General SP2 boot screens questions!

Br4tt3

lo..

been reading the forum entries for customizing Win.. and tried all the stuff out with diffrent succes to the diffrent issues. I end up with a coupple of questions:

1. Does the editing of the NTOSKNRL.EX_ file guide(s) also incorporate SP2 versions of the file? Cuz when dealing with SP1 ver of NTOSKRNL.EX_ I can create an ISO and use it in VirtualPC with succesfull result. WinFP also reports that it cannot restore the original signed MS version of the file. Performing it on SP2 results in WinFP says the same thing but VirtualPC uses the original file ???

2. Is it a must to change all the instances of the specific file (NTOSKRNL.EX_) as to in driver.cab and so on. Seems to me it works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt, even if only change the file in the U.A i386 folder.

Regards

Sausage Eater

• 3 weeks later...

1. Works on SP2. Tried it with Boot Editor. Look at this post. Let me know if you need any help.

2. As far as I was aware there is only one instance of NTOSKRNL.EX_ in the I386 folder. Once you've created the new version of NTOSKRNL.EXE are you using the cab tool to compress it to NTOSKRNL.EX_?

The only reason you'd have multiple NTOSKRNL.EXE is if you wanted to have a safe boot option in case it doesn't boot after you add your new boot screen. But this is just for testing and once you have a working bootscreen the way you want, you'd just cab up the NTOSKRNL.EXE to NTOSKRNL.EX_ and pop it into the I386 folder in your Unattended XP CD ready for burning.

• 6 months later...

Hmm I think I did this right, I cabbed it up after downloading a custom boot screen, but on virtualpc it still does not load the custom boot screen. Seems pretty weird to me too because the only ntoskrnl.exe file on the virtual computer should be my edited one. ???

I've said this before... and I'll say it again. Modifying the boot screen itself is like playing with fire... you might end up with a dud computer!

Use BootSkin from StarDock instead. You'll always have the option of getting into Safe Mode to remove the boot skin if anything goes wrong, something that you can't do if you bugger up your ntoskrnl.exe file.

I've said this before... and I'll say it again. Modifying the boot screen itself is like playing with fire... you might end up with a dud computer!

Use BootSkin from StarDock instead. You'll always have the option of getting into Safe Mode to remove the boot skin if anything goes wrong, something that you can't do if you bugger up your ntoskrnl.exe file.

I know I have Bootskin, but I want to have it already in an install disc so it's always the same every time I install XP on somebody's computer. I think I'm going to have to go step by step through the guide again. I just get confused on it in a couple places.