, your machine reboots. Again, it's a friggin legal copy.

At least with Win98 you were sure to get something for your money. Next week I'm gonna reinstall and I'm afraid. That can't be right.

Another thing, Service Pack 2. I don't really have stuff against it (I integrate it in my uA CD every time) but the 'upgrader' is so badly designed. First time I upgraded from a WinXP SP1 edition, it gave me errors when I was sorting my desktop or Start Menu. (lol :D ) Then I deinstalled it with the supplied uninstaller duh). I couldn't boot anymore! It gaves me critical errors on my winlogon.exe. I had to install a fresh copy and opy over the system32 folder to save my data. I worked on the system for a while (with lotsa errors) and formatted one month later. Installed SP2 on it and it works. But again, I was afraid of executing that SP2 installer again.

It's also pretty funny that - I think all- new functions were disabled. It goes popping up balloons all the time, disable. It launches a _second_ firewall, disable. It lowers the concurrent TCP-IP connections, disable. It upgrades MSIE6, err, stick with firefox. Is there anything left? :)
CDswitch - Making CD/DVD-switching fun. / VMcleaner - Cleaning your virtual memory by killing unnecessary tasks
WinampUser - Silently install multiuser functionality for Winamp / OfficeExec - Installing Office at T-12/cmdlines.txt
Dropper - Changing file properties by drag-'n-dropping (not for unattended use)

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
I think i know the reason of those activation "done but not done" hangups - is it an original, unhacked, licensed disk is all I'm gonna say. :whistle:
Winlogon.exe problems? Again its cause makes itself obvious.... We all know what its modified for.

Stay legit, and you'll see zero issues. And I shouldn't say this, but if a warez copy HAS to be used for some reason, ensuring that it was not a half-baked method used by the source, helps. You find too many kiddies who don't know what they are doing, but claim to have hacked XP - do not peruse their services, the above will result. :P

Discussion of cracks/activation-workarounds is inappropriate, so keep within rules though.

bullet

bullet

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 28-October 04
Nanaki,

I just upgraded my old Win98SE computer to WinXP

If you backed up your data onto some type of media and you obviously have the full install of XP because you said

I had to install a fresh copy

Why didn't you just do a fresh install from the begining? A clean install from the start would have spared you a lot of heartache. A clean install of a single OS is always better than an upgrade.

There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
--W.C. Fields

horsecharles

horsecharles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 21-January 05
May as well install it as double-boot--

smokeyjoint

smokeyjoint

msfn dude

• 45 posts
  • Joined 16-January 05
:thumbup new advanced for 98se from the project crew of mdgx gapes tiny etc are making 98se life expectency better it aint dead yet even thou i like xp alot im just fasinated by the ability to update enhance tweak a 9x better faster than ms ever did .long live se

tim_horton

tim_horton

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined 18-January 05
:whistle: hey i like 98se i like xp as well just wondering why people who switch to xp bash 98se .sure its not up to par but it works and the reason i heard from 98 users is the cost so they stay and nobody but power users want to lose their data from years of surfing migrating 2 xp .i guess a dualboot part of the answer but if i was running longhorn i still would say 98se aint all that bad

tim_horton

tim_horton

• PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined 18-January 05
:P i need more coffee brb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users