Yet another Promise SATA/RAID problem

clsmith

I recently picked up a Tyan board with a Promise PDC20378 controller on it. I'm using it in SATA mode not RAID. I already had a built (nLite, SP2, custom unattended setup) XP-Pro CD that I've been using for a while but it didn't have the new drivers on it yet. So I started an install hitting the 'F6' button during the initial setup to install the 378 drivers. All seemed to go fine: hit 'F6', setup asked for drivers, hit 'S' and selected the XP SATA drives, hit 'Enter' to continue etc.... Setup then asked me which partition to use (it saw the disk!!) so I selected the partition, formatted it NTFS - then the problem started. Just as the text-mode setup started "generating a list of files to be copied" I got an error message telling me that "Setup cannot copy the file: UlSata.sys"! :(

At first I thought this was an nLite problem as when I used my original XP-Pro SP1 disk I was able to get past that copy point. Upon further testing I found that it wasn't nLite it was the unattended setup! :angry: If burned another nLite CD using the same files but removed the WINNT.SIF then setup was able to find/copy the UlSata.sys file - but I lost my unattended settings/scripts.

I did try and slipstream the drivers into the CD using GreenMachine's instructions but I got the same 'cannot copy file' error.

Any ideas?

CLS

...You can NOT load drivers from a floppy if you're using an unattended CD.

Got it. Thanks.

CLS

Unless you set Oempreinstall=No in your winnt.sif... (if I remember well)

EDIT: I think I'm wrong... :P Well, the reactions at this post will tell you ;)

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

Unless you set Oempreinstall=No in your winnt.sif... (if I remember well)

EDIT: I think I'm wrong... :P Well, the reactions at this post will tell you ;)

That's what I did. After searching (and finally reading :blushing:) all the posts regarding the promise 378. I ended up setting the OemPreinstall=No then hitting F6 and installing the drivers from a floppy. Then right after the first reboot I used a PECD to copy all the $OEM$ directories onto the drive before continuing setup - this worked but was WAY too involved for an "unattended" install.

The reason I took this, very indirect, route was that every effort I made to slipstream the Promise drivers failed miserably: most of the time it simply didn't work/didn't see the controller, and when it did work I got the BSOD after setup rebooted the second time.

I even tried the MassStorage Driver pack: Created a new directory and put the renamed promise drivers in there (with the edited .inf file.) Then edited the Winnt.sif to point to that dir. And edited the 'add_to_txtsetupsif_v008.txt' to use the new drivers. Again, no luck

Does anyone have a working TXTSETUP.SIF for the promise 378 controller (UATA mode not RAID)? :crazy:

CLS

What I've noticed with the driverpack is that if there is a RAID and non-RAID driver for the same controller, there's a good chance you'll have problems. If you wipe the one you don't want out of the driverpack, it seems to be better. I have evidence of this with the Si3112 and Si3114 controllers. I use the Promise378 on a regular basis in RAID mode, so I don't know about non-RAID. What about setting it up as a RAID 0 array and using RAID mode?

so, why can't you just use nLite to slipstream the sata/raid drivers into the install?

..every effort I made to slipstream the Promise drivers failed miserably: most of the time it simply didn't work/didn't see the controller, and when it did work I got the BSOD after setup rebooted the second time.

The simple answer is: I couldn't get it to work. Following GreenMachine's instructions, as well as other's I found searching the forum, got me to a point where setup would see the controller/drives but after the final reboot I got the BSOD every time. :(

CLS

Does anyone have a working TXTSETUP.SIF for the promise 378 controller (UATA mode not RAID)? :crazy:

This is what I have. I haven't gotten this to work flawlessly yet. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the drivers I'm using since I read somwhere that the ones on the disk were no good. When I had it running in onboard IDE mode it seemed to install perfectly, and it went all the way through gui setup, but then when it finished and it rebooted, it wouldn't boot into windows and all I got was the startup menu from there on out.

I just installed windows on an IDE drive, but windows still had trouble installing the raid controller driver, so I changed the drives to RAID mode and all was well with windows. I'm gonna try to get this to work this weekend, but I'm pretty sure this txtsetup will work.

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373, "UlSata"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3376, "fasttx2k"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373, "fasttx2k"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149, "viasraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149, "viapdsk"

[SourceDisksFiles]
fasttx2k.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4
ulsata.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4
viapdsk.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4
viasraid.sys = 100,,,,,,3_,4,1,,,1,4

[SCSI.load]
fasttx2k = fasttx2k.sys,4
ulsata = ulsata.sys,4
viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4
viasraid = viasraid.sys,4

[SCSI]
VT6420 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows XP)"
VT6420 = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller(Windows XP)"
fasttx2k = "WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 (tm) Controller"
UlSata = "WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) Controller"

files to copy and wincab:

Fasttx2k.cat

fasttx2k.INF

fasttx2k.sys

ptipbm.dll

ptipbmf.dll

ULSATA.CAT

UlSata.inf

ulsata.sys

viapdsk.cat

viapdsk.sys

viapide.inf

viasraid.cat

VIASRAID.INF

viasraid.sys

vssver.scc

After 5 weeks of working on the Promise Driver problem I have finally got it working flawlessly. I have an Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard with the Promise 20378 SATA Controller on it as well as the VIA SATA controller. Using Bâshrat the Sneaky's Mass Storage Driver Pack the VIA would install everytime but the promise would always fail to detect. This is how i got it working no matter which controller that you attach the drives to. This solution is not perfect but it works for me!!

Here is my TXTSETUP.SIF Config

[SourceDisksFiles]

hpt3xx.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
ulsata.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
ulsata2.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
fasttrak.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
viapdsk.sys  = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0004 = "hpt3xx"
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0005 = "hpt3xx"
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_100415BD = "hpt3xx"
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0006 = "hpt3xx"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&SUBSYS_80F51043&REV_02 = "ulsata"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&SUBSYS_80F51043 = "ulsata"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&CC_010400 = "ulsata"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3373&CC_0104 = "ulsata"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3D75 = "ulsata2"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_3D18 = "ulsata2"
SCSI\ProcessorPromise_SATA_Console____ = "ulsata2"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_5275 = "fasttrak"
PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_7275 = "fasttrak"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&SUBSYS_80ED1043&REV_80 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&SUBSYS_80ED1043 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_010400 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_0104 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "viamraid"

[SCSI.Load]

hpt3xx = hpt3xx.sys,4
ulsata = ulsata.sys,4
ulsata2 = ulsata2.sys,4
fasttrak = fasttrak.sys,4
viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4
viamraid = viamraid.sys,4

[SCSI]

hpt3xx = "HighPoint HPT3xx ATA100 Controllers"
ulsata = "WinXP Promise SATA378 (tm) IDE Controller"
ulsata2 = "Promise SATA Console SCSI Processor"
fasttrak = "WinXP Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite (tm) Controller"
viapdsk = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"
viamraid = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller"

I only have the ulsata and the ulsata2 drivers in the same folder. The problem all along was the promise drivers not playing nice with one another. I think the problem is actually the "fasttx2k" driver but i have not tested to see if this is the actual culprit. You can leave all of the drivers included in bashrats mass storage alone but i chose to remove the other promise drivers because i got tired of seing the BSOD! Hope this helps everyone having problems with Promise drivers!!

so, why can't you just use nLite to slipstream the sata/raid drivers into the install?

..every effort I made to slipstream the Promise drivers failed miserably: most of the time it simply didn't work/didn't see the controller, and when it did work I got the BSOD after setup rebooted the second time.

The simple answer is: I couldn't get it to work. Following GreenMachine's instructions, as well as other's I found searching the forum, got me to a point where setup would see the controller/drives but after the final reboot I got the BSOD every time. :(

CLS

Check out my post Here

I'm trying to get some input from some of the more advanced users on this board, but I haven't heard much yet.

After 5 weeks of working on the Promise Driver problem I have finally got it working flawlessly. I have an Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard with the Promise 20378 SATA Controller on it as well as the VIA SATA controller.  Using Bâshrat the Sneaky's Mass Storage Driver Pack the VIA would install everytime but the promise would always fail to detect.  This is how i got it working no matter which controller that you attach the drives to.  This solution is not perfect but it works for me!!

Two things that look foreign to me are hpt3xx and ulsata2. Are these for additional controllers that you happen to have in your system? I'm pretty sure those aren't on the A8V. I'll try using your configuration.

The ulsata2 driver was actually needed on this motherboard when i hooked a drive to the VIA controller so windows xp would find the SCSI driver for the promise controller.

Promise SCSI driver???? where's that? I only saw the fasttx2k and the ulsata drivers under the promise folder.