ima setup problems with multi boot

parks

I am trying to build a multi boot DVD with DOS 7.1, Win98SE, and Xp Pro SP2 per flyakite's guide. I have read all the guide plus GOSH's guide and thread, plus various posts and threads here at MSFN.

The Problem: the XP segment works perfect using either cdshell or diskemu, but win 98 stops at: Now installing Win98 SE loading... bad command or file name and returns to the a:\> prompt. Dos 7.1 (the iso version obtained from http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71.htm) stops at: ms dos setup cannot locate the sources files...etc

The fact that xp works perfect suggests that the cdshell and diskemu are working as advertised and the nt setup is correct. The fact that win98/dos initializes but freezes at setup suggests that I failed to realize to define a source path correctly somewhere. I modified the autoexec per flyakites guide and the layout is verbatium per the guide. As no one else mentions any problems with ima files, I feel I have failed to see a very simple step SOMEWHERE concerning ima files.

Also flyakite mentioned extracting the Microsoft Corporation.img using ISOBuster and renaming it to a DAT file in the (boot sectors section). Doesn't this only pertain to NT technology ima's?

No, no, no... you are totally on wrong way! Only an IT-Expert can recognize your problem and give you help immediately:

Here is the sort answer:

If you install windows 9x/ME, you have to load the dos-based cd-rom driver in config.sys and autoexec.bat first!

Why?

At the first boot time, the mainboard bios of your computer is in "no-emulation" mode and you can access all the files/folders on your CD/DVD without the need to load extra driver for CD/DVD(direct access via mainbaord bios or massstorage controller bios).

After that, when you load the windows nt/2k/xp/2k3/linux-boot sectors, the PC keep in "no-emulation" mode but if load dos boot floppy image, the "no-emulation" mode must be terminated and change to "floppy-emulation" mode. At that time you can only access the contents of the floppy image witch was just loaded.

Thats the thing. My files match flyakites guide which includes the changes to the auto.exe and config This is the autoexec in 98se:

:EXT

%RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL

echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.

echo.

LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:W

echo.

set CDROM=FOO23

FINDCD.EXE

if "%CDROM%"=="FOO23" goto QUIT

cls

echo Now installing Windows 98 SE

echo.

echo Loading...

path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\SETUP\98SE\WIN98\

SETUP.EXE /IE /NF

echo.

GOTO QUIT

Doesn't the LH%ramd%:\MSCDEX....ensure the cd drivers are still in place. I know I can still manually access and in fact continue the install.

Bad batch-programming!

instead of the bad code

echo.
echo Loading...
path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\SETUP\98SE\WIN98\
SETUP.EXE /IE /NF
echo.

you should use the following:

echo.
echo Loading...