Free wireless

IcemanND

If a neighbor set up an unsecured wireless network hooked to their dsl would you use it or tell them how to fix it?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If a neighbor set up an unsecured wireless network hooked to their dsl would you use it or tell them how to fix it?

• Use it and not tell them
    • Tell them how to secure it
    • Offer to secure it if you can use it

I have a neighbor, I don't know who they just live close enough for me to receive their wireless signal, who recently set up wireless for his broadband and does not have WEP turned on. I'm of the mind to use it until he figures out how to secure it. I don't currently have broadband but was considering having it installed in the next few months.

As long as my computer had all the file sharing crap with Windows disabled and a good firewall, I'd use the connection for general browsing/downloading.

I definately wouldn't submit any personal information over the network though...

*null vote*

mainly cause i wouldn't feel like going around door to door to find out whos wireless it is.

In my opinion unless its a friend of mine i won't tell them, cause thats a risk you take when you go wireless, I got wireless i read the manual and my network is secure. But these other people just get wireless turn on the wireless access point and as long as it works they don't care.

I pick up 2 outside signals from my dads comp.. no security no WEP, nothing. just click connect and thats it. I bet they run the default workgroups too.. Workgroup or Mshome.

i set up a wireless access point for my uncle, originaly, i had security on it, but when i said no one else could connect to it, he told me to make it unsecure. its incase someone from my cusins school comes over and the bring the laptop.

point: most people keep the network unsecure because its easyer for them

also, most people dont know how to do that stuff, so they cant be blamed.

kinda like at my school lol.  walk by the front, im sure you'll find atleast 16 wireless access points  :lol:

No you won't... There's 4 different wireless access "networks" at our school... Two for the staff, one for the students (need permission from the admin), and one for "outside guest"... However, for all of them (except the "outside guest"), you need a username and password... They all have their SSID broadcast set to OFF, and anyone (like myself) can access the "outside guest" one... You just have to ask for the right SSID to access it! :)

Network Stumbler won't pick any networks up if there's no SSID being broadcasted. Also, the max number of wireless access points that you'll find in front of the school is probably 2 or 3 (not belonging to the school).

:)

IcemanND:

Sounds like you don't know well, socialize.... how 'bout offering him occasional tech support in exchange for officially allowing you in, while you help secure him a bit... This way, some techie relative comes over & sets them straight, won't affect you.. Or maybe he doesn't need securing: is the area fairly isolated, thus little probable threat... or signal can reach any nearby commercial area....

Heck i would use it. I mean if they dont have the time to secure it shall be free :) .... But i dont know.... I mean if you know your neighbors well then i think you should tell them and ask if you can use it for a small fee or something like that.

I know my immediate neighbors and know none of them have wireless set up. Since I fix their computer problems this is easily figured out. It's located in a large residential subdivision and like I said it would not be difficult to track down the house, though it might be nice if he renamed it to something other than DEFAULT, the same name as a secured network located somewhere the other side of my house.